how to create a TM from an excel file and clean up an excel file to show both languages...
Thread poster: Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:31
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 16, 2008

Hi everyone.

I have an excel file half in German (odd rows) and half in Italian (even rows) which I can use as a reference for a translation project. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to create a TM from that file? It's really long (over 27000 lines) and I don't know any other ways than selecting line by line with the CTRL key to eliminate the odd or even lines and create a new file to align to the first. There has to be a better and easier way. Or at least I hope so.
An
... See more
Hi everyone.

I have an excel file half in German (odd rows) and half in Italian (even rows) which I can use as a reference for a translation project. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to create a TM from that file? It's really long (over 27000 lines) and I don't know any other ways than selecting line by line with the CTRL key to eliminate the odd or even lines and create a new file to align to the first. There has to be a better and easier way. Or at least I hope so.
And my translation will have to be the same, ie I shall use Trados/Tag editor to translate a German file into Italian, but then I need the output to show one line in German and its translation below in Italian and so on. How can I do that?

Thank you very much in advance for any help!!

Mara
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Copy to Word Sep 16, 2008

You can also do this in Excel, but I cannot give advice on that.
Copy the whole stuff into Word (the columns with text) and convert to text and back to table so that you get a two-column table. Convert to text again and save as txt. Depending on your translation software you have to import this some way or other.
Regards
Heinrich

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If you're sure... Sep 16, 2008

Mara Ballarini wrote:
I have an excel file half in German (odd rows) and half in Italian (even rows) which I can use as a reference for a translation project.

If you are really, really sure that Italian is only on even rows and German is only on odd rows, do this: insert a column to the left, and give it numbers starting with 1, then copy =sum(A1+1) etc, so that the entire column has numbers.

Then copy the two columns into MS Word, and convert the table to text. Now do find/replace to insert an extra tab next to each uneven number:

Find: [1,3,5,7,9]^t
Replace: ^t^t
(wildcards enabled)

Then copy everything back to Excel. Now the Italian will be in column 3, the German in column 2. So go to the top cell of German and insert a cell (moving all cells down), so that the German and Italian are now aligned.

I didn't try this out, but it should work.

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 17:31
English to German
... Sep 16, 2008

TecTranslate has come up with a nifty way of aligning Excel files in the following thread

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/59306-creating_tm_by_aligning_excel_rows-.html

I'm not sure, however, what your file looks like. If the German text is in column A and the Italian in column B, this method will work. If t
... See more
TecTranslate has come up with a nifty way of aligning Excel files in the following thread

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/59306-creating_tm_by_aligning_excel_rows-.html

I'm not sure, however, what your file looks like. If the German text is in column A and the Italian in column B, this method will work. If the German and Italian text are in alternating lines, however, i.e. if your file looks like this, some preparations will be necessary:

German
Italian
German
Italian
German
Italian

In that case, here's what I would do:

1. Type the following in an empty column next to the text, using a new line for each number:

This should give you a 1 next to a German line, a 2 next to an Italian line and so on.

2. Highlight these cells, move the cursor to the bottom right corner of the blue rectangle that appears and double-click. You should now have a 1 in every odd line (i.e. German) and a 2 in every even (i.e. Italian) line, right to the end of the file. In some cases, the list will stop at some point and you'll have to continue it from that point using the same method. So make sure that the list goes down right to the end of the file.

3. Set an Autofilter on the column you've just created. "Data" -> "Filter" -> "Autofilter".

4. Use the autofilter to display only lines with a 1, i.e. only German lines. Highlight the whole column with the German text in it and copy it into a new Excel file. You should now have an Excel file with only the German text in Column A

5. Repeat Step 4 showing only lines with a 2, i.e. only Italian lines. Highlight the whole column with the Italian text in it and copy it into Column B of the Excel file where you just copied the German text.

You should now have an Excel file with the German text in Column A and the Italian text in Column B.

6. Use TecTranslate's method as described above.

I hope I've managed to explain this so you understand what I mean.

HTH

[Edited at 2008-09-16 10:51]
Collapse

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very much guys Sep 16, 2008

I'll try your suggestions and let you know.
and yes, my text looks like this (unfortunately)

German
Italian
German
Italian
German
Italian

in the same column

cheers,

Mara

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:31
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX Sep 16, 2008

>I have an excel file half in German (odd rows) and half in Italian (even rows) which I can use as a reference for a translation project. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to create a TM from that file?
My easiest way is importing to SDL TM > TMX >Trados TM. [You have SDLX in Trasos 2007 package]. This applies after the autofiltering method of Irmer above.
OR
Use WinAlign [slower]
>It's really long (over 27000 lines) and I don't know any other ways than selecting l
... See more
>I have an excel file half in German (odd rows) and half in Italian (even rows) which I can use as a reference for a translation project. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to create a TM from that file?
My easiest way is importing to SDL TM > TMX >Trados TM. [You have SDLX in Trasos 2007 package]. This applies after the autofiltering method of Irmer above.
OR
Use WinAlign [slower]
>It's really long (over 27000 lines) and I don't know any other ways than selecting line by line with the CTRL key to eliminate the odd or even lines and create a new file to align to the first. There has to be a better and easier way. Or at least I hope so.
>And my translation will have to be the same, ie I shall use Trados/Tag editor to translate a German file into Italian, but then I need the output to show one line in German and its translation below in Italian and so on. How can I do that?
Repeat the process above retrospectively.

Regards,
SL
Collapse

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've tried, but always come across the same problem Sep 17, 2008

The autofiltering method is easy enough and the principle is great, but I don't know why it doesn't seem to work, ie, when I filter and get only the German text for example, I highlight it and when I copy it, it always tells me that there's too much info, to select adjacent lines, etc. and if I try to paste it into another excel file it gives me both the German and Italian text anyway. Any particular reason why this is happening?

thank you again!

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it worked!! Sep 17, 2008

just wanted to thank you all once again for all your suggestions. I've tried and tried and tried and with a mix of everything I've finally got my TM. Thank you!!!

Mara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to create a TM from an excel file and clean up an excel file to show both languages...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »