Thread poster: Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:55
Member (2016)
English to Russian
Jan 19, 2017

Agency ordered translation of large document (~30K) in open access at some organisation web-site.
Before deadline when it was translated but not finished (at cleaning, proofing, etc) client cancelled the job.
Agency asked stop it immediately and return in current unfinished state.
Job will be paid in full (hope).

Do i have any right to finish this translation and use it in any way?

Yakov Katsman

Aleksandra Romanova
Aleksandra Romanova
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
Not really Jan 19, 2017

Have you signed any NDA with them? If so, it probably elaborates, what you can do with the texts they send you and what you can't, regardless of the state of completion. Anyway, what did you mean by "use it"? Store in TM? Then you definitely should look into NDA/ask the agency about it.
You can finish it for your own pleasure, if you have time to spare on that, of course.
What you can do, and should, is insist on being paid. It is not your fault that the job was cancelled, and you ar
... See more
Have you signed any NDA with them? If so, it probably elaborates, what you can do with the texts they send you and what you can't, regardless of the state of completion. Anyway, what did you mean by "use it"? Store in TM? Then you definitely should look into NDA/ask the agency about it.
You can finish it for your own pleasure, if you have time to spare on that, of course.
What you can do, and should, is insist on being paid. It is not your fault that the job was cancelled, and you are not working with the end client anyway. You are working with the agency, they have placed an order to you, and you did the job. This is between only you two, so you are entitled to payment for the amount you have done before it was cancelled, regardless of what their client wants.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why did you want to finish it? Jan 19, 2017

Yakov Katsman wrote:

Agency ordered translation of large document (~30K) in open access at some organisation web-site.
Before deadline when it was translated but not finished (at cleaning, proofing, etc) client cancelled the job.

Yakov Katsman

I think you do have the right to finish it as you like but why did you want to finish it?

Also, how will you use it?

This is the first time I heard a translator can "use" his or her own translation. To me, you translate a file and you client is the one to use it.

[Edited at 2017-01-19 21:06 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Cancelled jobs Jan 19, 2017

You should ask the agency about their cancellation policy before you start the job. But good luck getting an agency to follow through.

[Edited at 2017-01-19 21:50 GMT]

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:55
German to English
+ ...
Not if they pay Jan 20, 2017

Yakov Katsman wrote:

Yakov Katsman

If the client pays then no. At that point the client owns the translation for which they paid. But the TM is yours, unless you have some other agreement about TMs with the client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cancelled translation job - rights

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »