Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How do you deal with impoliteness and bad manners while working?
Thread poster: Oriol Vives (X)
Chris Spurgin
Chris Spurgin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:52
Member (2016)
Russian to English
+ ...
Be thankful it is remote rudeness Sep 11, 2019

Your job isn't to try to teach people to be polite or reasonable, nor are you going to succeed in changing people who are short on the manners side. Only work with such people if you absolutely have to. Just be grateful you don't have to share the same space as these people.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Jennifer Forbes

mona elshazly
mona elshazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 09:52
Member (2016)
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
A question Sep 11, 2019

Sorry to say that but I think the client suspected the quality when you delivered early; did you revise the translated text? Are you sure of the quality of your work? If so, I think the client has no reason to treat you badly. However, try to control your nerves till you get your dues paid and after that you can give them a negative feedback.

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:52
French to Chinese
+ ...
Not an excuse Sep 13, 2019

"incompetence" usually refers to mistakes in the translation you delivered.
I personally don't see why a PM would be mad about an early delivery, which was nothing but good news for the agency.

However, bad manners are a different subject in such situation.
I think I will just list out my points and keep it in a professional courtesy if I were you.
My mentor used to tell me that, I only earned half of my salary for what I did, and the other half for dealing wit
... See more
"incompetence" usually refers to mistakes in the translation you delivered.
I personally don't see why a PM would be mad about an early delivery, which was nothing but good news for the agency.

However, bad manners are a different subject in such situation.
I think I will just list out my points and keep it in a professional courtesy if I were you.
My mentor used to tell me that, I only earned half of my salary for what I did, and the other half for dealing with bad manners of my boss. And if I were a salesperson, make it 1/3 then add those of the clients' to the sum.
I am not telling you to tolerate such bad faith, but it feels a lot better when you meet someone polite and still earn the other half without doing anything.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Philip, @Oriol Sep 14, 2019

Philip Lees wrote:
I always try to get a deadline that leaves me a safety margin of a day or so.

My comment does not relate to jobs that take place over several days. The OP's job was a weekend rush job, so the time spent on it is measured in hours, not days. It was a rush job, which means that the deadline given to him by the client reflected close to the minimum number of hours that the client had expected him to take to be able to complete the job. He delivered FOUR hours sooner than that. This is like taking on a 2-week job and delivering it after just three days.

Oriol Vives wrote:
Thanks for sharing, but that is not my point. ... My point is: when faced with someone that's openly rude or not in his/her right mind, how do you deal with it?

Well, the first thing I do (and suggest that others do) is to assume (until proven otherwise) that the rudeness is only perceived. It has happened to me many times that I had thought that a response was rude, only to discover later (upon re-reading the thread) that the reply was in fact perfectly neutral, but that I had thought that it was rude at the time, due to various factors. It is a good practice in internet communication (and international business communication) to assume good faith by the other party for much longer than one would normally assume it during local, direct contact.

I like Sheila's answer "The nastier they get, the more business-like you should get", although one has to guard against being too openly or too obviously businesslike, lest the other party get the impression that you're trying to be mean. Extreme politeness can easily be mistaken for sarcasm.

I'm sorry for you that the client seems to believe that you should have done a weekend rush job for the same rate as your weekday non-rush service. Perhaps he just forgot -- some agencies truly do operate 7 days a week and do not expect their service providers to charge a surcharge on what they perceive as two randomly selected days of the week. Be that as it may, I suggest that you stick to your guns and insist on putting the higher fee on the invoice. It was, after all, a weekend rusy job.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 02:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Speculation Sep 14, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

[ measured in hours, not days. It was a rush job, which means that the deadline given to him by the client reflected close to the minimum number of hours that the client had expected him to take to be able to complete the job. He delivered FOUR hours sooner than that. This is like taking on a 2-week job and delivering it after just three days.

Sorry, Samuel, but a weekend has 48 hours plus, possibly, Friday night. That's a lot of time to have a 4-hour margin. Some consider anything over 2000/day a rush, others produce 3000-4000 on a regular basis. Or the same people may deliver both ways, depending on the subject. I have no problem doing a standard contract at a pace of 4000/day without any CATs but would think twice about the output in case of some other subjects.

Oleksandr Ivanov
Gethin Sugar

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you deal with impoliteness and bad manners while working?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »