Joseann Freyer-Lindner
Joseann Freyer-Lindner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:19
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 29, 2018

Hello, I am considering to embark on a new journey and accept a job that is a mix of translation and transcreation (translation song texts = accurate translation of content and adapting to make the singable). I understand that with creative texts there might be a higher need for revision, so is 3 rounds a standard? And against this number, would you consider a fee of 0,11 €/source word (ENG-DE) to be appropriate? Thank you for your ideas.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 05:19
English to German
In memoriam
Creative -> charge by the hour Nov 29, 2018

I think that with any creative work, charging by the word makes no sense. Creative processes need time. You might need an hour or two for hitting the perfect tone in one line of a song, so €0.11 per word won't get you anywhere.

Christopher Schröder
Ricki Farn
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Vera Schoen
Gareth Callagy

Rosalind Haigh
Rosalind Haigh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:19
German to English
+ ...
Not sure what you mean by "revision rounds" ... Nov 29, 2018

... your going through the text revising it, or the text going to and fro between you and the reviser/agency/customer?
If it's the latter, then even 3 rounds strikes me as too many; if it's the former, then you just keep on going until you feel it's perfect!

Joseann Freyer-Lindner
Joseann Freyer-Lindner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:19
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Revision round Nov 29, 2018

Hi Rosalind,
we are talking about back and forth with editor and/or client, sorry for not being precise.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sounds interesting but difficult Nov 29, 2018

Joseann F-L wrote:
Hello, I am considering to embark on a new journey and accept a job that is a mix of translation and transcreation (translation song texts = accurate translation of content and adapting to make the singable). I understand that with creative texts there might be a higher need for revision, so is 3 rounds a standard? And against this number, would you consider a fee of 0,11 €/source word (ENG-DE) to be appropriate? Thank you for your ideas.

I don't want to put a dampener on it, but I'm wondering if you're a musician, Joseann. My husband is a songwriter and has composed in English, French and a tiny bit in Dutch. A Dutch person who is a French and English teacher once spent a long time translating a very popular one from French into Dutch. She thought long and hard about all the scanning (if that's the right word for matching beats with syllables etc - not my field at all), the rhyming and the timing. A Dutch professional singer tried to sing it and had to give up. It was quite impossible! The most successful "translations" of songs are those that totally adapt the lyrics to work in the other language. The ones that spring to mind as hits in both English and French are Comme d'Habitude / My Way and House of the Rising Sun / La Pénitencier.

What I'm saying is that it might not be a good idea to guarantee anything about it being singable, unless you really have an ear for music composition .

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Joseann Nov 29, 2018

I’ve been transcreating texts every month for a vacation rental platform for two years now. I’m paid per project much more than what you’re offered including two rounds of amends and I don’t think my language pair (EN-PT) is paid higher than yours…

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Revision Rounds for Transcration/Translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »