How can I write a translation quote for text included in images?
Thread poster: Jennifer Ocquidant
Jennifer Ocquidant
Jennifer Ocquidant  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:04
English to French
+ ...
Nov 19, 2019

Dear colleagues,

I'm trying to figure out a way to create a translation quote for a client who sent me bits of text included in images, and for which I can't get a word count.

Is there anyone who could let me know how to proceed to know how I can calculate the volume of work and then charge for this kind of text?

Thanks a lot in advance!

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 13:04
English to Polish
+ ...
wordcount based on translated text Nov 19, 2019

Hello

You could arrange with the customer that you will account for the text from pictures after translation based on wordcount from the translated file.

Also, if there are not many pictures, you could try and count the words from pictures yourself.

If you have any good OCR that will extract the text from pictures, that may also be an option.

Cheers
Kate

Morano El-Kholy
FATİH ORUÇ

Jennifer Ocquidant
Jennifer Ocquidant  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:04
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wordcount based on translated text Nov 19, 2019

Thank you very Kate for taking the time to send me some ideas.
There are 35 files so I can't count the words manually. I'm also trying to use various OCR tools, but none so far has managed to convert properly the text included in the images.
However, thank you for mentioning the possibility to charge the client based on the translated words. That might be a good and fair option!

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
What I do Nov 19, 2019

Count the words manually in five representative files. Then scale up the result.

If the files are similar you count the words in one file manually, and the number of lines. That gives you the number of words per line. Then you count the number of lines in a couple more pages. That gives you the average line count per page. Then multiply by number of pages, adjusting for empty space as you go.

John Fossey
Kevin Fulton
Jennifer Ocquidant

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hourly? Nov 19, 2019

Could you perhaps estimate the time you will spend on this job and charge an hourly rate?

Jennifer Ocquidant
Ivana Kahle
Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If there are a lot of files, your normal word rate wil be far too low Nov 20, 2019

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Could you perhaps estimate the time you will spend on this job and charge an hourly rate?

You may even find it quicker to forget about the CAT and retype the text the old-fashioned way.
Charge in any case for pre-processing the files so that you can see the source text and translate it, so that you are paid for your time.

I would either set up my laptop to show the files while I worked on my desktop computer, or print out the source files if there was a lot of text on each page.

Then I would simply translate from scratch - and charge for my time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I write a translation quote for text included in images?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »