Olga El-Hagoug  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:09
Member (2015)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2016

Hello guys,

I have a small question. How do you bind thick translations with the originals?
I normally bind my sworn translations with eyelets, but this time the client ordered a sworn translation of a thick 42 page document. So, in total it is over 80 pages to bind together. Eyelets won't work (they can connect up to 20-25 pages max). Anybody done it before? How do you normally do this?

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:09
French to English
+ ...
The traditional way Oct 30, 2016

The traditional way is: pierce 2-3 holes along the binding edge, pull a length of string or narrow ribbon through them, tighten, tie the ends at the back of the last page. Spread the knot flat on the page, paste a sticker on top of it, affix your seal across the edge of the sticker.

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Comb or thermal binding Oct 30, 2016

11 cm (80 pages)-13 cm (100 pages) comb binding or thermal binding. A stationery retailer usually provides this type of service unless you have a comb binding machine at home. Thermal binding (ie. like a paperback book) looks much neater and more professional than comb binding.

Alternatively, use a suitably-sized ring binder or lever arch folder.

Olga El-Hagoug wrote:

Hello guys,

I have a small question. How do you bind thick translations with the originals?
I normally bind my sworn translations with eyelets, but this time the client ordered a sworn translation of a thick 42 page document. So, in total it is over 80 pages to bind together. Eyelets won't work (they can connect up to 20-25 pages max). Anybody done it before? How do you normally do this?

[Edited at 2016-10-30 11:11 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:09
English to French
+ ...
Low-tech wins Oct 30, 2016

You are so right! Never thought of that. Great idea.

Anton Konashenok wrote:

The traditional way is: pierce 2-3 holes along the binding edge, pull a length of string or narrow ribbon through them, tighten, tie the ends at the back of the last page. Spread the knot flat on the page, paste a sticker on top of it, affix your seal across the edge of the sticker.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:09
English to French
+ ...
Then, there is that: Oct 30, 2016

http://www.relicoil.com/assemblage-echantillonnage/36-vis-reliure-nickel-et-laiton.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Binding thick sworn translations

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »