Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:24
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 14, 2003

Dear colleagues,

I need to translate documents in Excel files using Trados, but don\'t know how to do so. I usually work with Trados using Word and have translated with TagEditor, but the client always provided the bif files ready for translation.

Could you please let me know what to do? The material is extremely technical, so I need Trados. Any information provided will be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Blanca

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:24
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Which version of Trados do you have? May 14, 2003

If you have Trados 5.5 or higher you can do it by going to T-Windows, then choose T-Windows for Excel, then go to File and Open (and choose your Excel file.)

I hope this helps,

Monika

[ This Message was edited by: monika on 2003-05-14 23:43]

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
My method May 15, 2003

I have Trados 5.5 , and my method is quite simple: I open Excel and Word. I select all the text in Excel, Copy it, and Paste it in a new Word document. It will be transferred in the form of a Table. So, to start you just place the cursor at the beginning, as you would with any other Word document. Once the translation has been done, checked, and cleaned, you select the whole thing and paste in Excel. Voila!

Best of luck

Haydée

See more
I have Trados 5.5 , and my method is quite simple: I open Excel and Word. I select all the text in Excel, Copy it, and Paste it in a new Word document. It will be transferred in the form of a Table. So, to start you just place the cursor at the beginning, as you would with any other Word document. Once the translation has been done, checked, and cleaned, you select the whole thing and paste in Excel. Voila!

Best of luck

Haydée

[addsig]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:24
English to German
+ ...
Careful with restricted cell length May 15, 2003

Copying and pasting between Excel and Word is no problem in principle; just beware of a restriction affecting Excel 8 (Excel for Office 97): the maximum cell length is set to 255 characters - if you have an Excel file generated with a newer version, the copy&paste process will truncate longer cells. Otherwise, the process should work fine, and using Workbench in Word is less cumbersome than T-Window (note that this is a problem concerning Excel vs. Word, rather than the Trados front end under Wo... See more
Copying and pasting between Excel and Word is no problem in principle; just beware of a restriction affecting Excel 8 (Excel for Office 97): the maximum cell length is set to 255 characters - if you have an Excel file generated with a newer version, the copy&paste process will truncate longer cells. Otherwise, the process should work fine, and using Workbench in Word is less cumbersome than T-Window (note that this is a problem concerning Excel vs. Word, rather than the Trados front end under Word vs. T-Window).

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:24
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Why coping and pasting if you have T_5.5?? May 15, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-15 03:19, two2tango wrote:

I have Trados 5.5 , and my method is quite simple: I open Excel and Word. I select all the text in Excel, Copy it, and Paste it in a new Word document.

Hi Haydée,

why don\'t you use the T-Collection for Excel?? It works smoothly without any extra copying a... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-15 03:19, two2tango wrote:

I have Trados 5.5 , and my method is quite simple: I open Excel and Word. I select all the text in Excel, Copy it, and Paste it in a new Word document.

Hi Haydée,

why don\'t you use the T-Collection for Excel?? It works smoothly without any extra copying and pasting!

You only need to create a project, once you have opened the T-Collection and follow very easy steps... I admit that other CATs process segments more quickly (in my experience), but it might be my personal impression..

Blanca, if you know how to work with TagEditor, T-Collection is an easy walk through (I hope you have it!)

Best,

Giuliana

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Blanca Amoroso
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 15, 2003

Unfortunately, my Trados version is 5.0, so I am still in trouble. I was thinking the method described by twotango could be a solution, but I have tried before for other jobs and experienced the problem indicated by Ralf. Maybe there is another way, but I still need to find it.

Thanks for your help!!

Blanca.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:24
English to German
+ ...
Only in Office97 May 15, 2003

Hi Blanca,

Quote:

I was thinking the method described by twotango could be a solution, but I have tried before for other jobs and experienced the problem indicated by Ralf.

Note that this only affects Office97 - if you have someone who can do the transfers in Office 2k or XP, you should be ok.

Best, Ralf

Blanca Amoroso
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 15, 2003

Thank you very much to al of you,

Kind regards,

Blanca.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate Excel files using Trados, help requested

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »