Research project (perceived quality, crowdsourcing/volunteering, payment, professional status)
Thread poster: tabeadewille
tabeadewille
tabeadewille
Ireland
Aug 5, 2016

Dear Colleagues,

At the Localisation Research Centre, University of Limerick, we are conducting a study looking into perceptions of quality and the link to payment, crowdsourcing and professional status for translation and localisation. We would like to invite you to participate in a survey and, if you get selected, an experiment that investigates perceived quality in connection to volunteer translations. We are looking for as many participants as possible from all areas of transla
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

At the Localisation Research Centre, University of Limerick, we are conducting a study looking into perceptions of quality and the link to payment, crowdsourcing and professional status for translation and localisation. We would like to invite you to participate in a survey and, if you get selected, an experiment that investigates perceived quality in connection to volunteer translations. We are looking for as many participants as possible from all areas of translation and localisation - whether directly or indirectly involved. I would greatly appreciate it you decided to participate in the study itself, and also if you were to share this widely among your networks.

The direct link to the study is here, there is more information on the first page of the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PerceivedQualityInLocalisation

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:12
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Phew! Aug 5, 2016

There's a lot of it but it was great to have a well designed questionnaire for once. So often, you really might as well close your eyes and stick a pin in. In this one I felt that most of my answers reflected what I really thought.

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Really interesting! Aug 5, 2016

I second Sheila's comment.

I hope you let us know something about your results.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:12
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

I'd like to see the results, too Aug 5, 2016

Also, it certainly took me longer than 15 minutes to complete both sections of the questionnaire/experiment.

tabeadewille
tabeadewille
Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments Aug 5, 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to participate in the survey/experiment and also for your comments on here. I am glad you find it interesting and while I am not entirely sure yet how I will share the results, I will certainly do so - the final thesis will be of course available publicly but I don't expect anyone will want to go through that, so I will think of a more accessible way of sharing. It might take a while though before that is ready... See more
Thank you so much for taking the time to participate in the survey/experiment and also for your comments on here. I am glad you find it interesting and while I am not entirely sure yet how I will share the results, I will certainly do so - the final thesis will be of course available publicly but I don't expect anyone will want to go through that, so I will think of a more accessible way of sharing. It might take a while though before that is ready

Regarding length/time investment: Sorry about that, the estimate stated in the introduction comes from the piloting phase and I used the averages there but I can see from the results coming in that there is a big variability (between 10 and 40 minutes) so I will observe for a bit longer and then adjust it accordingly to not mislead people.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 20:12
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Done. Aug 6, 2016

I completed it too. Good luck with the project!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research project (perceived quality, crowdsourcing/volunteering, payment, professional status)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »