Thread poster: Maria Teresa Pozzi
Maria Teresa Pozzi
Maria Teresa Pozzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:54
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 8, 2016

I was wondering if someone of you signed up or has the intention to sign up for the paying version of CrossMarket. The early bird for the subscritpion expired and now it costs 19,50 Euros/month.
I would be happy to share thoughts with you.

Tea

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
CrossMarket? Nov 8, 2016

Meanwhile, you can share your knowledge on what CrossMarket is

Maria Teresa Pozzi
Maria Teresa Pozzi  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a new feature of Across Nov 8, 2016

crossMarket is the new online network that enables suppliers and customers to find each other easily.
crossMarket puts an end to anonymity and enables Across users to introduce themselves in the professional world.
http://www.crossmarket.net/en/

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:54
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
But it's all tied into Across? Nov 8, 2016

Are they going to have access to your TMs? I would imagine that's going to be extremely useful for their development. And yet they want you to pay for the privilege? What if you or your clients don't want to use Across? Are you forced to?

I don't really know much about this CAT, nor do I know exactly what it is they're offering here, but it looks to me as though there will be more advantages for everyone else than for the freelancer. I prefer to find my clients in an impartial setti
... See more
Are they going to have access to your TMs? I would imagine that's going to be extremely useful for their development. And yet they want you to pay for the privilege? What if you or your clients don't want to use Across? Are you forced to?

I don't really know much about this CAT, nor do I know exactly what it is they're offering here, but it looks to me as though there will be more advantages for everyone else than for the freelancer. I prefer to find my clients in an impartial setting, not where I'm tied into one product.
Collapse

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Across translators database existed before Nov 8, 2016

Dear Maria Teresa,

a database of translators using Across existed before Across decided to introduce a paying version of Across/crossMarket. In the "old" database, only the translators were visible whereas now in the new network you can also find and contact customers and agencies working with Across (last time I did a search, only a few direct customers were present, though).

I bought the subscription (and updated to V6.3) in January since a few of my customers are usi
... See more
Dear Maria Teresa,

a database of translators using Across existed before Across decided to introduce a paying version of Across/crossMarket. In the "old" database, only the translators were visible whereas now in the new network you can also find and contact customers and agencies working with Across (last time I did a search, only a few direct customers were present, though).

I bought the subscription (and updated to V6.3) in January since a few of my customers are using Across and I wanted to be able to work for them simultaneously (it happens rarely but I wanted to be prepared). Since then, I was contacted by two agencies who found my profile on crossMarket. In my book, crossMarket is just another possibility to market my services (like the database of my translators' association or proz) and the main reason for buying the subscription were my existing customers.

@Sheila: Across as a tool is rather strict when it comes to data protection, i.e. if a customer is sending you a project, he can define very strict settings (making it sometimes impossible to export the target text, for example) - so AFAIK Across as a company cannot access your TMs just because you subscribe to crossMarket. And in my opinion, customers who do not wish to use Across as their CAT tool, will not subscribe to crossMarket but look elsewhere for potential language service providers.

Kind regards,
Martina
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Cannot access, or might be able to? Nov 8, 2016

Martina-K wrote:
@Sheila: Across as a tool is rather strict when it comes to data protection, i.e. if a customer is sending you a project, he can define very strict settings (making it sometimes impossible to export the target text, for example) - so AFAIK Across as a company cannot access your TMs just because you subscribe to crossMarket. And in my opinion, customers who do not wish to use Across as their CAT tool, will not subscribe to crossMarket but look elsewhere for potential language service providers.

I'm sure there are ways to restrict access and provide privacy options. But will all clients/outsourcers know about or use them fully? Or, even, could there be some sort of incentive for them not to totally restrict access when using the developer's own site, either now or in the future? Maybe there is every good intention in the world at the moment, but who knows where things will lead? This is also my problem with TM-Town. Too many healthy babies grow into grabbing, self-centred adults, and the same can happen with startups etc.

I'm sorry, but I'm becoming very cynical in my old age. I stopped contributing my translations to TSF/TWB as it was being headed up by a major CAT tool developer. I didn't think about it for a while, then they wanted post-editing done and the penny dropped (rightly or wrongly - I may be maligning them). I still evaluate translation samples for them, as I'd rather no humanitarian organisation ran foul of incompetent human translators, but that's all. And I wouldn't touch the portal in question here for the same reasons.

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Might be able to - who knows? Nov 8, 2016

I am not completely sure whether I understand your concerns correctly: Across is a standalone tool, no actual translation work is to be done on crossMarket. When working on projects prepared by the customer, TM content is uploaded only to her/his server (if s/he decides that s/he wants that and has learned how to use the software). But then, who knows what any software developer secretly implements in order to spy on your computer (I am being cynical here, too... See more
I am not completely sure whether I understand your concerns correctly: Across is a standalone tool, no actual translation work is to be done on crossMarket. When working on projects prepared by the customer, TM content is uploaded only to her/his server (if s/he decides that s/he wants that and has learned how to use the software). But then, who knows what any software developer secretly implements in order to spy on your computer (I am being cynical here, too)?Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not as bad as I thought then Nov 9, 2016

Martina-K wrote:
no actual translation work is to be done on crossMarket.

I wasn't sure about that - couldn't make out what the roles were.

When working on projects prepared by the customer, TM content is uploaded only to her/his server (if s/he decides that s/he wants that and has learned how to use the software). But then, who knows what any software developer secretly implements in order to spy on your computer (I am being cynical here, too)?

Well, my TMs don't get uploaded anywhere, they sit in my own computer. I'm cautious about letting anyone with vested interests getting their hands on my property.

But, in that case, what IS CrossMarket doing in return for all this money it's wanting to take from translators?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CrossMarket

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »