ahartje
Portugal
Local time: 00:22
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 days May 31, 2018

By now I am waiting for a reply to my question.

In fact I moved to memoQ several years ago, moved by a problem with Trados, in June, as always in the middle of an ongoing project, so I needed instant help. I looked on Trados´s website, asked via e-mail and called the customer service. The answer: We are sorry, but our service technician is on holidays. She will contact you in about 14 days.

The same day I decided to search for another CAT. I found memoQ and I really lo
... See more
By now I am waiting for a reply to my question.

In fact I moved to memoQ several years ago, moved by a problem with Trados, in June, as always in the middle of an ongoing project, so I needed instant help. I looked on Trados´s website, asked via e-mail and called the customer service. The answer: We are sorry, but our service technician is on holidays. She will contact you in about 14 days.

The same day I decided to search for another CAT. I found memoQ and I really loved it, but something changes for the worse: the service is bad, the last 2 webinars did not teach anything, were just marketing sessions... what is going on at Kilgray?

Resuming: I do not understand memoQ´s shift to trados-like measures...
Collapse

Neil Ashby

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
2 days wasted, I'm afraid Jun 1, 2018

ahartje wrote:
2 days by now I am waiting for a reply to my question.

Anke, you sent a sales query to the technical support helpdesk.

Yes, your query was related to "technical support", but since it was not a request for technical support, the technical support helpdesk helpfully told you to contact the sales helpdesk. You're going to wait until you weigh an ounce (how do they say that in Portugal?) if you don't send your query to the appropriate helpdesk as suggested.

It must happen frequently that clients/customers contact the technical support helpdesk if they want assistance in or have a query on buying technical support, but the technical support helpdesk isn't equipped to offer assistance on sales matters (or may, as a reasonable company policy, only assist with actual technical support), so it is normal for technical support helpdesks to tell people who contact them for sales support to contact the sales helpdesk.

I see nothing wrong or unusual with the reply from MemoQ's technical support helpdesk in response to your question about buying technical support, so... don't be so upset. Contact the sales helpdesk, as suggested.

[Edited at 2018-06-01 06:58 GMT]

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Subscription models Jun 1, 2018

Philippe Etienne wrote:

The trend today is all about "service": subscription-based instead of upfront investment. It may make sense in some industries (automotive, large IT systems "aaS"...), but perhaps not so much with smaller acquisitions (Office 365, MemoQ, smartphones...).
Some will find such models useful, others won't.

Philippe

In defense of Kilgray's policy:
To be honest, I actually like subscription models, because it takes the pressure off companies to pretend to reinvent the wheel ever year or two (or introduce incompatibilities, etc.), so that people repurchase their projects. To me, anything that is not likely to naturally produce any earth-shattering innovations in the immediate future ought to be sold by subscription, so that they don't keep having to pretend to make earth-shattering innovations and roll out new versions, with their inevitable bugs, their learning curve adapting to new interfaces, etc.

The different CAT products still stand in competition with one another, so they will still have a motive for genuine innovations, maintenance, and service. In fact, yearly subscriptions make it somewhat easier to switch between products (although actually switching would mean investing a large amount of time and effort).

On the other hand:
I do think it is very stupid they didn't inform you that your license (here "service" license) was about to expire, so that you could make an informed decision in a timely manner at the appropriate point in time. Instead, they've created a system that puts many of their customers in your current situation, where you have to pay for several years to get one year's service. If they are going to go with a subscription model, then they should go with it and not beat around the bush.

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You got a point Samuel Jun 1, 2018

...and I fixed this issue by sending a new request to the sales support.

And Michael:

Actually I think, Kilgray sent a reminder, but I am not sure. In fact, I´m proud of being well organized in my private and professional life. I do not miss expire dates, deadlines, birthdays, the last date of the next vaccination (of 2- and 4-legged family members) or whatsoever. Something happend and made me miss the renewal date.

Well, it happened obviously and Kilgray�
... See more
...and I fixed this issue by sending a new request to the sales support.

And Michael:

Actually I think, Kilgray sent a reminder, but I am not sure. In fact, I´m proud of being well organized in my private and professional life. I do not miss expire dates, deadlines, birthdays, the last date of the next vaccination (of 2- and 4-legged family members) or whatsoever. Something happend and made me miss the renewal date.

Well, it happened obviously and Kilgray´s attitude will change my mode of operation.
Collapse

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just got the reply from Kilgray´s sales team Jun 1, 2018

Here it is:

"Dear memoQ user,

Thank you for contacting the Kilgray support.

We would like to inform you that according to our records the Support and Maintenance Agreement for your memoQ serial numbers listed below will expire soon / have expired. Please contact your account manager or visit our webshop to renew it. If you were unsure about the direct contact
... See more
Here it is:

"Dear memoQ user,

Thank you for contacting the Kilgray support.

We would like to inform you that according to our records the Support and Maintenance Agreement for your memoQ serial numbers listed below will expire soon / have expired. Please contact your account manager or visit our webshop to renew it. If you were unsure about the direct contact, please send your email to [email protected]."

Any differences??

Obviously at Kilgray nobody reads and answers your questions or even cares about solving problems.
Collapse

Neil Ashby

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
MemoQ 2014 Jun 6, 2018

I've been using this version of MemoQ since... 2014! and I surely don't need anything else. I paid once and I refuse to pay for something that I seldom use. I found memoQ pricing system utterly unfair, twisted and even on the edge of legality. This, to me, is tantamount to those wicked financial packages that very few understood at the time and which led to the crisis we've been in for some years now.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:22
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Not illegal Jun 6, 2018

It is certainly not illegal, but their web shop could word things differently: instead of allowing you to pay for one year and warn you that you need to pay for at least two or three, as the case may be, in order to be 'current', it should tell you "the upgrade price for you is x", where x is the yearly price multiplied by the number of years since the last time you paid. This way, their 'upgrade policy' wouldn't seem so odd and different from everyone else's—because it is not, really.
<
... See more
It is certainly not illegal, but their web shop could word things differently: instead of allowing you to pay for one year and warn you that you need to pay for at least two or three, as the case may be, in order to be 'current', it should tell you "the upgrade price for you is x", where x is the yearly price multiplied by the number of years since the last time you paid. This way, their 'upgrade policy' wouldn't seem so odd and different from everyone else's—because it is not, really.

A much better approach, in any case, would be to make memoQ subscription-based, with the option to pay on a monthly or yearly basis. Just follow Office 365's paradigm and no one will complain—at least they will blame Microsoft, not Kilgray!

[Edited at 2018-06-06 17:15 GMT]
Collapse

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not illegal, but... Jun 6, 2018

... even Kilgray seems to be unable to explain its methods.

Or why comes no explanation from Hungary or even the standard note asking for closing the ticket?

Only persons/companies without reasonable strategies do ignore uncomfortable questions.

Neil Ashby

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:22
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
They ignore a lot of things lately Jun 6, 2018

It's the 'new Kilgray'. That's how they operate: ignore their users and have their own agenda.

Instead of improving memoQ, they will release "hey memoq", which will only work with an iPhone or iPad. memoQ being a .NET application that only runs on Windows, I find this extremely irrational and a blatant waste of developer resources, which could have been allocated to fixing the numerous shortcomings of memoQ 8 and making it a modern, reliable tool for business.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hopefully misunderstanding memoQ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »