CAT Decision
Thread poster: Whisper9999
Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
English to Spanish
Document formats Oct 17, 2008

Cristina Coronado wrote:
Just out of curiosity, if you "recieve a web page" as you put it, is it XML or HTML or what is it usually? So, regardless if it's HTML or XML, Swordfish will handle it and deliver a translated web page in the same format?

That's correct. It doesn't matter if you receive HTML or XHTML, you can translate both with Swordfish.

There is a ist of supported document formats at http://www.maxprograms.com/products/swordfish.html

Regards,
Rodolfo

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Topic moved Oct 17, 2008

Seeing the direction the discussion is headed for, I think this thread is better off in this forum.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
French to English
+ ...
TEnT demos Oct 17, 2008

This site gives you a quick introduction to some of these tools with little demos showing how they actually work on a couple of sentences. It also provides a comparison chart of 13 of the leading Translation Environment Tools (TEnT).

http://www.translatorstraining.com/sito/tlp_premiumContent.php

David Turner

Whisper9999
Whisper9999
Local time: 00:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 18, 2008

Thank you all for your very informative comments!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:54
English to Czech
+ ...
Decision Oct 22, 2008

On Translatorscafe.com I recently read a congenial reply which said: "I can tell you what the best CAT tool is, but only if you tell me the best car to drive".

Couldn't think of anything better myself.

Your choice will depend on what you expect from your software. Trados is the world leader, so if you purchase a licence, you might experience a real boost in the number of incoming projects as most translation agencies employ it. At least it was so in my case.
There
... See more
On Translatorscafe.com I recently read a congenial reply which said: "I can tell you what the best CAT tool is, but only if you tell me the best car to drive".

Couldn't think of anything better myself.

Your choice will depend on what you expect from your software. Trados is the world leader, so if you purchase a licence, you might experience a real boost in the number of incoming projects as most translation agencies employ it. At least it was so in my case.
There are other, less expensive and comparably powerful tools, such as MemoQ or across, which is even free for freelancers.

So I can only second the previously mentioned "try-them-all" opinion. You will see which one of them suits you best.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Decision

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »