Thread poster: Ulrike G.
Ulrike G.
Ulrike G.  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
Member (2006)
English to German
Aug 23, 2018

Hi all,

I wanted to contact an agency via proz.com. Before I was able to send my message, I had to tick a box labelled "I consent to sharing my email and IP address with the recipient of this message."

Above that, there was a 'privacy notice' (misnomer of the year, imo)
"Privacy notice: If you send this message, your email address and IP address will be disclosed to the recipient so that they can identify you and reply to you directly."

Now in this ca
... See more
Hi all,

I wanted to contact an agency via proz.com. Before I was able to send my message, I had to tick a box labelled "I consent to sharing my email and IP address with the recipient of this message."

"Privacy notice: If you send this message, your email address and IP address will be disclosed to the recipient so that they can identify you and reply to you directly."

Now in this case I specifically DID NOT want to let the agency contact me directly. And, no, I do not want my IP address to be disclosed. I am having serious privacy issues here.

Can anybody explain to me WHY I have to disclose that?

I know all the technicalities on what you can find out via an IP address and how you can fake one. That is not the question. I would like to know why proz.com makes this disclosure a stipulation for sending the email. It used to be that this information was only shared at a later stage.

Thank you for any insights, Ulrike
Collapse

Tom in London

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 21:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
Disclose IP/email address Aug 23, 2018

The way I understand this, the agency (or proz.com) was warning you that when you emailed the agency via proz.com, your IP address and email address would automatically be disclosed to the agency (you don't have to do anything yourself), so that from then on they could email you directly to your own email address. It's cumbersome to keep communicating via proz.com and that way there is no possibility to get more information about the other party, no signature with the name of the agency, address... See more
The way I understand this, the agency (or proz.com) was warning you that when you emailed the agency via proz.com, your IP address and email address would automatically be disclosed to the agency (you don't have to do anything yourself), so that from then on they could email you directly to your own email address. It's cumbersome to keep communicating via proz.com and that way there is no possibility to get more information about the other party, no signature with the name of the agency, address, website, etc. You don't explain this in your post but why did you want to contact this agency but not go a step further and make direct contact?Collapse

Ulrike G.
Ulrike G.  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Strangely enough, I have no choice Aug 23, 2018

if I do not tick the box, I cannot send the message.

The point being is that I did not want the agency to see my IP address at this stage. If we agree that it is worthwhile getting to know each other, I come out of hiding.

Amazon does it if I contact a seller, proz.com used to do it - I would just like to know why this has changed.

IMO the system was sensible.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
GDPR Aug 23, 2018

Ulrike G. wrote:

Hi all,

Now in this case I specifically DID NOT want to let the agency contact me directly. And, no, I do not want my IP address to be disclosed. I am having serious privacy issues here.

Can anybody explain to me WHY I have to disclose that?

I know all the technicalities on what you can find out via an IP address and how you can fake one. That is not the question. I would like to know why proz.com makes this disclosure a stipulation for sending the email. It used to be that this information was only shared at a later stage.

Thank you for any insights, Ulrike

Probably because of the new GDPR. At any rate, AFAIK, if you sent a message through proz (other than with the instant messaging thingie), your email address and IP address were already disclosed in the past...

However, I do agree that contacting someone (at their email address registered with proz) without necessarily disclosing your own email address (don't really care about the IP address) would be a nice feature, and I had already requested this in the past. Not sure why this was never implemented, as it appears to me everything's already in place to do it.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I think you're confusing two types of message Aug 23, 2018

Ulrike G. wrote:
proz.com used to do it - I would just like to know why this has changed.

It's never been entirely clear to me so forgive me if I'm talking rubbish here . I think you're referring here to the "ProZ.com Message". That's done entirely within the site. Each party receives a "do not reply" email from ProZ.com with a link to access the message, so no details get shared. Then there's the "Email" button. That just sends an ordinary email but with a link to your profile here. Like any email, your addresses can be discovered in the source or header (or whatever it's called).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes and no Aug 23, 2018

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Then there's the "Email" button. That just sends an ordinary email but with a link to your profile here. Like any email, your addresses can be discovered in the source or header (or whatever it's called).

While it is true that the Email button simply sends an ordinary e-mail, that email's headers do not contain the sender's (i.e. the ProZ.com member's) e-mail address and IP address. The headers contain only ProZ.com's (and subsequent) IP addresses. There is no technical reason why the user's IP address should be included in the e-mail -- in fact, it is included in the *body* of the mail only.

There must be some other reason, then, why ProZ.com insists that the sender's IP address and e-mail address be included in the mail. I suspect it has to do with helping the recipient identify spam.

Either way, ProZ.com has no mechanism that allows users to send e-mails to other people, unless those users allow themselves to be identified.

If Ulrike wants to send an e-mail without revealing her own contact details, she could use a throw-away e-mail service such as temp-mail.org, guerrillamail.com or getnada.com. The alternative is to send a private message instead of an e-mail. To do that, use the link https://www.proz.com/?sp=online_status&float=y&type=proz&id= (and add the agency's ProZ.com number to the URL).

[Edited at 2018-08-23 18:47 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Little more than a tweet... Aug 23, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

If Ulrike wants to send an e-mail without revealing her own contact details, she could use a throw-away e-mail service such as temp-mail.org, guerrillamail.com or getnada.com. The alternative is to send a private message instead of an e-mail. To do that, use the link https://www.proz.com/?sp=online_status&float=y&type=proz&id= (and add the agency's ProZ.com number to the URL).

Problem is that, with a maximum length of 500 characters, that's little more than a tweet...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do I have to agree to disclose my IP address via proz.com

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »