Which Linux flavors does CafeTran support?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Sep 18, 2012

Hi Igor,

Exactly which Linux flavors have been tested with CafeTran and which of them do you support officially?

Do you support the latest Ubuntu version, for instance?

Cheerio,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran for Linux Sep 27, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

Exactly which Linux flavors have been tested with CafeTran and which of them do you support officially?

It would be interesting to know, on which Linux flavours exactly CafeTran performs great – since I think that many Linuxistas are desperately looking for a good CAT tool.

Hans vd B, what can you tell us about your Linux experiments lately?

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:32
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
CafeTran on Linux Ubuntu Sep 27, 2012

Hello Hans,

CafeTran is tested on Linux Ubuntu. it will probably run on every Linux distro if you have Java installed there. Being pure Java application, it has exactly the same functionality on Linux as the Mac OS and Windows versions.

Igor

Hans Lenting wrote:

Hi Igor,

Cheerio,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran on Ubuntu Sep 27, 2012

[quote]Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Hello Hans,

CafeTran is tested on Linux Ubuntu. it will probably run on every Linux distro if you have Java installed there. Being pure Java application, it has exactly the same functionality on Linux as the Mac OS and Windows versions.

Igor

[quote]Hans Lenting wrote:

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not familiar with Linux but after reading this here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/swordfish_support/232342-sf_on_linux_a_warning.html

it was my understanding that the fact that a certain CAT tool works on a certain Linux version, doesn't imply that it'll work on another Linux flavor ...

Hans

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:32
English to German
+ ...
You have to test it Sep 27, 2012

I really don't know about CafeTran, never used or even installed it, but if it is a 100% Java application, it should run everywhere, much like OmegaT.

However, an application may be Java-based on the surface, and yet use a number of underlying libraries which are part of the platform proper; typically in the case of CAT tools, the program may depend on certain database libraries/engines/daemons. There are other potential problems, depending on the program's features and construction
... See more
I really don't know about CafeTran, never used or even installed it, but if it is a 100% Java application, it should run everywhere, much like OmegaT.

However, an application may be Java-based on the surface, and yet use a number of underlying libraries which are part of the platform proper; typically in the case of CAT tools, the program may depend on certain database libraries/engines/daemons. There are other potential problems, depending on the program's features and construction. In the case of Swordfish, some problems I had were clearly database related. Others seemed to arise from an HTML display engine incompatibility (WebKit).

At any rate even pure Java programs have to rely on platform-dependent subsystems for some functions, e.g. printing. And given that the Linux world is highly fragmented, with many (often subtle) differences even between distributions which are closely related (Ubuntu and Mint come to mind), it's always preferrable to test it and see how far you get. If the program is provided through your distro's package system, there should be no problem whatsoever (theoretically at least). If not, you have to do your own tests.

Unfortunately, that's just how it is on Linux, and quite unlikely to change anytime soon.

[Edited at 2012-09-27 13:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-09-27 20:25 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Okay, who volunteers? Sep 27, 2012

opolt wrote:

And given that the Linux world is highly fragmented, with many (often subtle) differences even between distributions which are closely related (Ubuntu and Mint come to mind), it's always preferrable to test it and see how far you get.

Thanks for the explanation and 'Freiwillige, vor!'

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
You don't need to use databases to work with CafeTran Sep 27, 2012

opolt wrote:

However, an application may be Java-based on the surface, and yet use a number of underlying libraries which are part of the platform proper; typically in the case of CAT tools, the program may depend on certain database libraries/engines/daemons.

For what it's worth: You don't need any database to profit from CafeTran. I have my terms in a simple UTF-8 list and my Memories in plain-text TMX files.

Isn't she a beauty.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Ubuntu 12.04 Sep 28, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:
Freiwillige, vor!

Your wish…

VirtualBox: 4.1.20
Ubuntu: 12.04

I don't understand Ubuntu's file system yet (if there is one), so I couldn't attach any databases at this stage. It only took me four hours to get to this point, and I blame Java for it. Or Ubuntu. Not myself, of course.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Immoff Arsenault
Michael Immoff Arsenault  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:32
French to English
+ ...
Looks great Oct 8, 2012

Sweet!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Linux flavors does CafeTran support?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »