Thread poster: DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 2, 2020

Dear Prozians,

I directly know that copywriters and transcreators do have a duty to carefully select the information and comprehend the intercultural peculiarities to embody specific abstract notions in plain words and pictures, considering the audience, traditions, stereotypes, trends, and so on.

Not long ago I got a seemingly commercial offer with a weird jungle picture, I thought it was a slight misnomer. Then it was allegedly a serious email with a funny GIF embedd
... See more
Dear Prozians,

I directly know that copywriters and transcreators do have a duty to carefully select the information and comprehend the intercultural peculiarities to embody specific abstract notions in plain words and pictures, considering the audience, traditions, stereotypes, trends, and so on.

Not long ago I got a seemingly commercial offer with a weird jungle picture, I thought it was a slight misnomer. Then it was allegedly a serious email with a funny GIF embedded. Another showy offer with big rainbow funny fonts didn't get my attention either. And now I got a business offer with a brick wall picture, what makes me wonder... It would be better without any pics.

How would you describe such a vogue and what associations should it trigger for you?--Mesmerizing reliability? Colossal construction prospects? Grandiose plans benefits? Dead-end job fears? Just a trick to avoid the Spam folder? Something else?

TY
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Amateurs Jun 3, 2020

They clearly didn’t realise they were dealing with a true professional with biz skills

Mervyn Henderson (X)

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Way of thinking: Free association Jun 3, 2020

Thank you, Chris. You are right all legit offers either about (1) bringing more money/benefits or (2) saving costs by solving [real or hypothetical] issues. So, besides wording, it's about certain un/pleasant associations, using specific pictures and charts to intensify the message.

As an American, what would you think about a serious offer from a northern country with a jungle picture (not logo!), a propose with an animated smile or, say, an quite neutral offer with a brick wall
... See more
Thank you, Chris. You are right all legit offers either about (1) bringing more money/benefits or (2) saving costs by solving [real or hypothetical] issues. So, besides wording, it's about certain un/pleasant associations, using specific pictures and charts to intensify the message.

As an American, what would you think about a serious offer from a northern country with a jungle picture (not logo!), a propose with an animated smile or, say, an quite neutral offer with a brick wall pic?

May be just a perfect mishap, yet I use different emails and recently got several such offers from some $100-$250 membership to $150,000+ deals with real business addresses/entities, and I wondered.

A trendy scream--or just overthinking, perhaps.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
🇺🇸 Jun 3, 2020

As an American, ah’d probly be too busy lootin’ and shootin’ to worry too much ’bout unexpected graphics in an email 😱 (scream from a northern country)

I guess one of the benefits of being a pure translator is that I don’t get offers like that. Which is also good because I don’t suppose I’d understand them if I did.

DZiW (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sorry, Chris ... Jun 5, 2020

... but I have to correct you here, because it's not lootin' and shootin'. The correct term is "a-lootin' and a-shootin'", which also lends it a more gleeful, carefree staccato rhythm. As in, for example, the Casey Jones theme tune:

Casey Jones, a-steamin' and a-rollin'
Casey Jones, you never have to guess
When you hear the tootin' of the whistle
It's Casey at the throttle of the Cannonball Express

Christopher Schröder

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copywriting and Connotation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »