Phyllis Elago
Phyllis Elago  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:40
French to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2016

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has attended the elia conference and if you thought it was useful and worth the money? Here is the link to the 2017 edition of the event: http://2017.elia-together.org/about/

Thanks.

Phyllis

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Yes and yes Nov 4, 2016

I went last year. Although it wasn't perfect it was definitely interesting and worth the money, and I'll be going to the next one. You and I do the same languages -- if you do decide to go, send me a private message and we can arrange to meet!

(To clarify the "it wasn't perfect" bit, basically they had a panel discussion about what good translators look for in an agency, and it was a hot topic with lots of passionate
... See more
I went last year. Although it wasn't perfect it was definitely interesting and worth the money, and I'll be going to the next one. You and I do the same languages -- if you do decide to go, send me a private message and we can arrange to meet!

(To clarify the "it wasn't perfect" bit, basically they had a panel discussion about what good translators look for in an agency, and it was a hot topic with lots of passionate contributions, but they didn't allocate enough time to it and it sort of felt like they didn't want to get into a real discussion about it. I think a lot of translators were disappointed with that. Also, a lot of the technical tips seminars were less about professional development and more about trying to sell you something. But overall I still felt the conference was worth the money, and it was a conference where networking was certainly given a lot more emphasis so you're sure to meet lots of people.)
Collapse

Phyllis Elago
Phyllis Elago  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On the fence Nov 4, 2016

Thanks for the reply. I am still on the fence about going, but if I do take the plunge, it would definitely be great to meet, thanks I am based in Frankfurt, so travel-wise, it wouldn't be that expensive for me to attend.

Re: the event not being perfect, when I see the presentation topics I do wonder about all those things you brought up, i.e. that since elia is an organisation of LSPs that it might not be all that be
... See more
Thanks for the reply. I am still on the fence about going, but if I do take the plunge, it would definitely be great to meet, thanks I am based in Frankfurt, so travel-wise, it wouldn't be that expensive for me to attend.

Re: the event not being perfect, when I see the presentation topics I do wonder about all those things you brought up, i.e. that since elia is an organisation of LSPs that it might not be all that beneficial to freelancers and that people will just be trying to sell you their stuff.

Since I am not a company, I would be more interested in meeting other translators to potentially partner with and perhaps agencies that pay more on the high side. Otherwise, I wonder if agencies care all that much to meet people in person and if I should be paying for that. It might be different if the agency is small, but if it's larger, then regardless of who I meet on the day, won't they just steer me to their online application form anyway?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

elia conference 2017

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »