https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/338782-translation_sw_changing_the_way_we_work-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translation SW changing the way we work
Thread poster: Vincent Lemma
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
@Samuel Nov 20, 2019

That's if you were sent the CAT tool file. I usually only get sent a Word file.

Christine Andersen

Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:53
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
spot on! Nov 20, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Vincent Lemma wrote:
Please share your experiences and opinions.

Well, you've already taken a step in the right direction to reduce the amount of work that is required, by writing "SW" instead of whatever the full form is that "SW" stands for. (joke, sorry)

Vincent Lemma wrote:
Of course, they say, this means that jobs now are only revision and so rates applied will be that for revision on MT.

Well, that's a bummer. It means that either you diversify and become a reviser, or you look for another client. However, note that if you do decide to become a reviser, what they're asking for is NOT revising. What they're asking for is translating for a cheaper rate, using pre-inserted words that you might be able to use as a typing aid. If it is truly revising, then they should be paying you by the hour (and believe me, revising machine translation isn't much faster than just translating from scratch).

I have vast knowledge in the tech[nological?] fields (also applied) and just felt that I should not be selling my services for the cost of a revision.

Something vaguely similar happened to me: for one of my clients, I also used to be quite skilled at doing a certain type of translation, and then the client changed their workflow to something that not only reduced the amount of work I was able to do but also ignored the skill I had and tried to replace it with a convoluted QA system.

Has this ever happened to any of you...?

Yes, one of my biggest clients who used to put a high value on quality translations switched over the "inhouse" machine translation systems for most of their jobs... and the "inhouse" tool is worse than Google Translate (so... whenever I get such jobs, I'm often tempted to just use Google Translate, for it'll be quicker and better).

[Edited at 2019-11-19 12:00 GMT]

You got it, they want cheap translations... I would rather go out for a walk with my dogs
All jokes aside, I refuse to sell my knowledge at low rates, as I have also worked in prestigious places such as the Polytechnic of Turin, preparing courses in English for electrical engineering, hence I have a firm grip on my work areas with applied knowledge. Then, by all means, they have to do what's best for them, but I see lots of unhappy customers in the future... for them

Janet Muehlbacher

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:53
French to Chinese
+ ...
取其精华,弃其糟粕 Nov 21, 2019

“取其精华,弃其糟粕” is an old saying since antique China.
It means to achieve the quintessence and to discard the dross of it.
I can't say that CATs are 100% useless, but they are probably going to be there even longer than I am no matter what.
So I think we'll just have to get USE to it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation SW changing the way we work

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »