Thread poster: Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:41
French to English
Oct 3, 2018

Hello all,
I do quite a bit of work for universities in France. One of them has just informed me that all invoices will now have to be submitted through the new Chorus website for public entities. It's a complete nightmare to navigate, 2 hours later I'm no nearer finding out how it works except it appears I need a Siret number which of course I don't have as I live in the UK. Has anyone else come across it, and if so have you got any tips?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:41
French to English
Hot mess Oct 3, 2018

It is an absolute nightmare. It takes ages to understand how it works. Once you're up and running, payments do go through smoothly and when you actually get your hands on a real human to explain what they need, you finally get paid within days.

The problem with Chorus is that it is supposed to be a one-stop-shop for all public payment thingies. So there is sooooo much to wade through. I almost gave up on a couple of hundred euros as it was such a mess to get the right thing in the
... See more
It is an absolute nightmare. It takes ages to understand how it works. Once you're up and running, payments do go through smoothly and when you actually get your hands on a real human to explain what they need, you finally get paid within days.

The problem with Chorus is that it is supposed to be a one-stop-shop for all public payment thingies. So there is sooooo much to wade through. I almost gave up on a couple of hundred euros as it was such a mess to get the right thing in the right place. They still made a mistake with the amount, but I am not going to bother to have it all corrected for a couple of euros as that is all it is. Some of the events I experienced:
- I had my first invoice refused as I had not submitted it to the correct entity, although entity A did say it was for them, it turned out to be for entity B.
- I was told by entity B to duplicate the initial submission, just switching from entity A to B. Entity B refused it as it had been duplicated.
- Entity B then said that I needed to ask for a third party account to be created. So I asked for it. Did I need to resubmit anything? No, they were now able to recover all the info needed from the rejected submissions. (Question to self: if they could do that in the first place, why did I need to resubmit at all?)
- What steps did I need to do for the third party a/c to be created? Nothing. Fine; so why had they not done that at the start? No idea.

The whole process remains a near-mystery to me. Somewhere whatever was necessary was finally done, but I'm talking about it having taken 5 months between the creation of my account on Chorus to finally being paid. Also, whatever you do, make sure that whatever you submit does not remain as a "brouillon". Once you're sure you've got everything ready, click the validate and send button! And check back regularly, as sometimes things happen and you will not be informed by mail. A message can be linked to a request and you have to go fishing for it. Also, the status may be a couple of days behind. You might see "mise en paiement" a couple of days after having received payment.

I think your best bet is to send an email to ask what boxes you have to tick etc., particularly as your activity is not registered in France.
Good luck.

It might be helpful to post this in the FRENCH section as this relates only to France.

[Edited at 2018-10-03 16:01 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chorus website

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »