José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Mar 22, 2016

I couldn't resist sharing with you guys...

About seven months ago, I got this offer, right out of the blue (unknown outsourcer):
We have a divorce contract to be translated into English, see
details below:

Source language: Portuguese
Target language: English Word count: 500 words
Source format: PDF
Delivery format: MS Word
Payment: $27 by PayPal, 30 days from invoice.
Deadline: in the next 5-6 hours please.

Please advise availability and I shall send you the file.

They assumed it would be only a matter of my availability, upon such a generous offer.

So my reply was unusually blunt:
The two acceptable words on this job are: PDF and MS Word.
Everything else in your offer is insulting.

Today, seven months later, I got it back with:
Thank you for replying. We have found the resources to complete that particular project, however I would appreciate if you register on our website for us to be able to work with you on future jobs.

My take is that they are now attempting to add injury to insult (sic!).

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:14
English to Polish
+ ...
Corpo Mar 22, 2016

Corporate minions are trained to be assertive and negotiation-enabled, which means they're going to behave in all sorts of unnatural ways devised by psychologists who sold out. They will often act in hilarious ways to preserve a commercial relationship that's headed downhill (down the toilet, more like), in spite of all the rational and emotional factors that speak against. To them, that's business.

With the proviso th
... See more
Corporate minions are trained to be assertive and negotiation-enabled, which means they're going to behave in all sorts of unnatural ways devised by psychologists who sold out. They will often act in hilarious ways to preserve a commercial relationship that's headed downhill (down the toilet, more like), in spite of all the rational and emotional factors that speak against. To them, that's business.

With the proviso that I wouldn't normally provide assistance in the procurement or implementation of a divorce for religious reasons, I'm particularly opposed to the notion of immediate turnaround simply because someone wants it. Such a request can only be justified by either a very urgent, legitimate, real need that makes it okay to ask, or the sort of huge overpayment that prevents a purely convenience-based request from being rude.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:14
English to French
+ ...
"resources"?! Mar 22, 2016

I am not a "resource." This has to be the most insulting term of the entire exchange.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Goodness, how could you refuse such a tempting offer? Mar 22, 2016

Heh.
Usually I don't bother replying, but sometimes if a rate isn't specified, I can't resist and write them that if they are willing to pay my rate of x,xx @ per word, then we can continue the discussion. Otherwise no.
Oddly enough, I have even received a couple of polite replies to those somewhat curt responses, acknowledging that the rate was too high, but thanks anyway. Those were nice surprises and restored my faith in the industry...somewhat.

Have a nice Easter, J
... See more
Heh.
Usually I don't bother replying, but sometimes if a rate isn't specified, I can't resist and write them that if they are willing to pay my rate of x,xx @ per word, then we can continue the discussion. Otherwise no.
Oddly enough, I have even received a couple of polite replies to those somewhat curt responses, acknowledging that the rate was too high, but thanks anyway. Those were nice surprises and restored my faith in the industry...somewhat.

Have a nice Easter, José!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Tempting but Mar 23, 2016

Of course it makes you feel better when you answer sarcastically to unfair offers. but for how long?
If the job would interest me but the offered rate is too low I state my rate, if the job does not interest me I keep silent.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Not uncommon... Mar 23, 2016

JL01 wrote:

I am not a "resource." This has to be the most insulting term of the entire exchange.

I'm afraid that's a pretty "standard" term in agency lingo to refer to human beings doing their bidding... I guess "slave" (still) is a tad too politically incorrect to be used openly, but I'm sure we'll do away with such gratuitous niceties, in time.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Human "Resources" Mar 23, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

JL01 wrote:

I'm afraid that's a pretty "standard" term in agency lingo to refer to human beings doing their bidding... I guess "slave" (still) is a tad too politically incorrect to be used openly, but I'm sure we'll do away with such gratuitous niceties, in time.

Not just agencies, but the entire corporate world. "Human resources" is corporate-speak for "people".

[Edited at 2016-03-23 19:05 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:14
English to German
Yes, but ... Mar 23, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

JL01 wrote:

Not just agencies, but the entire corporate world. "Human resources" is corporate-speak for "people".

[Edited at 2016-03-23 19:05 GMT]

only when you speak about people to get a job done, but you don't call anyone "resource".

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, we ARE people Mar 23, 2016

Even more insulting is what they have officially called our personnel department now: Human Capital. YUCKY!!!! We're not money, although it seems that is how "they" deal with us.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
To whom it may concern... Mar 24, 2016

Well, José. At least the offer was addressed to you. I receive, almost on a daily basis, offers from splendid companies with very elegant opening:

"To whom it may concern" (sometimes: "To Whom It May Concern")

Up until now, I did not know the answer to this (what I considered a) question. Now I know that it may concern to a "resource".

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
It'd be nice to be treated like humans, sure. Mar 24, 2016

How do we expect it to happen when for them we are just a bunch of megapixels on the screen they will never even get a chance to look in the eye in person?

[Edited at 2016-03-24 08:33 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Hey I can top that! Mar 24, 2016

A while back I had an interview with a prestigious agency for an in-house job. When I asked about salary, they said I would first have to work for a few days to show what I was capable of, then we could discuss it. I grabbed my bag and sailed out with my head held high, saying that it was out of the question.

Few months later, I get a frantic e-mail from a secretary saying she had been trying to call me all week (I must have forgotten to send them the update on my contact details,
... See more
A while back I had an interview with a prestigious agency for an in-house job. When I asked about salary, they said I would first have to work for a few days to show what I was capable of, then we could discuss it. I grabbed my bag and sailed out with my head held high, saying that it was out of the question.

Few months later, I get a frantic e-mail from a secretary saying she had been trying to call me all week (I must have forgotten to send them the update on my contact details, silly me!) and please could I call back, because an interesting job opportunity had come up. I expect the person they hired had just quit. I took great pleasure in explaining why I was never having anything to do with that agency for the rest of my life, and I'm pretty sure I referred to myself as a human being.
Collapse

Peter Leeflang
Peter Leeflang  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
I actually love such requests :-) Mar 24, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

....My take is that they are now attempting to add injury to insult (sic!).

Why take things personal with any quote request?
I think it is just business, albeit in that case bad business.
Big benefit of such processes is that I can move such companies to my black list and never waste my time on them in the future.
So I love dumb requests like that.

[Edited at 2016-03-24 16:07 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I meant it literally Mar 24, 2016

Peter Leeflang wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

....My take is that they are now attempting to add injury to insult (sic!).

Why take things personal with any quote request?
I think it is just business, albeit in that case bad business.
Big benefit of such processes is that I can move such companies to my black list and never waste my time on them in the future.
So I love dumb requests like that.

Their first job offer was insulting.
Now they want to add injury (money loss) by attempting to lure me into doing business with them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The nice guys

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »