Translation agency requires copy of passport
Thread poster: Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Local time: 14:36
Member (2003)
German to English
Oct 8, 2019

A translation agency has just asked for a scanned copy of my passport for me to be added to their database, apparently in order to comply with ISO 17100:2015. I've registered with much bigger agencies, but never been asked for this before and find it very odd to provide a company, which may well just be 20 people in an office, with a copy of my passport. Has anyone else experienced this?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Scan and redact Oct 8, 2019

farolingo wrote:
A translation agency has just asked for a scanned copy of my passport for me to be added to their database.

Scan your password and then redact the sensitive information from it. You can e.g. make a photo copy of it, cut out or cross out the sensitive information, and then scan it. Or you can use a program like XnView's Filter > Effects menu to scramble some of the text in a JPG file. I think the agency mostly want to see something that looks like a passport page, with your name on it, so you can redact most other information (even the photo, I think).

In a recent similar thread here someone said that redacting a copy of one's passport is illegal in some countries, but I have been unable to confirm that.

Daniel Jeory

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 08:36
English to Russian
+ ...
At least in the US Oct 8, 2019

This kind of personal data phishing from non-employees and remotely is illegal and can be reported.

Instances when I did indeed have to send scanned passport copy did not require any clarification or support from Proz:-), and it was sent via secured channels.

Daniel Jeory
Sheila Wilson

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 8, 2019

The thing with this ISO 17100:2015 is that it's a standard about office procedures. I remember my former boss telling us that basically you just had to show that you had a system and that everyone complied with it. You could write that policy was to print up all orders and put them in a blue folder, then when inspectors came to check, you'd lose points if the folder was in fact yellow.
So if the agency needs your passport to comply with that standard, it simply means that the person who d
... See more
The thing with this ISO 17100:2015 is that it's a standard about office procedures. I remember my former boss telling us that basically you just had to show that you had a system and that everyone complied with it. You could write that policy was to print up all orders and put them in a blue folder, then when inspectors came to check, you'd lose points if the folder was in fact yellow.
So if the agency needs your passport to comply with that standard, it simply means that the person who dealt with applying for that standard decided that all translators would have to provide a copy of their passport, that's all. If translators all refused to supply their passport, they'd have to change their policy. There's absolutely nothing in ISO 17100:2015 to say that all vendors have to supply their passport.
You could always say you don't have one, after all it is not compulsory. EU citizens can travel to 27 other countries without showing one!
Collapse

Daniel Jeory
Sheila Wilson
Marco Belcastro Bara
Philip Lees
Christine Andersen

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 08:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Especially Oct 8, 2019

Considering the growing wave of translation agency impersonations, I would not do that, ever.

It makes no sense anyway - no dumb bureaucrat in the remote translation agency can verify the authenticity of the scanned passport copy or guarantee the safety of the data. You can tell then that

Sheila Wilson
Philip Lees

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 8, 2019

Yes, very good point Kay, thanks for the reply! I have to say, I went straight to the standard myself and could see nothing about requiring vendors to supply passports!

Kay Denney

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 8, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

farolingo wrote:
A translation agency has just asked for a scanned copy of my passport for me to be added to their database.

Scan your password and then redact the sensitive information from it. You can e.g. make a photo copy of it, cut out or cross out the sensitive information, and then scan it. Or you can use a program like XnView's Filter > Effects menu to scramble some of the text in a JPG file. I think the agency mostly want to see something that looks like a passport page, with your name on it, so you can redact most other information (even the photo, I think).

In a recent similar thread here someone said that redacting a copy of one's passport is illegal in some countries, but I have been unable to confirm that.

Great idea Samuel.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No requirement whatsoever to disclose personal data Oct 8, 2019

farolingo wrote:
I went straight to the standard myself and could see nothing about requiring vendors to supply passports!

In fact, it could well be a contravention of GDPR if either you or the client is within the EU. Your passport is your personal data and no client has a right to it. They have a right to something that confirms your identity as a professional provider of translations, that's all. And the standard only requires them to take steps to make reasonably sure that they're dealing with a professional and not somebody in some chat-room pretending to be someone they aren't. What you provide and what they choose to accept/reject are matters for negotiation but you, no - we - shouldn't allow ourselves to be "forced" to give our personal data. Politely refuse, explain why, and suggest an alternative.

Daniel Jeory
IrinaN
Philip Lees
Christine Andersen

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 8, 2019

Sheila Wilson wrote:

farolingo wrote:
I went straight to the standard myself and could see nothing about requiring vendors to supply passports!

In fact, it could well be a contravention of GDPR if either you or the client is within the EU.

Thanks Sheila. I completely agree. Yes, we are both situated in the UK, which for the time being at least, is still in the EU. Frankly I'm quite flabbergasted they have asked for such personal data. I have sent them a very blurry copy from which no important information could be discerned and which should surely satisfy their procedures. If they now come back to me requiring a clear copy, I will most certainly be following your advice and politely refuse! I'm really quite astonished by this

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Oct 8, 2019

I think this just highlights how pointless these standards are. They show that you're good at red tape, but they say nothing about the quality of your translations.

Kay Denney
Vera Schoen
Philippe Etienne
Daniel Jeory

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Just recently Oct 9, 2019

farolingo wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this?

For the first time since I started translating.
After the negociation was over about business terms, I consented to send a scanned copy of my passport (with some hidden info and "confidential" stamp images) because the prospective European agency looked very promising.

And it is.

It's good to have principles, but it's also good to get new business. I evaluated the risk of being impersonated or having my ID associated to human or drug trafficking as close to zero, as well as malicious interceptions in the ether.

As a rule, I follow the universal common sense standard, which shall prevail over any other. If the prospect asking doesn't look 100% trustworthy, it is obviously sensible to decline.

Philippe

Daniel Jeory

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Mutual trust and requests Oct 9, 2019

I often heard many colleagues discussing 'funny' requirements, so when some free*lancers told their clients and prospects requested IDs, credentials, copies, security certificates and so on, I suggested demanding the same from the other party too.

Unfortunately, most of them took it as a flat joke, but those a few who did dare to 'answer back' reported their demanding clients or weird questions just disappeared. Why, often simply asking for clarifications or reasons made cu
... See more
I often heard many colleagues discussing 'funny' requirements, so when some free*lancers told their clients and prospects requested IDs, credentials, copies, security certificates and so on, I suggested demanding the same from the other party too.

Unfortunately, most of them took it as a flat joke, but those a few who did dare to 'answer back' reported their demanding clients or weird questions just disappeared. Why, often simply asking for clarifications or reasons made curious parties forget about their requirements.

As a colleague of mine noted, after her letter with such questions, she got a notarized articles of association and some company papers, and they treated her much better--as a very serious businesslady.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation agency requires copy of passport

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »