Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:11
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please don't count me in Sep 2, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:
I KNOW that there are thousands of translators who would buy such a product/service. And I know that there will be hundred of translators who would be sharing their TMs. The question is what exactly and how exactly. The question is very simple. Why on earth should we relinquish a wonderful translator ressource like a global TM? Why should we still writting with a typewriter if there is already computers?

Please don't count me in! To me, your apparent lack of interest in matters I consider critical and essential to my activity, like confidentiality and copyright, is quite a sign that using your service would be incompatible with my beliefs. I like to think I am an ethical person. I make mistakes, fail and cause harm at times like everyone else, but I do try hard!

If some other person does not really care much about confidentiality and copyright, it's not my problem. I will continue to believe they are important.

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Like the electric companies Sep 2, 2008

The whole thing seems now to me like the electric/nuclear and oil companies oppossing solar energy.
Too expensive, too bad, not guaranteed, it does not work...

On the other hand, they own the solar factories: Siemens, Shell, BP, etc, so that they control the market if an independent producer want to start.

But now, there are new actors: China, India, Brazil, and these countries are changing the whole picture. And there are so many indepedent actors in developed c
... See more
The whole thing seems now to me like the electric/nuclear and oil companies oppossing solar energy.

On the other hand, they own the solar factories: Siemens, Shell, BP, etc, so that they control the market if an independent producer want to start.

But now, there are new actors: China, India, Brazil, and these countries are changing the whole picture. And there are so many indepedent actors in developed countries as well that they even are able to play with the same cards as the big corporatons (In Germany for example there is a debate about nuclear energy (to leave nuclear plants still working or close then), and all of a sudden, there are several reactor problems in nuclear plants in France (I don´t know if these problems even come out in the French news, probably not, but they appeared in the German news. What a coincidence! ). The small ones are so powerful now that they can even use the tricks of the sly old foxes.

I repeat, without tiredness, why on earth translate again and again something that was already translated and very well translated?
It is that simple!! Let´s concentrate on all the contents already available in Internet or the ones put available by the international organizations and big corporations. It is more thant enough.
Let´s make it technically available and viable.
The patent system will fall anyway, any soon.

We are in a new era, the era of collaboration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Editado a las 2008-09-02 13:11]
Collapse

Nicolette Scholte (X)
Nicolette Scholte (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
What does that have to do with it? Sep 2, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

But now, there are new actors: China, India, Brazil, and these countries are changing the whole picture. And there are so many indepedent actors in developed countries as well that they even are able to play with the same cards as the big corporatons(In Germany for example there is debate about nuclear energy (to leave nuclear plants still working or close then), and all of a sudden, there are several reactor problems in nuclear plants in France (I don´t know if these problems even come out in the French news, probably not, but they appeared in the German news. What a coincidence! ).

I repeat, without tiredness, why on earth translate again and again something that was already translated and very well translated?
It is that simple!!
Let´s make it technically available and viable.

Why are you involving the debate about electric/nuclear vs. solar energy?
This has nothing to do with translation.
The point is, that you are trying to get a new translations software/mega TM running, which is fine, no problem, but please don't try and tell me that this is a 'joint project' as you call it with 'all translators in the world working together' because it isn't.
In the end, you are the one asking for money for software (again not mentioned yet, but I just have a feeling that you will ask money for that) and the $30 a month for using it.
Please don't say that it is a joint effort, or a 'step forward' because it isn't. It's merely you filling your pockets with money from other translators who pay you so they can use a huge TM (one from amazing quality or one from horrible quality, I'm not even going to talk about that)

Again, no problem if you want help but state it from the start that you are out to develop some new and shiny software and that you want to sell it later on and don't say that it is a joint effort and all the translators in the world are united and all that stuff, because it isn't.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's your brand of coffee? Sep 2, 2008

Nicolette Scholte wrote:
Again, no problem if you want help but state it from the start that you are out to develop some new and shiny software and that you want to sell it later on and don't say that it is a joint effort and all the translators in the world are united and all that stuff, because it isn't.

What brand of coffee did you have today? I'll pay Eur 30 a Kg if necessary! I need it Nicolette!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Is that even possible? Sep 2, 2008

Nicolette Scholte wrote:
Mmm, I'm just getting an anonymous email through Proz...

I didn't know it was possible to send anonymous mails through ProZ.com.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it is possible Sep 2, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
Nicolette Scholte wrote:

I am not sure now, but I think it is possible. For instance a company interested in your services and who is not a member of Proz, but uses Proz's email to get in touch with you.

Nicolette Scholte (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't drink any! Sep 2, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

What brand of coffee did you have today? I'll pay Eur 30 a Kg if necessary! I need it Nicolette!

I don't drink coffee, hate the taste. Yegh! LOL
Two cups of English Breakfast tea though, strong with milk

The fact that I was up 3 hours earlier than usual this morning might have something to do with it

Nicolette Scholte (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Kind of anonymous Sep 2, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Nicolette Scholte wrote:

It wasn't completely anonymous, like the profile of the member was shown as a link in the mail, as well as the IP address and the original email address from the sender.
But to me it is anonymous if the person only signs off with his initials, and if there aren't any name or place details on his/her Proz.com profile.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
*yawn* Sep 2, 2008

The "era of collaboration" platitude is getting old.

I'm still waiting for Felipe to address Tomás's, Gabriela's, Nicolette's and other colleagues' very serious concerns in a clear, straightforward and serious manner.

[Edited at 2008-09-02 13:52]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you have a comfortable chair? Sep 2, 2008

Andrea Riffo wrote:
I'm still waiting for Felipe to address Tomás's, Gabriela's, Nicolette's and other colleagues' very serious concerns in a clear, straightforward and serious manner.

Andrea, I can only recommend that you sit down for that, as we say in Spain («¡Espera sentada!»).

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just a short story Sep 2, 2008

In 1930s, Mr Bata started large-scale manufacture of shoes in my country. Shoemakers (correctly) pointed out that their shoes were much higher quality but before they knew what hit them they were more or less out of market. Money talks.

In a way, this kind or rehashed global TM would be something in that direction, to higher automation and mediocre quality (or so I believe). I am on the side of those shoemakers, who made shoes to your individual feet.

I also may not kn
... See more
In 1930s, Mr Bata started large-scale manufacture of shoes in my country. Shoemakers (correctly) pointed out that their shoes were much higher quality but before they knew what hit them they were more or less out of market. Money talks.

In a way, this kind or rehashed global TM would be something in that direction, to higher automation and mediocre quality (or so I believe). I am on the side of those shoemakers, who made shoes to your individual feet.

I also may not know what hit me in the future if and when I opt out on schemes like this one (which I am sure to do); but I do believe some customers who pay more for better quality will remain, at least until I retire.

Antonin
Collapse

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Critical mass of top quality translators Sep 2, 2008

Apparently, the failure of Logoport has been not having known how to gain a critical mass of top translators to feed and continually improve the global TM.

And why? Because top translators were not interested. They felt cheated by Lionbridge.
What about a cooperative of translators, owned by translators, managed by translators?

Translators decide:
Format
Time
Price
The quality is so good, that there is no alternative.

But we ca
... See more
Apparently, the failure of Logoport has been not having known how to gain a critical mass of top translators to feed and continually improve the global TM.

And why? Because top translators were not interested. They felt cheated by Lionbridge.
What about a cooperative of translators, owned by translators, managed by translators?

Translators decide:
Format
Time
Price
The quality is so good, that there is no alternative.

But we cannot do nothing without a sufficient critical mass of top translators who feed and continually improved the global TM.
Clients will form a queue to get translations from such a cooperative.

[Editado a las 2008-09-02 15:05]
Collapse

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For those fearing the copyright... Sep 2, 2008

Just one example (of thousands possible)

www.tolingo.de

"§7 Nutzungsrechte

Werden durch die Übersetzungsleistungen insgesamt oder in Teilen Werke im Sinne des Urheberrechtsgesetzes erschaffen, steht Tolingo dafür ein, daß der Auftraggeber die Werke in Ansehung der ihm zur Verfügung gestellten Übersetzungen räumlich, inhaltlich und zeitlich unbeschränkt nutzen und verwe
... See more
Just one example (of thousands possible)

www.tolingo.de

"§7 Nutzungsrechte

Werden durch die Übersetzungsleistungen insgesamt oder in Teilen Werke im Sinne des Urheberrechtsgesetzes erschaffen, steht Tolingo dafür ein, daß der Auftraggeber die Werke in Ansehung der ihm zur Verfügung gestellten Übersetzungen räumlich, inhaltlich und zeitlich unbeschränkt nutzen und verwerten darf (einfaches Nutzungs- und Verwertungsrecht) Eingeschlossen ist das Recht zur Änderung und Weiterübertragung der Übersetzung und der ihr unterliegenden Rechte an Dritte. Ungeachtet dessen ist Tolingo zur unbeschränkten Nutzung und Verwertung der Übersetzungsleistung berechtigt. "

Unfortunately not in English, only in German.
How do you translate AGBs in English?
Collapse

Gabriela Mejías
Gabriela Mejías  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you live in Wonderland? Sep 2, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

Do you indeed believe it was because translators were not interested? Don't you think it was because they have enough common sense and ethics to reject such a proposal?
I'm afraid I need some tea...

But we cannot do nothing without a sufficient critical mass of top translators who feed and continually improved the global TM.
Clients will form a queue to get translations from such a cooperative.

[Editado a las 2008-09-02 15:05]

My advice is that of Tomás to Andrea: Do you have a comfortable chair to sit on?

It's useless... no way. You won't understand...

Nicolette Scholte (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dear Felipe... Sep 2, 2008

How would you feel if you had the idea that you are talking to a brick wall?
Because that is the feeling that I have when I'm (trying) to talk to you.

You just keep going on and on and on but refuse to answer the questions that are asked (not only by me), can I ask why you do that?
See this is a direct question from me, now my guess is that you will not answer that.

With regards,
Nicolette

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The global TM I want...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »