help in invoicing
Thread poster: lina Mavroudi
lina Mavroudi
lina Mavroudi  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:17
English to French
+ ...
Apr 12, 2003

could you please inform me how is a translation invoiced when containing repetitions and using trados?

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:17
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
according to arrangements... Apr 12, 2003

Hi,

I am not sure I have understood your question.... are you referring to rates?? This has to be agreed in advance with your client / agency.

There are some Trados Schemes, I use the following one:

0% - 75% = 100%

76% - 99% = 60%

100% match = 30%

From TWB Analyse you get to know about repetitions and the amount of words per range.

My invoices reproduce the analyse log (I
... See more
Hi,

I am not sure I have understood your question.... are you referring to rates?? This has to be agreed in advance with your client / agency.

0% - 75% = 100%

76% - 99% = 60%

100% match = 30%

From TWB Analyse you get to know about repetitions and the amount of words per range.

My invoices reproduce the analyse log (I attach) and rate scheme, let\'s say:

xxxx wds à EUR x.xx (0% - 75%),

yyyyy wds à EUR x.xx (76% - 99%)

vvvvv à EUR x.xx (100% match).

I hope this answers your question...

Giuliana

[addsig]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:17
English to German
+ ...
fuzzy rates Apr 13, 2003

I offer discounts as below:

0.10 EUR/word Translation

0.03 EUR/word review bilingual

0.02 EUR/word review monolingual

35.00 EUR/hour in general

Trados leveraged words:

0.10 EUR/word No Match

0.10 EUR/word 50%-74%

0.09 EUR/word 75%-84%

0.08 EUR/word 85%-94%

0.03 EUR/word 95%-99%

... See more

Trados leveraged words:

0.10 EUR/word No Match

0.10 EUR/word 50%-74%

0.09 EUR/word 75%-84%

0.08 EUR/word 85%-94%

0.03 EUR/word 95%-99%

0.02 EUR/word 100%

0.02 EUR/word Repetitions

Collapse

claude
claude
Thailand
Local time: 15:17
English to French
Important point Apr 13, 2003

Other replies are right but it is important to mention that, as the fare is based on source words, it is different for every language pair. As for eng --> fr, the fare for the \"new words\" is generally 20% more than the usual target word fare.

Sometimes, depending on how the files have been generated, you can have a lot of tags, and you may have to reinsert tags even in the 100% words. This occurred to me and it is better to check before.

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Very simple: no discount for fuzzy matches Apr 13, 2003

Normally I don\'t give discounts for repetitions, except when the number of repetitions in a project justifies a discount. In that case, I have only two rates:

100% matches: 30 to 40% of the full rate

0-99% matches: full rate.

My motivation: checking and correcting a fuzzy match often takes as much time as translating it. Moreover, I paid for my CAT tool (Déjà Vu in my case), not my client. If my client agrees to pay my software licence, I am
... See more
Normally I don\'t give discounts for repetitions, except when the number of repetitions in a project justifies a discount. In that case, I have only two rates:

My motivation: checking and correcting a fuzzy match often takes as much time as translating it. Moreover, I paid for my CAT tool (Déjà Vu in my case), not my client. If my client agrees to pay my software licence, I am prepared to give discounts.

Believe it or not, not one client has refused to work with me under those conditions, even agencies! Do not let them fool you into giving unreasonable discounts, professional clients have more respect for a translator who defends his rights than for a translator who says yes to everything they ask him.

Joeri
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Joeri Apr 13, 2003

You are the one doing the work. It is therefore up to you to decide how much time is saved by using semi-automated methods to detect repetitions. Against that saving, you need to consider (as Joeri mentions) the investment (time and money) entailed by a CAT tool, and you should also consider whether you are expected to check supposed \"matches\" for correctness in the relevant context.

Despite what some software vendors would like them to think, buyers of translation service
... See more
You are the one doing the work. It is therefore up to you to decide how much time is saved by using semi-automated methods to detect repetitions. Against that saving, you need to consider (as Joeri mentions) the investment (time and money) entailed by a CAT tool, and you should also consider whether you are expected to check supposed \"matches\" for correctness in the relevant context.

Despite what some software vendors would like them to think, buyers of translation services are not in a position to determine productivity savings. Make that clear to them if necessary!

Marc
Collapse

lina Mavroudi
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for your advice Apr 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-13 11:13, MarcPrior wrote:

You are the one doing the work. It is therefore up to you to decide how much time is saved by using semi-automated methods to detect repetitions. Against that saving, you need to consider (as Joeri mentions) the investment (time and money) entailed by a CAT tool, and you should also consider whether you are expected to check supposed \"matches\" for correctness in the relevant context.... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-13 11:13, MarcPrior wrote:

Despite what some software vendors would like them to think, buyers of translation services are not in a position to determine productivity savings. Make that clear to them if necessary!

Marc

Collapse

lina Mavroudi
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you so much for your prompt reply Apr 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-12 19:20, docgy wrote:

Hi,

0% - 75% = 100%

76% - 99% = 60%

100% match = 30%

From TWB Analyse you get to know about re... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-12 19:20, docgy wrote:

Hi,

0% - 75% = 100%

76% - 99% = 60%

100% match = 30%

My invoices reproduce the analyse log (I attach) and rate scheme, let\'s say:

xxxx wds à EUR x.xx (0% - 75%),

yyyyy wds à EUR x.xx (76% - 99%)

vvvvv à EUR x.xx (100% match).

I hope this answers your question...

Giuliana

Collapse

lina Mavroudi
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-13 09:03, claude wrote:

Other replies are right but it is important to mention that, as the fare is based on source words, it is different for every language pair. As for eng --> fr, the fare for the \"new words\" is generally 20% more than the usual target word fare.

Sometimes, depending on how the files have been generated, you can have a lot of tags, and you may have to reinsert tags even in the 100% ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-13 09:03, claude wrote:

Sometimes, depending on how the files have been generated, you can have a lot of tags, and you may have to reinsert tags even in the 100% words. This occurred to me and it is better to check before.

Collapse

lina Mavroudi
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot Apr 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-13 08:10, Harry_B wrote:

Trados leveraged words:

0.10 EUR/word No Match

0.10 EUR/word 50%-74%

0.09 EUR/word ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-13 08:10, Harry_B wrote:

Trados leveraged words:

0.10 EUR/word No Match

0.10 EUR/word 50%-74%

0.09 EUR/word 75%-84%

0.08 EUR/word 85%-94%

0.03 EUR/word 95%-99%

0.02 EUR/word 100%

0.02 EUR/word Repetitions

Collapse

lina Mavroudi
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-13 10:58, King Darling wrote:

My motivation: checking and correcting a fuzzy match often takes as much time as translating it. Moreover, I... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-13 10:58, King Darling wrote:

My motivation: checking and correcting a fuzzy match often takes as much time as translating it. Moreover, I paid for my CAT tool (Déjà Vu in my case), not my client. If my client agrees to pay my software licence, I am prepared to give discounts.

Believe it or not, not one client has refused to work with me under those conditions, even agencies! Do not let them fool you into giving unreasonable discounts, professional clients have more respect for a translator who defends his rights than for a translator who says yes to everything they ask him.

Joeri

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help in invoicing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »