English Vocab Intuitive Entry on Japanese Windows?
Thread poster: Stephen H Gill
Stephen H Gill
Stephen H Gill
Japan
Local time: 14:15
Japanese to English
Sep 12, 2008

About to embark on a 900-page mineralogical dictionary translation (Jap to Eng), I realize that I'm going to need an intuitive vocab input system so that when I begin to type (into a Word file) a recurring chemical formula or long word, my computer will automatically offer memorized vocabulary that I can either accept, slightly alter or reject (instead of typing everything afresh each time). This project has almost no repeated phrases. It's the auto suggestion facility for memorized single words... See more
About to embark on a 900-page mineralogical dictionary translation (Jap to Eng), I realize that I'm going to need an intuitive vocab input system so that when I begin to type (into a Word file) a recurring chemical formula or long word, my computer will automatically offer memorized vocabulary that I can either accept, slightly alter or reject (instead of typing everything afresh each time). This project has almost no repeated phrases. It's the auto suggestion facility for memorized single words, symbols or formulae I'm after. My computer system (Windows 2000) is a Japanese one, so it only offers me memorized vocab in Japanese. I need to install/discover a way of having it do the same thing in English. Experimentally, I installed Quick Input freesoft from the net, but it has interfered with my system's predicative Japanese typing system (and I wasn't able to uninstall the software!). Any hints anyone? This is my first question to this forum, so if I should re-ask elsewhere, please tell me. Thanks for any ideas you have.

[Edited at 2008-09-12 14:22]
Collapse

AniseK
AniseK  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 13:15
Japanese to English
+ ...
Tricky... Sep 15, 2008

Have you tried posting this question under Japanese section?

I'd have thought that the vocab in Word is dependant on the Office version, not the OS language. Sorry I can't be of much help, I've stopped using Japanese OS seven years ago when I changed my PC.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:15
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Other suggestion Sep 15, 2008

Hi Stephen

Try searching already available threads in the technical forums, for instance: http://www.proz.com/topic/70512

Using the "Forum search" function you can refine that search: http://www.proz.com/forumsearch

Best luck,
Fabio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English Vocab Intuitive Entry on Japanese Windows?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »