Thread poster: sasp
Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
English to German
working for smaller companies Mar 5, 2010

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

I hate this scenario and I agree with other peers:
I prefer a lot working with middle-little LPs where relationships are still humane

Claudio

Me, too. The problem is that they are often subcontractors of the large LSPs...

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
fell into the trap... Mar 5, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:

Below is an extract from the BS Report on the Translating Industry 2010.

Our preliminary research has indicated that many translators are interested in low-paying work and tight deadlines.Moreover, a significant number have expressed a preference for weekend work and say that enjoy offering extended periods of credit to their clients. Most translators report being confused by the variety of CAT tools available on the market and have said they would welcome a supplier who was able to simplify the decision-making process with respect to CAT tools...

Cheeky b****r

[Edited at 2010-03-05 14:05 GMT]

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hated the tool Mar 5, 2010

I worked for Liox for many years, this tool was one reason I dropped them (yes, I dropped them, even though they were 40% of my income at the time), because besides the endless demands on time, and the constant downward pressure on rates, they insisted on switching to this tool which we affectionately called logocaca (after having forced hundreds of translators to buy Trados, over the years, I might add).

The tool may have improved, but I suspect you will still not be
... See more
I worked for Liox for many years, this tool was one reason I dropped them (yes, I dropped them, even though they were 40% of my income at the time), because besides the endless demands on time, and the constant downward pressure on rates, they insisted on switching to this tool which we affectionately called logocaca (after having forced hundreds of translators to buy Trados, over the years, I might add).

The tool may have improved, but I suspect you will still not be able to work when their server goes down or if you have no internet connection... it was always slow as molasses... unless that's changed, you have no control whatsoever and will have to depend on them to not screw up a setup... you will give up your work immediately to a mass TM, and I understand that there are sound copyrights arguments against wanting to do this... as I remember, the tool allows distributing the same files to several people, so whoever gets there first gets the words, and strings in the same paragraph can conceivably be translated by different people.

Pay for using this? Not in a bad dream...

[Edited at 2010-03-05 16:02 GMT]
Collapse

Cruz Losada
Cruz Losada
Spain
Local time: 21:56
English to Spanish
Rosita and Bruno Mar 5, 2010

Some wise words have been said here.
I would like to add a couple of scenarios which I think this new system could easily create:
Case 1: Rosita has just got her translation degree; she is looking for work, sends her CV around, she is a qualified translator with no experience, registers in TW and pays her 100 €
Scenario: Lionbridge ends up with hundreds (even thousands) of Rositas, PetitJeans, Ingrids, Marcelos, etc who pay their 100€ a year in the hope a job will arrive o
... See more
Some wise words have been said here.
I would like to add a couple of scenarios which I think this new system could easily create:
Case 1: Rosita has just got her translation degree; she is looking for work, sends her CV around, she is a qualified translator with no experience, registers in TW and pays her 100 €
Scenario: Lionbridge ends up with hundreds (even thousands) of Rositas, PetitJeans, Ingrids, Marcelos, etc who pay their 100€ a year in the hope a job will arrive one day, they have access to all these wonderful translation tools and a whole universe of professional knowledge, but no work. Maintime Lionbridge makes PROFIT out of their hope of getting a job.
Case 2: Bruno works for several big companies, from some of them he gets more work, from others just small bits.
Scenario:Having seen the increase in PROFIT coming from charging the translators to work for them, other companies follow the example of Lionbridge. They all develop their own tools. The market gets flooded with translation tools (some of them really dodgy) each of the companies Bruno works for magnanimously offers him (and you and me) trouble and updates-cost free. Bruno pays all of those even minimum fees to each of them. Work might decrease so Bruno decides to contact other companies which will cost him more money. Localisation companies make PROFIT out of the artistic balancing act which is frecuently the working life of a freelance translator.
Are these scenarios in anyway beneficial or fair to the translators?

I find very hard to swallow that any of this was in anyway conceived and thought for our benefit. Which adds insult to injury: we are made to sit and listen how all of this is good for us...
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
fell into the trap... Mar 5, 2010

ARGH!
now I understand John message !
LOL

the BS Report on the Translating Industry 2010 was a hoax!!!
hàhàhàhà

but I'm quite sure that Translating Industry would have created it
so it's not so far from the truth ...

Claudio

nimrodtran
nimrodtran
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's them know our opinion Mar 5, 2010

We have that chance at

http://blog.lionbridge.com/translation-and-localization/bid/21766/Translation-Workspace-Benefits-Beyond-the-Obvious

Probably they will filter it, but at least we'll let them know what's our opinion

OR

We can contribute to reduce the unemployment (th
... See more
We have that chance at

http://blog.lionbridge.com/translation-and-localization/bid/21766/Translation-Workspace-Benefits-Beyond-the-Obvious

Probably they will filter it, but at least we'll let them know what's our opinion

OR

We can contribute to reduce the unemployment (they'll have to contract A LOT of filterers...)
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Let's them know our opinion Mar 5, 2010

just left this comment:
millions of dollars invested for this garbage?
GREAT!
I hope you don't translate the IIS user's manuals
I don't want that some piece of hardware falls on my head tomorrow, due to some blunders
LOL

I'm quite curious to see if they will post it ...
ROTFL

Claudio

Ahnan Alex
Ahnan Alex  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 03:56
Member (2010)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Don't think twice! Think thousand times! Mar 5, 2010

Well, it sounds ridiculous when the big company like Liox uses that kind of way. Is there any economical decline in it, so that it applies such kind of system? Well, my fellow friend, please reconsider to take that. When there is 100% guarantee of being employed after you pay, just take it! If there is no guarantee at all, DON'T TAKE IT NO MATTER WHAT!

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Why not? Mar 5, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:
Let's put it this way.
If they make me wear pink slips while I translate but pay me 25 cents a word, why not.

For the same reason - more or less - for which I prefer freelancing to corporate life.
This is MY business and I am setting the rules of HOW things will be done, not my customers.
The moment I cannot do this as a translator, I'll start a travel agency or a DTP business or... whatever will come to my mind. One prerequisite - not to be bossed around by anyone.
As a matter of principle, I don't work for huge or even some medium-sized agencies, just because they treat people as if they were their employees. Heavily underpaid ones, at that.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ha, ha, ha Mar 5, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

If they make me wear pink slips while I translate but pay me 25 cents a word, why not.

[Edited at 2010-03-05 08:03 GMT]

You cracked me up, Krzysztof, you will never have that problem with Liox, good luck getting half of that out them, at least in Spanish!!!

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Logoport Mar 6, 2010

Oleg Prots wrote:

There was a surprising revelation for me at the webinar - that "many translators have been repeatedly asking for the ability to use Logoport for their own projects" (not 100% accurate quote maybe, but that was the idea). This sounded like a poor bluff to me...
What you think? Would you ever want to use Logoport for non-Lion projects, even for free?

[Edited at 2010-03-04 16:09 GMT]

As far as I am concerned, using logoport is horrible and sometimes I have to refuse projects just because they are done in Logoport. It's a terrible tool that slows down my work considerably.

I am already using my own CAT tools (trados\transit) and I have no interest whatsoever into using a new tool for other clients.

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
alternatives Mar 6, 2010

translators will go to great lengths not to use it (including the use of other tools and then converting to Logoport-segmented text).

How do you do that? I'd be totally interested.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
... or selling your soul to the company store? Mar 6, 2010

KSL Berlin wrote:

John Rawlins wrote:
You have to take your hat off in admiration for their relentless spirit of innovation.
... Now they have managed to pull another rabbit from the hat - by charging suppliers to work for them.

Innovation, John? No way. That's been around for years as a traditional system of work in parts of the US. It's called "sharecropping".

Is anyone old enough to remember that terrific Frankie Laine song "I owe my soul to the company store"?
Workers lived on a company-owned housing estate and were paid in tokens which could be redeemed only in shops on that estate. I visited a "ghost town" of that kind in Chile recently, at a nitrates plant called Humberstone, the name of the entrepreneur who dreamed it up and made his pile. Fascinating - but somewhat grim.
I thought that kind of worker-exploitation died out long ago, but no, it's being revived!
Jenny

I remember now that the song is actually called "Sixteen tons".

[Edited at 2010-03-06 23:25 GMT]

nimrodtran
nimrodtran
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Our opinion Mar 6, 2010

I know other people (me, for example) have left comments at their page, some of them "soft", i.e., not calling the garbage by its name ;.))

Do you think that they published it? Oh, no. Honest they are not...

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Logoport Tools Mar 6, 2010

Luca Ruella wrote:

translators will go to great lengths not to use it (including the use of other tools and then converting to Logoport-segmented text).

How do you do that? I'd be totally interested.

You can use Logoport Tools that are installed with Logoport to convert and auto-translate your files. The downside is that you can only auto-translatte 100% and 100% matches, nothing below that level. Once you're done, you convert the file back to Logoport format and clean up a copy to update their TM.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Workspace / Lionbridge CAT tool

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »