Markus Nystrom
Markus Nystrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:53
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2016

Hi all.

I recently bought the domain name frenchtranslation.org and have begun to add some content to it. I am not a translator of French, but I seized upon the name as an opportunity all the same.

"French translation" gets around 450,000 exact searches per month on Google. Of course, most of the searchers are probably looking for instant machine translation. But some sizable share is looking for the services of an agency or freelancer. Agencies with good SEO will then
... See more
Hi all.

I recently bought the domain name frenchtranslation.org and have begun to add some content to it. I am not a translator of French, but I seized upon the name as an opportunity all the same.

"French translation" gets around 450,000 exact searches per month on Google. Of course, most of the searchers are probably looking for instant machine translation. But some sizable share is looking for the services of an agency or freelancer. Agencies with good SEO will then capture a portion of the traffic and monetize it by coupling it to the mind traction of their translator labor force. The purpose of my little site is not to serve as a lead generation service for agencies (although this could come later), but to try to educate corporate purchasers of translation about what to look for in an agency, including the ability to identify its owners and key personnel, the agency's Blue Board track record (score one for us translators!), whether it is possible to reach someone who sounds educated on the phone, etc. There is a page that attempts, somewhat irreverently, to demystify the "transltion workflow". The site also lists a few agencies operating in the FR>EN, EN>FR pairs, and provides other information to help translation "consumers" go out and retain the services of freelancers directly.

If the site works as I mean for it to, it will rank in the search engines, educate translation purchasers about all the scamminess in the industry, and hopefully lead to an income boost for good translators and agencies.

In order to make this site more useful and relevant I'd like to know what agencies or other resources I might consider adding to the site. My selection of agencies was very subjective and obviously incomplete, so I'd like to know which others might deserve some publicity. I am not planning on including direct links to the agency websites for the moment, although I am including active links to Proz. I'd be obliged if the community had a look: www.frenchtranslation.org

Other suggestions are welcome too.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Speed is of the essence Mar 2, 2016

1) 3) If any reader delves a little deeper and finds out you are you yourself are not involved in French translation, how trustworthy will they think you are? You can only really speak about the language pairs you work in and have personal knowledge of.

2) Your audience want to find what they are looking for and find it quickly, in half a minute or less. They will scan a page but not read a lengthy text that does not give them what they are looking for. They will definitely not be
... See more
1) 3) If any reader delves a little deeper and finds out you are you yourself are not involved in French translation, how trustworthy will they think you are? You can only really speak about the language pairs you work in and have personal knowledge of.

2) Your audience want to find what they are looking for and find it quickly, in half a minute or less. They will scan a page but not read a lengthy text that does not give them what they are looking for. They will definitely not be interested in the irrelevant ads at the top.

3) Keep your explanation of the purpose of your website to just one paragraph, list the pitfalls/scams in point form and then list the recommended agencies also in point form with only a brief explanation of why you recommend them. Do provide a link.
Collapse

Markus Nystrom
Markus Nystrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:53
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Duly noted Mar 2, 2016

Thanks Tina, I'll try to incorporate your suggestions.

As for the rest, still hoping for FrenchEnglish translators to suggest reputable agencies for inclusion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My new site: trying to affect public perception of translation industry

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »