Looking for options to supplement income
Thread poster: Trevor Lipchak
Trevor Lipchak
Trevor Lipchak
United States
Local time: 02:54
Spanish to English
Aug 8, 2018

A warm greeting to the Proz Community here!

I will make my case short.

I am looking to further the amount of translation I do. I have always used translation to supplement income by securing projects when I had the time available but I would like to increase the amount of time I put to translation now.

I have had some luck here in the past but what I am really looking for is community experience to see if there are alternatives for finding "fast work" --
... See more
A warm greeting to the Proz Community here!

I will make my case short.

I am looking to further the amount of translation I do. I have always used translation to supplement income by securing projects when I had the time available but I would like to increase the amount of time I put to translation now.

I have had some luck here in the past but what I am really looking for is community experience to see if there are alternatives for finding "fast work" -- less projects and more "translating by the hour" for any organization or business.

I have no experience for a "by the hour" or "quick project" translation environment that would best suit my needs and am open to any ideas. The reason why I am looking for something like this is because I am full-time employed but a medical occurrence in my family prompts me to work as hard as I can to support my family.

Thank you for your time,

Trevor

[Edited at 2018-08-08 10:51 GMT]
Collapse

Ramey Rieger (X)
Ramey Rieger (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:54
German to English
Blue Board/Agencies Aug 9, 2018

Hi Trevor,

First and foremost, are you qualified? Do you have references? Schooling? Talent? Try the agencies. They usually request a sample translation and will judge your abilities accordingly. Maybe translation is for you, maybe it's not. I understand your need to supplement your income as public health care in the States is grotesque, but 'fast' work is very poorly paid unless you already have a good reputation, are reliable and professional.
I wish you good luck!
R
... See more
Hi Trevor,

First and foremost, are you qualified? Do you have references? Schooling? Talent? Try the agencies. They usually request a sample translation and will judge your abilities accordingly. Maybe translation is for you, maybe it's not. I understand your need to supplement your income as public health care in the States is grotesque, but 'fast' work is very poorly paid unless you already have a good reputation, are reliable and professional.
I wish you good luck!
Ramey
Collapse

Trevor Lipchak
Trevor Lipchak
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your time. Aug 9, 2018

I am looking for feedback from other members who might have experience translating for this type of environment.
This is what will meet my needs.

Thank you

[Edited at 2018-08-09 12:28 GMT]

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
German to English
What is it you're looking for? Aug 9, 2018

Can you explain what you're looking for? I'm not clear what you mean by "fast work" (you're working full-time so you're not availabe to take on jobs at the drop of a hat) or "translating by the hour" (translating is normally paid by the word, not the hour) - if you can clarify what you have in mind I'm sure people will be more responsive.

Ricardo Suin

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Profile Aug 9, 2018

Trevor,

You should work on your profile and make sure it's 100% complete.

It's perfectly possible to hold down a full-time job and also do translating work on the side.

I've done it. You need a laptop and internet access where you work. During downtime/lunch breaks in your regular job you can be translating. Then you can also translate when you're not at work - but you must be prepared to work long hours late into the night whilst still holding down your
... See more
Trevor,

You should work on your profile and make sure it's 100% complete.

It's perfectly possible to hold down a full-time job and also do translating work on the side.

I've done it. You need a laptop and internet access where you work. During downtime/lunch breaks in your regular job you can be translating. Then you can also translate when you're not at work - but you must be prepared to work long hours late into the night whilst still holding down your job.

So long as you have clients (translating agencies) who give you plenty of time (long deadlines) this is possible.

When I did this I was commuting 1 hour each way by train to/from my job. I got a lot of work done on the train. I also shared a small office with one other guy who was busy with his own stuff. So I was able to "steal time" from my employer, to do some translation.

I was able to do this without compromising my job and in fact it made me more efficient. But I wouldn't recommend it as an ideal way to live. It was stressful.

[Edited at 2018-08-09 22:14 GMT]
Collapse

Trevor Lipchak
Trevor Lipchak
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 10, 2018

Thank you for your input.

I wish to close this discussion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for options to supplement income

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »