Passolo help ! "Invalid data format (Z116)" - file will not open
Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:45
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 12, 2008

I wonder if anyone here knows about Passolo?
I have been working on a large file that all of a sudden will not open without me being aware of any problems with it. I saved it without any problems, but unfortunately did not keep a copy of the saved file.
I get the message "Invalid data format (Z116)"

When I open a completely "fresh" file, and run auto-translate as you would with a Trados-file, it does not recognize the terms that have been translated previously. So it loo
... See more
I have been working on a large file that all of a sudden will not open without me being aware of any problems with it. I saved it without any problems, but unfortunately did not keep a copy of the saved file.

When I open a completely "fresh" file, and run auto-translate as you would with a Trados-file, it does not recognize the terms that have been translated previously. So it looks as if a week's work is lost and delivery is tomorrow morning! I am a bit desperate as the agency for the job is closed today

Anette

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-05-12 10:09]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:45
French to Polish
+ ...
More details... contact the support... May 12, 2008

Anette Herbert wrote:

Which version are you using?
You are saving Passolo files on the network or locally?
If your version is earlier than 6.0.05, the files saved an the network may get corrupted.

When I open a completely "fresh" file, and run auto-translate as you would with a Trados-file, it does not recognize the terms that have been translated previously.

Unlike in Trados, Passolo project file is simultaneously a TM.
If you loose this file, all your translations are lost.
You should have made backups (yes, I know I'm a bloody bastard...) or have sent the units to a glossary (or external TM, if an add-in is available, e.g. for Trados).
Please, note, the units are not sent automatically to the glo/TM, the hotkey Ctrl+F10 should be used for every unit (in the full Passolo versions, the glo/TM export can be automated).

So it looks as if a week's work is lost and delivery is tomorrow morning!
I am a bit desperate as the agency for the job is closed today

Contact immediately the Passolo support.
They may be able to repair the file.

Cheers
GG

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do you save backups in Passolo? May 12, 2008

Thank you very much for your quick reply GG! I have Passolo 2007, the Translator Edition.
Unfortunately nobody told me I needed to back up the files. How do you do that in Passolo?
I could not see any Save as..function, which otherwise may have prompted me to save a backup-version.

I will contact the bureau tomorrow and hopefully they have access to Passolo-support who could repair the file.

Anette

[Redigerad 2008-05-12 12:56]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Precedent file versions on Vista? May 12, 2008

Anette Herbert wrote:

Thank you very much for your quick reply GG! I have Passolo 2007, the Translator Edition.
Unfortunately nobody told me I needed to back up the files. How do you do that in Passolo?
I could not see any Save as..function, which otherwise may have prompted me to save a backup-version.

Simply close Passolo and copy the file to another directory.

BTW.
You may use some backup software and run automated backup tasks during the night.
A basic backup utility is provided with Win XP Pro and some "better" edition of Vista (AFAIK, Business/Ultimate).

I will contact the bureau tomorrow and hopefully they have access to Passolo-support who could repair the file.

Just write to the guys and explain your desperate situation.
They are rather friendly.
Try first [email protected]

BTW.
You use XP or Vista?
If Vista, point the .tpulic700 file, type Alt+Enter in order to display the file properties and see if some precedent versions are available (fourth tab).
The same function is available on Windows 2003 Server, so if you store your files on a Windows server, you may have a litle bit of chance...

Cheers
GG

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XP unfortunately May 12, 2008

That simple, hmm. I should have thought of it.

Thanks I now have.

BTW.
You use XP or Vista?
If Vista, point the .tpulic700 file, type Alt+Enter in order to display the file properties and see if some precedent versions are available (fourth tab).
The same function is available on Windows
... See more

That simple, hmm. I should have thought of it.

Thanks I now have.

BTW.
You use XP or Vista?
The same function is available on Windows 2003 Server, so if you store your files on a Windows server, you may have a litle bit of chance...

I don't use a server and I don't have Vista, only XP.

Are there any settings for where the different file versions are saved in Passolo itself?
I notices that the "Today"-file had several versions of the same file a couple of days ago. Can you set it to display several on previous dates perhaps?

Thanks again for your help.

Anette
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Project names in the Welcome screen May 12, 2008

Anette Herbert wrote:

BTW.
You use XP or Vista?
If Vista, point the .tbulic700 file, type Alt+Enter in order to display the file properties and see if some precedent versions are available (fourth tab).

I don't use a server and I don't have Vista, only XP. [/quote]
Generally, me too...
I started to use Vista in production one week ago...

Are there any settings for where the different file versions are saved in Passolo itself?
I notices that the "Today"-file had several versions of the same file a couple of days ago.

Probably you opened this file directly from your e-mail message or from a zip file.
Or you copied/moved the file.

Can you set it to display several on previous dates perhaps?

Passolo displays the previous dates (or more "Today" projects with the same name) by default if the file location differs.
I don't think it's your case

I leave for approx. two hours.

Cheers
GG

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Passolo thank you. May 12, 2008

Thank you, I'll let you know if anything interesting comes up in regards to this error.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Anette

SCA Translat (X)
SCA Translat (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Any update on this? Nov 29, 2012

Dear Anette,

Did you resolve the problem by that time and if so, could you kindly let me know how you did?

I am struggling with exactly the same problem at the moment.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Long time ago but... Nov 29, 2012

Dear Sabrina,

It was 4 years ago and I have not used Passolo much since then so all I can say is that is seems as if it helped to copy the file to another directory but I can't remember the details. Could your project manager help? They are usually good at the tools they ask us to use. Try it!

Good luck,

Anette

SCA Translat (X)
SCA Translat (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
No help so far Nov 30, 2012

Dear Anette,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Unfortunately, the project managers are completely clueless.
I also tried to copy the file to another directory, but the problem remains.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo help ! "Invalid data format (Z116)" - file will not open

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »