Parallel port won\'t accept dongle
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 00:48
German to English
+ ...
May 13, 2003

(I have seen similar questions on the Trados problem site, but with no answers apart from the dongle test, which I have tried.)

About a week ago, Trados stopped working on my PC - it restricted me to demo mode and wouldn\'t let me open the Workbench. I contacted Trados, who sent me a second dongle, which had the same problem. Nothing showed up in the dongle tests, the drivers are up-to-date and Trados works fine on my laptop with the same dongle.

Trados
... See more
(I have seen similar questions on the Trados problem site, but with no answers apart from the dongle test, which I have tried.)

About a week ago, Trados stopped working on my PC - it restricted me to demo mode and wouldn\'t let me open the Workbench. I contacted Trados, who sent me a second dongle, which had the same problem. Nothing showed up in the dongle tests, the drivers are up-to-date and Trados works fine on my laptop with the same dongle.

Trados support told me it must be my parallel port, but the printer is working fine. Has anyone had any similar experiences or does anyone have any bright ideas about how I can solve this?

Thanks! Ian
Collapse

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
Can't you connect it to your USB port May 13, 2003

maybe a solution??????

good luck

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope! May 13, 2003

Nope! You need a different type of dongle for that - but thanks anyway.

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Install software again, maybe? May 13, 2003

Hello,

Maybe you could reinstall Trados again to see if it makes any difference.

Also, did you try to configure the drivers? You can do it as follows:

Under Start, choose the Trados option and then the option that is related to Dongle drivers. Choose the configuration option.

After that restart your computer and see what happens.

Also, did you try connecting the dongle to the computer without any other
... See more
Hello,

Maybe you could reinstall Trados again to see if it makes any difference.

Also, did you try to configure the drivers? You can do it as follows:

Under Start, choose the Trados option and then the option that is related to Dongle drivers. Choose the configuration option.

After that restart your computer and see what happens.

Also, did you try connecting the dongle to the computer without any other devices connected to it (e.g. printer)? If not, maybe you could try that as well.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Mónica

[ This Message was edited by: mmachado on 2003-05-13 18:48]
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Some Printers Break Dongle May 13, 2003

Some printer makes (Brother, HP, Canon & Epson) or a zip drive can break the dongle if they are connected on top of the dongle.

I discovered that first hand when I purchased a Brother printer a couple of years ago .

See this Trados Knowledge Base article:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=760

See more
Some printer makes (Brother, HP, Canon & Epson) or a zip drive can break the dongle if they are connected on top of the dongle.

I discovered that first hand when I purchased a Brother printer a couple of years ago .

See this Trados Knowledge Base article:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=760

Jørgen
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
Danish to English
+ ...
test program May 13, 2003

The Trados test program will examine your dongle and let you know what is wrong. See the URL in the comment from Jørgen. It is easy to download and test, and you can let Trados know the answer so they can help you solve the problem.

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 14, 2003

Thanks for all your suggestions. Actually, I have tried all these things already, but - as Albert says - the USB port is still an option, so I can always ask the beautiful people at Trados to send me one of those. Thanks again, Ian.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
you've probably done that but...tighten screws? May 14, 2003

I had the same problem after attaching my zip drive to the parallel port on top of the dongle.

But all I had to do was check connections and tighten the little screws...

Roberta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Parallel port won\'t accept dongle

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »