Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:10
English to Italian
Still... Jul 16, 2016

writeaway wrote:

At the bottom of your profile page:
More translators and interpreters: Russian to English - German to English More language pairs

At least this link keeps visitors/potential clients on Proz and doesn't send them off to a different site.

Yeah, but fact is, if a prospective client is viewing your profile, why should they be told to look for "more translators and interpreters" in your working pair(s) and be presented with an outbound link to do so?
Would you add a similar note/link on your résumé/website?

Naturally the P people are listed first but hey, customer-loyalty is supposed to reap rewards.

Actually, I believe that participation in the "PRO" program doesn't affect directory ranking. AFAIK, only paid membership and KudoZ points should (in that order).

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:10
Russian to English
+ ...
Found it, thanks Jul 16, 2016

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with TM-Town, however.
Has this link on our profile pages been there "forever"? I do object to it, for the reasons other have mentioned (it's MY page), but I wonder how long it has been there.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes... how long? Jul 16, 2016

Susan Welsh wrote:

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with TM-Town, however.
Has this link on our profile pages been there "forever"? I do object to it, for the reasons other have mentioned (it's MY page), but I wonder how long it has been there.

I wonder too, also, please advise if I have to start a new thread as this link could not be related with TM -Town, except that (not sure if related) the first in the list appearing by clicking that link under my paid profile page, is the one appearing as expert in Nakodo for the same pair.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
yes, new topic Jul 16, 2016

It should be a new topic, if anyone wishes to continue on this subject. (I posted my question with some hesitation!)

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
The wording of the link should be changed Jul 18, 2016

As I tried to explain in my previous comment, the phrasing "Get matched to the best experts for your job with Nakōdo" seems very misleading.

Could staff please react. Thank you.
S
... See more
As I tried to explain in my previous comment, the phrasing "Get matched to the best experts for your job with Nakōdo" seems very misleading.

Could staff please react. Thank you.
See:
http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/304034-tm_town_link_at_top_of_proz_kudoz_based_ranking_searches-page8.html#2571938
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:10
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Nine pages and no response Jul 18, 2016

Why has there been no response from ProZ staff to this issue?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
OK Jul 18, 2016

Sorry for the delay in getting to this. We had a big team meeting here in Syracuse (fifteen staff members from four countries, that is a big deal for us!) and apart from the team being otherwise occupied, I had my hands full personally.

For Jo: The "What I am working on" feature came out of a hackathon held at that meeting, and we've been following through on implementation of that... that's why you saw me in the CPN thread on that.

Anyway, about this thread, there we
... See more
Sorry for the delay in getting to this. We had a big team meeting here in Syracuse (fifteen staff members from four countries, that is a big deal for us!) and apart from the team being otherwise occupied, I had my hands full personally.

For Jo: The "What I am working on" feature came out of a hackathon held at that meeting, and we've been following through on implementation of that... that's why you saw me in the CPN thread on that.

Anyway, about this thread, there were some interesting points made, some off-topic, but I think the key point is this one:
Jo Macdonald wrote:
... I've contributed a lot of time to my kudoz ranking and don't want people who've found me here to be encouraged to look for someone else on another site. So if possible I would rather see that link removed from the top of the Proz Translators' search results.

I understand this position very well. We'll remove the link. (By the way, my guess would be that this link has been used by fewer than 1% of people arriving at this page. Of course that in no way negates the point.)
writeaway wrote:
I'd like to hear what the (long-term) policy is: is Proz going to be turned into, swallowed up and/or replaced by TM-Town?

None of the above. I think the important point is that ProZ.com and TM-Town are one business now. There is no competition between the sites, only cooperation, and we have no financial incentive to move people from one site to the other. It really is a matter of personal choice and preference.
Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:
... I think I would consider integrating the interesting new functionality offered by TM-Town directly into the old site, rather than keeping them separate...

Thank you for this! I asked for ideas when we announced the TM-Town acquisition, and it is nice that one comes out of this thread. This way of thinking (ie. creative thinking about possible integration) makes sense because the goal is to provide the best possible / most effective matching to a diverse group of outsourcers and service providers, some with needs that may best be met using existing ProZ.com functionality, and some with needs that may best be met using an approach that incorporates aspects of the TM-Town approach.

I anticipate that this hint at the incorporation of TM-Town technology into ProZ.com will not be well received by at least some of the participants in this particular forum thread. To them I would point out that one of our guiding principles is that "Member discretion is given precedence over administrator discretion." Another way of saying that is that we don't try to tell you how to run your business. Of course we would not facilitate activities that are illegal or unethical. But if there are ProZ.com members who find Nakodo useful for meeting clients, and clients who find Nakodo useful for meeting translators (for at least some types of work), then we will empower those members and clients to use Nakodo in an effective manner, in a way that they find (or believe) benefits them in their businesses.

Further anticipating objection, I would point out that another of our guiding principles is that "Choice is paramount, but compromise is crucial." What this means when applied to the case at hand is that we will work to present the Nakodo option to those who want it, while leaving those with no interest in Nakodo as unaffected as possible. That said, to quote the guiding principles page, "Each site user is given the maximum degree of control over his/her workplace experience. However, recognizing that we share a workplace in which one person's actions may affect another, site users cooperate and compromise as necessary."

Many of you here have helped fellow translators to an extraordinary degree over the years. In so doing, you have demonstrated a clear level of expertise in your respective language pairs and fields. This is reflected in your KudoZ points, and in turn affects the level of exposure you receive in the ProZ.com directory. This is not a perfect method of matching, by a long-shot. But it is highly effective and it remains the most popular means of matching in our industry. I don't expect it to go away soon. We don't have any plans to undermine it.

Ok, now to that link...
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Link gone Jul 18, 2016

The link should be removed.

Thank you all!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hmmmm Jul 19, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

......you have demonstrated a clear level of expertise in your respective language pairs and fields. This is reflected in your KudoZ points, and in turn affects the level of exposure you receive in the ProZ.com directory. This is not a perfect method of matching, by a long shot. But it is highly effective and it remains the most popular means of matching in our industry. I don't expect it to go away soon. We don't have any plans to undermine it.

....scratching chin....

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proz can have something for everyone Jul 19, 2016

Thank you for a very positive response Henry.

re:
Henry Dotterer wrote:
That said, to quote the guiding principles page, "Each site user is given the maximum degree of control over his/her workplace experience. However, recognizing that we share a workplace in which one person's actions may affect another, site users cooperate and compromise as necessary."

Henry, does this mean you have plans in the future to implement additional functions for members to control what is displayed in their profiles like the current "Show/Hide WWA" toggle also for things such as "Show/Hide links to TM-Town in profile" or "Show/Hide links to other translators in profile"?

If so I think it would be an excellent option, giving members the chance to customise their profile and create their own specific marketplace, diversifying the Proz offer, consolidating its position with both TMT and Non-TMT users, and at the same time giving TMT users the opportunity to proactively promote the site as a function they want to use, while those who aren't interested can just turn off the "Show/Hide TM-Town link" or "Show/Hide other translators" functions as they wish.

I really do think Proz can have something for everyone.

Keep up the good work and thanks again
Jo

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I back Jo's idea of customizing what is shown on our own profile pages Jul 19, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Naturally the P people are listed first but hey, customer-loyalty is supposed to reap rewards.

Actually, I believe that participation in the "PRO" program doesn't affect directory ranking. AFAIK, only paid membership and KudoZ points should (in that order).

Jo Macdonald wrote:
If so I think it would be an excellent option, giving members the chance to customise their profile and create their own specific marketplace, diversifying the Proz offer, consolidating its position with both TMT and Non-TMT users, and at the same time giving TMT users the opportunity to proactively promote the site as a function they want to use, while those who aren't interested can just turn off the "Show/Hide TM-Town link" or "Show/Hide other translators" functions as they wish.

After clicking on the links to my own language pairs at the bottom of my personal profile page, I can confirm that all one sees are P badge members. All of them are listed before any lowly "ordinary" members even though the ordinary members may be higher up on the Kudoz star list and may have a more proven track record on the site.
I would really appreciate not showing these links on a page that is supposed to be mine. Please do allow us to hide these links if we feel it's in our own best interest.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Not seeing that... Jul 19, 2016

writeaway wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

After clicking on the links to my own language pairs at the bottom of my personal profile page, I can confirm that all one sees are P badge members. All of them are listed before any lowly "ordinary" members even though the ordinary members may be higher up on the Kudoz star list and may have a more proven track record on the site.

I just did a FR-EN directory search, and I see a mix of "P and non-P" paying members listed, ordered by KudoZ points... (1st non-P, 2nd P, 3rd non-P, 4th you, etc.)

I would really appreciate not showing these links on a page that is supposed to be mine. Please do allow us to hide these links if we feel it's in our own best interest.

Agreed, I would appreciate that as well, but overall, this is starting to look like a lost battle, truth be told...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Seconded Jul 19, 2016

writeaway wrote:

Yes, please have also deleted those links in our profile page.

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
seconded Jul 19, 2016

The link to "More translators and interpreters (...)" is not in my interest and had I been given the choice whether or not it should figure on my profile page (quod non), I would have said no.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town link at top of Proz kudoz-based ranking searches

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »