Self-certification of translations
Thread poster: Claire Titchmarsh (X)
Claire Titchmarsh (X)
Claire Titchmarsh (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:11
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2004

I had a quick look through the forums and couldn't find anything which answers my question, even though I'm sure it must have come up before, so I'd appreciate any comments/experience on this.
A client has asked me for "autocertificazione" (self-certification) on a translation which as far as I understand it is nothing to do with sworn/notarised translations, she just wants me to certify that the translation is accurate (unless she's confused her terminology which is quite possible!)
... See more
I had a quick look through the forums and couldn't find anything which answers my question, even though I'm sure it must have come up before, so I'd appreciate any comments/experience on this.
A client has asked me for "autocertificazione" (self-certification) on a translation which as far as I understand it is nothing to do with sworn/notarised translations, she just wants me to certify that the translation is accurate (unless she's confused her terminology which is quite possible!)

My question is: 1) Does anyone ever do this kind of thing, and if so, what do you write ? Something like "I hereby certify that this is a true and complete translation of the original" ?
and 2) is there any point in actually doing it? I mean, if it's not certified by a notary or court etc. then what's the point?
Collapse

Vicky Shelton
Vicky Shelton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Similar situation Dec 13, 2004

I had a client ask for basically the same thing about a month ago, also in Italy and I refused to do it. I explained to them that I do not have a contract with them and was under no legal obligation to provide such a document. My reason for refusing is that this client is particularly inclined to sue customers, translators and other suppliers.
However, if you decide to provide this kind of certificate why don't you get a copy of the document they use at your comune autocertificazione? It w
... See more
I had a client ask for basically the same thing about a month ago, also in Italy and I refused to do it. I explained to them that I do not have a contract with them and was under no legal obligation to provide such a document. My reason for refusing is that this client is particularly inclined to sue customers, translators and other suppliers.
However, if you decide to provide this kind of certificate why don't you get a copy of the document they use at your comune autocertificazione? It would at least give you an idea of the right wording.
Best of luck,
Vicky
Collapse

Emmanouil Tyrakis
Emmanouil Tyrakis
Local time: 03:11
French to Greek
+ ...
For Cyprus Dec 13, 2004

This is what we use in Cyprus:

I, the undersigned ..............., holder of the I.D. card No ......., hereby declare that I am a .............UNIVERSITY graduate in Translation, Full Regular Member of the XXXXX Union (Member of the International Federation of Translators – FIT.), and I have in my above capacity translated from Greek into English the attached document and that the English text is to the best of my knowledge a faithful translation of the Greek original text.
... See more
This is what we use in Cyprus:

I, the undersigned ..............., holder of the I.D. card No ......., hereby declare that I am a .............UNIVERSITY graduate in Translation, Full Regular Member of the XXXXX Union (Member of the International Federation of Translators – FIT.), and I have in my above capacity translated from Greek into English the attached document and that the English text is to the best of my knowledge a faithful translation of the Greek original text.

Best regards

Emmanuel
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:11
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
In UK too Dec 13, 2004

I am sometimes asked to do this (usually for birth, marriage and death certificates and education diplomas), and use a formulation of words very similar to that given by Tyrem.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
- Dec 13, 2004

I am often asked to sign similar certifications for medical translations. The text is more or less as follows:

"I, _____ , Translator for _________, hereby declare that I am fully conversant with the ENGLISH and RUSSIAN languages and I am a competent translator thereof. I declare further that I am the only author of the translation and to the best of my knowledge, the following document is a true and correct translation into RUSSIAN of the accompanying original document in the ENGL
... See more
I am often asked to sign similar certifications for medical translations. The text is more or less as follows:

"I, _____ , Translator for _________, hereby declare that I am fully conversant with the ENGLISH and RUSSIAN languages and I am a competent translator thereof. I declare further that I am the only author of the translation and to the best of my knowledge, the following document is a true and correct translation into RUSSIAN of the accompanying original document in the ENGLISH language."

I have signed dozens of similar certifications and never had any problems.
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same here Dec 13, 2004

Natalie wrote:

"I, _____ , Translator for _________, hereby declare that I am fully conversant with the ENGLISH and RUSSIAN languages and I am a competent translator thereof. I declare further that I am the only author of the translation and to the best of my knowledge, the following document is a true and correct translation into RUSSIAN of the accompanying original document in the ENGLISH language."

I have signed dozens of similar certifications and never had any problems.

I've been asked to sign such documents as well, and quite often at that. Usually for medical and - in my case - legal and financial documents.
No problem, provided of course you're sure about the quality of your work. And it never hurts to send a locked PDF of the said document alongwith the Word document.

Good luck!

Nicky Over
Nicky Over  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Who will swear a certified translation? Feb 22, 2005

Can anyone help, please? This isn't exactly self-certification, because the declaration needs to be more official than that. I am English, working in England, and have been asked to produce a sworn translation of a birth certificate and school diplomas. I know that translators cannot be certified in England (well, not in this sense anyway!) but where do I need to go to swear my translation? Will an affidavit sworn before a solicitor be OK, or do I need to do it in front of a notary public? I nee... See more
Can anyone help, please? This isn't exactly self-certification, because the declaration needs to be more official than that. I am English, working in England, and have been asked to produce a sworn translation of a birth certificate and school diplomas. I know that translators cannot be certified in England (well, not in this sense anyway!) but where do I need to go to swear my translation? Will an affidavit sworn before a solicitor be OK, or do I need to do it in front of a notary public? I need to know about the specific situation in England, since the English legal system is different from any other (even Scottish!). Thanks for any information.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
American certified translations Feb 22, 2005

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:

If I understand the USA system correctly, any translator can certify his own translation. What the purpose of this is, I can't tell you.

I did some sworn translation for an agency in another country, in which country I was not registered as a sworn translator, but in which the laws allow for non-sworn translators to perform such translations in certain cases (such as my case). In that case, I "certified" my translation with a simple declaration of who I am and the fact that the translation is correct to my knowledge.

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
In the same position! Mar 20, 2005

Nicky Over wrote:

Can anyone help, please? This isn't exactly self-certification, because the declaration needs to be more official than that. I am English, working in England, and have been asked to produce a sworn translation of a birth certificate and school diplomas. I know that translators cannot be certified in England (well, not in this sense anyway!) but where do I need to go to swear my translation? Will an affidavit sworn before a solicitor be OK, or do I need to do it in front of a notary public? I need to know about the specific situation in England, since the English legal system is different from any other (even Scottish!). Thanks for any information.

Hello Nicky

I need to know the answer to your question as I find myself ( frustratingly ) in exactly the same position, did anyone provide you with an answer?

Best Regards

Mihailo

EL_isa
EL_isa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
UK - self-certifying a translation Nov 8, 2019

Jack Doughty wrote:

I am sometimes asked to do this (usually for birth, marriage and death certificates and education diplomas), and use a formulation of words very similar to that given by Tyrem.

Dear Jack,
I can see you are / have worked in the UK, therefore I would really like to know the following.

I recently gained a MA Degree in Translation (merit) issued by a good UK University. I also hold a BA (Hons) in Modern Languages, and an Enhanced DBS Check. So far, I have done a few translations and an internship in a translation company, however I am not a member of any professional bodies nor am I a translation company myself. I have the status of self-employed.

Would I be allowed to "self-certify" the translations of my own foreign education diplomas into English and submit them to UK authorities?

Looking forward to hearing from you all, UK-based translators!
Thanks a lot,

Elisa

EL_isa
EL_isa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
gov.uk link Nov 8, 2019

Dear Mihailolja,

maybe this can be of help.
https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

I am aware that your post is veeeeryy old - how did it go then?

Best Wishes,
Elisa

Mihailolja wrote:

Nicky Over wrote:

Can anyone help, please? This isn't exactly self-certification, because the declaration needs to be more official than that. I am English, working in England, and have been asked to produce a sworn translation of a birth certificate and school diplomas. I know that translators cannot be certified in England (well, not in this sense anyway!) but where do I need to go to swear my translation? Will an affidavit sworn before a solicitor be OK, or do I need to do it in front of a notary public? I need to know about the specific situation in England, since the English legal system is different from any other (even Scottish!). Thanks for any information.

Hello Nicky

I need to know the answer to your question as I find myself ( frustratingly ) in exactly the same position, did anyone provide you with an answer?

Best Regards

Mihailo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Self-certification of translations

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »