Thread poster: Ralph Jung
Ralph Jung
Ralph Jung
Ireland
Local time: 08:04
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 7, 2003

Does anyone know of any scripts/programs that \"do magic tricks\" with Trados TMs?

I\'m thinking of reversing a TM to translate the other way around (i.e. EN>NL becomes NL>EN). I know that Wordfast supports this, but I was wondering if there\'s another way.

Also, if I have 2 different language pair TMs that have one language in common, I\'d like to merge them in a way to support a 3rd language combination, provided that there are enough matches. (i.e. EN>NL and EN>DE become N
... See more
Does anyone know of any scripts/programs that \"do magic tricks\" with Trados TMs?

I\'m thinking of reversing a TM to translate the other way around (i.e. EN>NL becomes NL>EN). I know that Wordfast supports this, but I was wondering if there\'s another way.

Also, if I have 2 different language pair TMs that have one language in common, I\'d like to merge them in a way to support a 3rd language combination, provided that there are enough matches. (i.e. EN>NL and EN>DE become NL>DE or DE>NL)

I\'m currtenly brushing up my Perl knowledge, and I\'m sure it can be done, but I don\'t necessarily want to re-invent the wheel. Any comments are welcome.

Cheers,

- R a l p h -
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:04
English to German
+ ...
Simpler solution... at least to your first question Apr 7, 2003

Quote:

I take it you\'re fully aware of the potential linguistic problems involved.

It doesn\'t take a \"magic trick\", though: just export... See more
Quote:

I take it you\'re fully aware of the potential linguistic problems involved.

It doesn\'t take a \"magic trick\", though: just export the TUs from your EN>NL memory into a text file, create a new EN>NL memory (or use an existing one) and import the text file. Done.

Regarding your second question, I believe this is possible, but haven\'t tried it yet. Have you checked the archives, or posted your question on TW_users?

Best regards, Ralf Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:04
English to German
+ ...
I sometimes write such programs in Perl.. Apr 7, 2003

..until now only for MultiTerm, as output from text extraction and formation scripts, but it would work the same way for the TM.

After you exported some data, you can easily understand the format.

I think that Perls \"regular expressions\" are the best tool to process text.

Ralph Jung
Ralph Jung
Ireland
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies Apr 16, 2003

The reversing of TMs is indeed simple; didn\'t think of that approach...

As for the linguistic aspects, I\'m very careful and I\'m using the filter functions of Workbench to apply penalties in such cases.

I\'ll have a look at Trados user forum; thanks for the link!

- R a l p h -

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:04
German to English
+ ...
TMs and Perl Apr 16, 2003

Ralph,

Sorry about the late reply - I didn\'t see your post originally. Two things:

Firstly, consider converting your memories to TMX format. Not only is this the industry-standard format for portable TMs, it is also XML, and so is easier to manipulate, search, etc. by means of scripts.

Secondly, there is what looks like a very helpful article on using Perl for this purpose here:
... See more
Ralph,

Sorry about the late reply - I didn\'t see your post originally. Two things:

Firstly, consider converting your memories to TMX format. Not only is this the industry-standard format for portable TMs, it is also XML, and so is easier to manipulate, search, etc. by means of scripts.

Secondly, there is what looks like a very helpful article on using Perl for this purpose here:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4667/st.html

I say \"looks like\" because I\'m a tcl scripter. If you write any useful scripts in Perl and would be willing to donate them to the open-source community, please let me know!

Marc

www.marcprior.de
Collapse

Ralph Jung
Ralph Jung
Ireland
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cross-language aligning script nearly finished May 26, 2003

I've finally finished a first working version of "XL-Align". I already had EN-NL and EN-DE memories. My script takes the common language (EN) and creates a DE-NL memory (or NL-DE). The Creation User (CrU) is set to ALIGN!, so you can easily apply a penalty to the aligned TU's, as if they were created with Winalign.

Once the script is suitable for all languages, I'll probably put it on my website for people to download.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scripts that merge/convert/reverse Trados TMs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »