Off topic: What if.... we apply the subscription model to our translations?
Thread poster: Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 17:55
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 21, 2016

I'd like to introduce "The yearly subscription model for translations". The principle is simple: I translate a text once for a certain price and my customer can use it for one year. In 1 year, my translation will expire. I will not even update it (Why would I? It is proofed and almost bug free), but if the client wants to continue using my translation he will be forced to paying the subscription again.... and again.... and again.

I'm expecting money to be pouring in with this busine
... See more
I'd like to introduce "The yearly subscription model for translations". The principle is simple: I translate a text once for a certain price and my customer can use it for one year. In 1 year, my translation will expire. I will not even update it (Why would I? It is proofed and almost bug free), but if the client wants to continue using my translation he will be forced to paying the subscription again.... and again.... and again.

I'm expecting money to be pouring in with this business model. This visionary idea came to me after having to pay for several yearly subscriptions for software this month.

Cheers, I'm off looking for property on the Maldives.

Toon
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:55
English to French
+ ...
Love it ! Oct 21, 2016

A great idea.

This being said, and the devil being in the details, the only thing remaining open is how to enforce it.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Patent Oct 21, 2016

JL01 wrote:

A great idea.

This being said, and the devil being in the details, the only thing remaining open is how to enforce it.

Or even better; patent all the words in your target language.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Would you subscribe to these? Oct 22, 2016

Columbia Records: in the 40s through the 70s, Columbia Records would send a free vinyl record to your home every month. They did the same thing with music CDs in the 1990s.

Book clubs have been doing it for a long time.

Even Wolfgang A. Mozart gave subscription-based concerts. He didn't make much money, though.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:55
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Would it press rates down even more? Oct 24, 2016

A good portion of my work is here today, gone tomorrow, or at least next week. Clients don't want to use it again.

Press announcements, marketing, newsletters... In fact, sometimes I am actually asked to disguise the fact that this year's blurb says exactly the same as last year's.

My favourite example is the trade fair: -
A record number of stands to visit, all the latest products, demos and seminars by the industry's leaders...

More stands than ev
... See more
A good portion of my work is here today, gone tomorrow, or at least next week. Clients don't want to use it again.

Press announcements, marketing, newsletters... In fact, sometimes I am actually asked to disguise the fact that this year's blurb says exactly the same as last year's.

My favourite example is the trade fair: -
A record number of stands to visit, all the latest products, demos and seminars by the industry's leaders...

More stands than ever before. Experts giving demos and seminars about the innovative solutions our industry has to offer...

Subscribers expect some kind of privilege, such as a discount, and I want full pay for that kind of thing!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What if.... we apply the subscription model to our translations?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »