Thread poster: Markus Nystrom
Markus Nystrom
Markus Nystrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:54
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2016

Some of you may remember that I put up a site called Frenchtranslation.org and posted it on this forum a little while back. That site has now been complemented by just short of a dozen sites geared toward various high-demand languages and specific translation disciplines.

Here is the entire network:

[omitted to satisfy the censorious urge of an anonymous busybody]

The idea is that when prospective corporate consumers of translation services comb the
... See more
Some of you may remember that I put up a site called Frenchtranslation.org and posted it on this forum a little while back. That site has now been complemented by just short of a dozen sites geared toward various high-demand languages and specific translation disciplines.

Here is the entire network:

[omitted to satisfy the censorious urge of an anonymous busybody]

The idea is that when prospective corporate consumers of translation services comb the search engines for an agency, they may chance to visit one of my sites and then learn a thing or two about how to procure quality translation services from quality agencies and freelancers while avoiding low-cost jack-of-all-trades agencies.

Of course my intention behind this network is other than merely doing businesses in need of translation services a favor. Both lead generation for sale to agencies and passive advertising revenue are on my mind.

This is my first foray into web development, and I acknowledge that it may show in the outcome. The content is repetitive and in some cases quite provisional. And yet I think kindly inclined colleagues wizened by years of experience in the industry may see kernels of truth in what I've assembled.

This stab at entry-level entrepreneurship was a burning need for me: it is past time to cultivate sources of income other than the translation work that I have come to regard as a form of intellectual proletarianism with a very definite ceiling that my shoulders yearn to break through.

I would be pleased to hear your substantive feedback. I would be especially interested to hear about the efforts that others among you have made at securing passive income, whether related to the translation field or not. Perhaps we can inspire each other.

Cheers,

Markus

[Edited at 2016-04-01 18:27 GMT]

PS

Actually it seems we will not be inspiring each other. I see that one of you took it upon herself to report my posting to the moderator as an "advertisement". Sour grapes much? This will be the last time I share a business initiative with the Proz forum.

[Edited at 2016-04-02 06:23 GMT]
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
German to English
+ ...
a bit confused Apr 1, 2016

I am not sure how (or whether) these sites have any impact or relevance between me and potential clients. I glanced through some guidelines about what companies (translators?) are supposed to do to ensure this and that --- procedures of some kind - and I'm not sure that I agree with them. Mostly I was lost. It might be me.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:54
Russian to English
Same here Apr 2, 2016

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

I am not sure how (or whether) these sites have any impact or relevance between me and potential clients. I glanced through some guidelines about what companies (translators?) are supposed to do to ensure this and that --- procedures of some kind - and I'm not sure that I agree with them. Mostly I was lost. It might be me.

Maxi - no, it's not you. I had the same thoughts. I haven't a clue what the site's about.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Procurement guide network

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »