Can't select previous words anymore in Croissant
Thread poster: krzysiekswiatly
krzysiekswiatly
krzysiekswiatly
Local time: 17:40
Aug 12, 2019

Hi,

I have been using CafeTran since 2014 and in the previous versions the regular shortcut for selecting and highlighting previous words (mainly to delete them):

shift + option + left key (on Mac)

worked like in any other application but in 10.5 Croissant I cannot use it - when I press this combination of keys nothing happens (it still works as usual in other apps though).

Do you know how to make it work again?

Best,
... See more
Hi,

I have been using CafeTran since 2014 and in the previous versions the regular shortcut for selecting and highlighting previous words (mainly to delete them):

worked like in any other application but in 10.5 Croissant I cannot use it - when I press this combination of keys nothing happens (it still works as usual in other apps though).

Best,
Krzysztof
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Bug on Mac ... Aug 12, 2019

krzysiekswiatly wrote:

Hi,

Best,
Krzysztof

Probably this is related to a known Java (?) bug on Mac. On my Mac (with keyboard layout PC International) the bug is 'only' triggered when I use the right ALT key (which I try to avoid).

The remedy (on my Mac) is to restart CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant.

Hopefully, the next version of Java will solve this bug.

krzysiekswiatly
krzysiekswiatly
TOPIC STARTER
Java Aug 12, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Probably this is related to a known Java (?) bug on Mac. On my Mac (with keyboard layout PC International) the bug is 'only' triggered when I use the right ALT key (which I try to avoid).

Hello Hans,

I see, I will try with the left option key and see if it works. Thank you.
EDIT: Yes it does work but - as you mentioned - only until you try to use the right one, than you have to reset the program which is really annoying because I use the right option key automatically.

I didn't think this is a Java issue as the bug doesn't appear in a previous version of CafeTran (Gandalf from 2015).

krzysiekswiatly
krzysiekswiatly
TOPIC STARTER
Key remap to the rescue Aug 12, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Hello again,

So I gave it a thought and remapped right option key to function as a left option key (using free software called Karabiner-Elements) and now it works as a perfect workaround
Thanks a lot for the info!

Best,
K.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Thanks for your confirmation Aug 14, 2019

krzysiekswiatly wrote:

So I gave it a thought and remapped right option key to function as a left option key (using free software called Karabiner-Elements) and now it works as a perfect workaround

I have been playing around with this solution myself (but found it too intrusive at the time). Thanks for your confirmation that it works. I take it, that it's not possible to limit the remapping to specific apps (e.g. CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant)?

krzysiekswiatly
krzysiekswiatly
TOPIC STARTER
Remap profiles Aug 14, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

I have been playing around with this solution myself (but found it too intrusive at the time). Thanks for your confirmation that it works. I take it, that it's not possible to limit the remapping to specific apps (e.g. CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant)?

In Karabiner you can have several profiles, I set two - one with standard keyboard options and another named CafeTran just for CafeTran with the right option key remapped to the left one.
You can switch between the profiles from a menu bar widget.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't select previous words anymore in Croissant

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »