Could you deliver...
Thread poster: S_G_C
lundeghe Terence Keming
lundeghe Terence Keming
Cameroon
Local time: 08:27
French to English
Talking about mother tongue Jul 5, 2016

Most African translators do not translate into their mother tongues. They translate into their official languages. Let us remember that they are all from former British, French Spanish or Portuguese colonies. They have their mother tongues, but these languages are not used internationally.Almost all Africans use the languages of their former colonial masters for education, administration and trade. So, I generally get lost when translators lay too much emphasis on the mother tongue phenomenon.... See more
Most African translators do not translate into their mother tongues. They translate into their official languages. Let us remember that they are all from former British, French Spanish or Portuguese colonies. They have their mother tongues, but these languages are not used internationally.Almost all Africans use the languages of their former colonial masters for education, administration and trade. So, I generally get lost when translators lay too much emphasis on the mother tongue phenomenon.
For instance, my mother tongue is Oku, but I translate into English, the first official language in the anglophone regions of Cameroon. Most of my university education was in French, so I can also translate into French. As such, I can so conveniently translate into both, translating up to 8 pages per day if I have a proper mastery of the field.
One thing we should understand about end clients: they do not generally master the intricacies of language. Most of them think that if you can translate from a language, you can also translate into that language. Besides, some clients see no real difference between translation and typing. It is our role as language service professionals to educate our clients on the difference between the two.
One last thing before I rest my case: when your regular client contacts you under such circumstances, you need to be careful. You may let them go and they go forever, especially if the next translator offers a better service at a reduced cost. 'Never let your husband know how the woman next door behaves in bed because there is a risk he may start spending the night there'
So, I strongly suggest you take the job and get the next translators yourself.
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:27
English to German
I have no ambition to do that Jul 5, 2016

lundeghe wrote:

One last thing before I rest my case: when your regular client contacts you under such circumstances, you need to be careful. You may let them go and they go forever, especially if the next translator offers a better service at a reduced cost.

Recently a regular client did approach me with a job into English, but I reminded her of my mother tongue and explained why I do not translate into a foreign language.

I did not loose the client by any means, she told me that she had forgotten and I think it would have harmed our relationship or I may even have lost the client, if I had taken the job and delivered something that a native translator could have done better.

Also, I find the wording pushy and demanding. Ideally I like to proofread my work the next day and a "spotless translation", well, I am not sure that exists.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 10:27
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Never Jul 5, 2016

1. I never take on jobs which I cannot deliver to my (and the client's) standards - that is what I meant by "spotless".

2. I never subcontract the jobs I receive. If I considered doing it, I might as well turn into a translation agency myself, hence change my professional status and tax registration.

[Edited at 2016-07-05 09:18 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could you deliver...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »