Windows keep crashing when I use Trados!
Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:16
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2003

Hi,
I hope someone may be able to help, I've got a dead-line tomorrow!
I've got Trados Freelance 5.5 and Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2000.
When I have worked my way in to a document- usually when I go through it the second time to edit after translating - Windows just crash and I get an error message from "Microsoft Word for Windows has got a problem and must be closed down"
In the error file winword.exe is mentioned but the rest I don't understand.

Thank
... See more
Hi,
I hope someone may be able to help, I've got a dead-line tomorrow!
I've got Trados Freelance 5.5 and Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2000.
When I have worked my way in to a document- usually when I go through it the second time to edit after translating - Windows just crash and I get an error message from "Microsoft Word for Windows has got a problem and must be closed down"
In the error file winword.exe is mentioned but the rest I don't understand.

Thank you in advance

Anette
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:16
English to German
+ ...
Be more specific, please Jun 15, 2003

Anette,
I'm not sure if we'll manage to track down your problem here, but in any case you will need to provide some more details.

Your topic states that Windows crashes; from your description, however, I get the impression that it's MS Word that is shutting down. The fact that winword.exe is mentioned as the file with the error would also indicate that your problem is in MS Word, not in Windows.

Precisely which version of Word 2000 are you using? The origin
... See more
Anette,
I'm not sure if we'll manage to track down your problem here, but in any case you will need to provide some more details.

Your topic states that Windows crashes; from your description, however, I get the impression that it's MS Word that is shutting down. The fact that winword.exe is mentioned as the file with the error would also indicate that your problem is in MS Word, not in Windows.

Precisely which version of Word 2000 are you using? The original installation, or one of the service releases (IIRC MS released two: SR-1 and SR-2 - check under "? - About")?

If you have an English version of Word 2000, can you quote the error message as exactly as possible (except for any address data quoted - that's gobbledegook...)?

Is there anything particular about the file at the point where Word crashes (tables, pictures, hidden data - make sure to display hidden text)? Have you tried to stop a paragraph before, and to resume a paragraph later?

Just a few shots in the dark...
Best, Ralf
Collapse

Geir Vikan
Geir Vikan  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2003)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
File size? Jun 15, 2003

Is this file (translation text)unusually large?
In case, it migth indicate a memory problem on your computer, causing Word to crash.
If possible, try splitting the file into smaller pieces, and see if it crashes or not.

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word keeps crashing -- Jun 15, 2003

Dear Ralf,
I have got Microsoft Word 9.0.28112
5.1.2600 Servicepack 1 build 2600
if that helps - as far as I know it is the original.
Sorry error message only in Swedish - but it is literally translated...

It usually happen when I am in editing mode (ie me doing editing) and I go back and forth in the text - I have now learnt to close the segment before I change anything that I notice in the other text - but if the cursor have jumped out of the segment at t
... See more
Dear Ralf,
I have got Microsoft Word 9.0.28112
5.1.2600 Servicepack 1 build 2600
if that helps - as far as I know it is the original.
Sorry error message only in Swedish - but it is literally translated...

It usually happen when I am in editing mode (ie me doing editing) and I go back and forth in the text - I have now learnt to close the segment before I change anything that I notice in the other text - but if the cursor have jumped out of the segment at the end of the blue box (which it does for some reason sometimes) that segment seem to get "corrupted" and then Windows just closes itself down- I have tried startin anew with the original document but when I come to that segment again it closes down again- I even try to trick it and start after that segment and that sometimes work but not always.

If you can help with this it would be wonderful - to keep opening the document takes a lot of my translating time as you can imagine.

TIA
Anette

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Anette,

Precisely which version of Word 2000 are you using? The original installation, or one of the service releases (IIRC MS released two: SR-1 and SR-2 - check under "? - About")?

If you have an English version of Word 2000, can you quote the error message as exactly as possible (except for any address data quoted - that's gobbledegook...)?

Is there anything particular about the file at the point where Word crashes (tables, pictures, hidden data - make sure to display hidden text)? Have you tried to stop a paragraph before, and to resume a paragraph later?

Just a few shots in the dark...
Best, Ralf
Collapse

Cecilia Aguila
Cecilia Aguila
Local time: 06:16
English to Spanish
Have you installed a new software lately? Jun 15, 2003

Hi Anette,

I don't know much about computers but I had a similar problem just two days ago. I had installed a new software before Word started crashing (An error message was shown and I was compelled to close the file. All the changes were lost). All I did was to unistall the software and everything went back to normal. Hope it helps.

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Insufficient memory size Jun 15, 2003

Upgrade to 512 MB and the problem will go away!

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrade Jun 15, 2003

Hi Sven,

I have 256 MB - but if you promise that will help I will.

Sven Petersson wrote:

Upgrade to 512 MB and the problem will go away!

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Splitting the file Jun 15, 2003

Hi Geir, thank you for your reply.
It does seem to affect my bigger files, which also may be due to memory size as Sven suggested - I have discovered though which is what I am doing now - that if I proceed slowly and do not move out of the segment boxes and wait for the saving to be truly finished after I press save,it seems to work.(fingers crossed )

Ha de
Anette

Is this file (translat
... See more
Hi Geir, thank you for your reply.
It does seem to affect my bigger files, which also may be due to memory size as Sven suggested - I have discovered though which is what I am doing now - that if I proceed slowly and do not move out of the segment boxes and wait for the saving to be truly finished after I press save,it seems to work.(fingers crossed )

Ha de
Anette

Is this file (translation text)unusually large?
In case, it migth indicate a memory problem on your computer, causing Word to crash.
If possible, try splitting the file into smaller pieces, and see if it crashes or not.
[/quote]
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
No warrenty! Jun 15, 2003

Dear Anette,

I can but tell that I had the same problem (with 256 MB installed), phoned MS and asked their advise (was told to double my memory), did as I was told, and the problem went away.

)

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Near enough Jun 15, 2003

They could have told me that when I bought my NEW computer a year ago.....
never mind..thanks Sven - I feel better now I am not the only one

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows keep crashing when I use Trados!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »