Thread poster: Daniel Arnold (X)
Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 09:36
English to Hungarian
Statement from memoQ Jun 25, 2018

Dear All,

Thank you for all the valuable input. In the last few weeks, we've been analysing the match rates reported here, along with others.

Nothing has changed regarding the match rate calculation for years: memoQ's TM engine has always produced these match rates for the examples listed in this thread. We acknowledge that the match rates for the given segments are counter-intuitive. Still, the match rates are by design, according to the original formula untouched (at
... See more
Dear All,

Thank you for all the valuable input. In the last few weeks, we've been analysing the match rates reported here, along with others.

Nothing has changed regarding the match rate calculation for years: memoQ's TM engine has always produced these match rates for the examples listed in this thread. We acknowledge that the match rates for the given segments are counter-intuitive. Still, the match rates are by design, according to the original formula untouched (at least from thenpoint of view of these examples) since version 1.0.

There is no plan to introduce changes in the software right now. We are fully aware this is a sensitive topic and some of the responses are quite negative. But the overall impact on the general user base cannot be fully judged by these reactions. Also, changing the match rate calculation abruptly would be extremely problematic, as it is the basis of payment and workload calculations for all users. We could theoretically introduce exceptions in the calculation for problem cases like these, but that increase in complexity would increase thee chance of bugs, making testing and maintenance more difficult.

Any change would also be painful for our customers. In client-vendor relationships, or even just in any team working together, it is very undesired to have slighly different versions of the software provide differrent match rates and thus different weighted word counts and eventually different sums for payment. As the next step, we will soon provide public documentation about how the match rates are calculated, with examples.

Our impression is that the most affected match rate range is in the 50% to 75% band. Many translation companies pay this range full (no "discount"). Unfortunately, some do not, and we are also aware of this. There's also always the chance to adjust the "discounts".

Best regards,
Gergely Vándor

Product manager
memoQ
Collapse

preynolds

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:36
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Flawed since v1 Jun 25, 2018

So, memoq has been flawed since v1 and you don't care enough to fix it.

This is what I read.

Selcuk Akyuz

preynolds
preynolds
from memoQ Jun 26, 2018

Hi All,
I just want to add to what Gergely has posted. We are treating this seriously and are looking at it to try and find exactly what is happening and why. It is simply not true that that we do not care enough to fix it.
I would like to remind you that the quickest way to get issues resolved is to report them to our support team, [email protected]. It does not matter whether you have current support and maintenance agreement
... See more
Hi All,
I just want to add to what Gergely has posted. We are treating this seriously and are looking at it to try and find exactly what is happening and why. It is simply not true that that we do not care enough to fix it.
I would like to remind you that the quickest way to get issues resolved is to report them to our support team, [email protected]. It does not matter whether you have current support and maintenance agreement when reporting bugs. This particular issue has not being reported to us through this. While we will try and monitor all channels including Proz we cannot guarantee that.

Thank you,

Peter Reynolds,
memoQ
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:36
Danish to English
+ ...
Reporting bugs Jun 26, 2018

preynolds wrote:

It does not matter whether you have current support and maintenance agreement when reporting bugs.

Hi Peter, maybe you should make that clear in the standard message sent to users opening tickets without a current support agreement, which says:

"Dear memoQ user,

Thank you for contacting the Kilgray support.

We would like to inform you that according to our records the Support and Maintenance Agreement for your memoQ serial numbers listed below have expired. Please contact your account manager or visit our webshop to renew it. If you were unsure about the direct contact, please send your email to [email protected]."

The only reason I cancelled my agreement was that Kilgray ruined the Shift+F3 toggle function in version 8 and initially stubbornly refused to listen to complaints about it, by the way, but I understand the function may finally be restored – more than a year after it was destroyed – in version 8.5.

Daniel Arnold (X)
Daniel Arnold (X)
Australia
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re Jun 26, 2018

Thank you Peter, and also Gergely for acknowledging that there is a technical bug somewhere in there.

My main concern is that these various instances where I have actually noticed the wrong match rate are probably (or not) only the ones where I was "lucky" enough to spot the error (because it was so utterly obvious) and I was probably only able to do that because the discrepancy was so large.

But what about all the other fuzzy bandwidths? At the moment I have nothing t
... See more
Thank you Peter, and also Gergely for acknowledging that there is a technical bug somewhere in there.

My main concern is that these various instances where I have actually noticed the wrong match rate are probably (or not) only the ones where I was "lucky" enough to spot the error (because it was so utterly obvious) and I was probably only able to do that because the discrepancy was so large.

But what about all the other fuzzy bandwidths? At the moment I have nothing to go by that would reassure me they are "more" accurate. It could easily be the case that 74% matches are calculated as 78% - and the effect would - if that were the case - be quite hard on the users of your software. It could well be that all bandwidths are affected, which will regrettably affect my bottom line.

There is absolutely no negativity here from my end, I love memoQ, but now that this issue has come up I am of course looking for reassurance that I am paid on the basis of an accurate analysis, I can't see how these analyses could otherwise be used for justifying discounts for anything else than match rates of 95% or higher.

Unfortunately the issue is also severely lacking in transparency - understandably so from your business perspective, but the legitimate interests of the users, especially when your algorithms have a direct impact on their paychecks at the end of the month, really ought to be given proper consideration.

Thanks, Daniel

[Edited at 2018-06-26 13:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-06-26 13:10 GMT]
Collapse

preynolds
preynolds
Re: memoQ issues Jun 27, 2018

Hi Thomas, Thank you. This is a good point about contact support regarding bugs. I will raise this.

I am sorry if we gave the impression that we were not interested in your feedback. I think there is a problem with almost all software being developed in an ivory tower. We recognize that this does not help anyone and we are working on changing it.

Daniel, We are checking this but our initial check is that this issue happens in the 50% to 75% band under specific circumst
... See more
Hi Thomas, Thank you. This is a good point about contact support regarding bugs. I will raise this.

I am sorry if we gave the impression that we were not interested in your feedback. I think there is a problem with almost all software being developed in an ivory tower. We recognize that this does not help anyone and we are working on changing it.

Daniel, We are checking this but our initial check is that this issue happens in the 50% to 75% band under specific circumstances. We have not found this outside this band. Our QA team is looking at this presently.

I also take the point about transparency. We all want to present the product or services we are offering in the best possible light. Almost all commercial software has bugs and memoQ is no exception. We do have an issue where it sometimes takes us to see an issue on a particular forum and that may have happened here. We would like to be more responsive and transparent. Hopefully, you will see improvements.

Many Thanks,

Peter.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ delivering totally wrong analysis

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »