Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:34
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Never worked for a Chinese agency Jun 20, 2009

When I signed contracts and NDA-s with a few U.S. and Canadian companies ( direct clients), those people needed some verification of my identity. My local ID documents are not in English, so the passport copy was the only solution. I've never had any problems, the companies are legit and always paid on time.

Of course, do not send your passport copy to some semi-agency without an established business history by any means. I've never been asked to send it before reviewing the NDA d
... See more
When I signed contracts and NDA-s with a few U.S. and Canadian companies ( direct clients), those people needed some verification of my identity. My local ID documents are not in English, so the passport copy was the only solution. I've never had any problems, the companies are legit and always paid on time.

Of course, do not send your passport copy to some semi-agency without an established business history by any means. I've never been asked to send it before reviewing the NDA document, which was always stamped and with an original signature of an authority, along with the company logo.
Collapse

alz
alz  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You All Jun 20, 2009

Thank you all for your opinions.

This time the agency in matter is from EU.
I sent them only my CV and my references. I think this is far enough at this point.

My bank and tax data will be written on my Invoice anyway ones an Invoice has to be issued.

I have absolutely no intention to send them my passport scans. Offering me a collaboration as a frelance contractor, they do not need it at all. I was just curious if somebody else had similar experience
... See more
Thank you all for your opinions.

This time the agency in matter is from EU.
I sent them only my CV and my references. I think this is far enough at this point.

My bank and tax data will be written on my Invoice anyway ones an Invoice has to be issued.

I have absolutely no intention to send them my passport scans. Offering me a collaboration as a frelance contractor, they do not need it at all. I was just curious if somebody else had similar experiences.

I do agree with all of you who stated that the more data an agency colects the less job it delivers.

Thank you again for your time.

Greetings from Croatia

ALZ

[Edited at 2009-06-20 20:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-20 20:27 GMT]
Collapse

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 18:34
Greek to English
+ ...
No! Jun 20, 2009

The passport is NOT your property. It is the property of the country that issued it (ever read your passport?). Do not provide such information.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you ever want to see the passport of your lawyer? Jun 20, 2009

alz wrote:
I've been in translation business as freelancer for over 20 years. I had never been asked for a copy of my passport before.

No? Why?

Carla Guerreiro
Carla Guerreiro  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Very strange, indeed! Jun 21, 2009

I've never been asked to send a scan of my passport, not even to a chinese translation agency I worked with (a very bad one, to tell you the truth)...

I wonder what's the purpose of such absurd request...

[Editado em 2009-06-21 09:56 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:34
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Although so many people objected to the idea of May 7, 2018

providing a scanned copy of your passport to a client, we may need to re-think about the issue.

Recently I have several agency clients who requested me to submit a scanned copy of my US passport. I hesitated to provide it at first but later on I realized that for these agency clients, having the scanned copy of the linguist's US passport is mandatory in their recruitment procedure. This is because some government departments/agencies require their documents to be translated by Ameri
... See more
providing a scanned copy of your passport to a client, we may need to re-think about the issue.

Recently I have several agency clients who requested me to submit a scanned copy of my US passport. I hesitated to provide it at first but later on I realized that for these agency clients, having the scanned copy of the linguist's US passport is mandatory in their recruitment procedure. This is because some government departments/agencies require their documents to be translated by American citizens only. Their language service contractors (usually those located in the DC area) have no choice but request their linguists to submit the scanned copy of their US passports to prove their citizenship.

A linguist must submit the scanned copy of his or her US passport if he or she wants to work with these agency clients.

[Edited at 2018-05-07 23:30 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
A new* Euro data protection reform? May 8, 2018

Have you ever heard about an agency representative's scanned passport copy or a client's one?

I wouldn't care a dime, unless it's a serious project with all the credentials notarized and apostillized.

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What?! Heck no May 15, 2018

This never was and never will be a normal or common practice. Just blatant identity theft attempt.

Run as fast as you can !

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Absolutely correct May 16, 2018

jyuan_us wrote:

Recently I have several agency clients who requested me to submit a scanned copy of my US passport. I hesitated to provide it at first but later on I realized that for these agency clients, having the scanned copy of the linguist's US passport is mandatory in their recruitment procedure. This is because some government departments/agencies require their documents to be translated by American citizens only. Their language service contractors (usually those located in the DC area) have no choice but request their linguists to submit the scanned copy of their US passports to prove their citizenship.

A linguist must submit the scanned copy of his or her US passport if he or she wants to work with these agency clients.

If you want to translate for US government agencies (DHS; DoD,DOJ, FBI etc) you must send a scanned copy of your US passport.

[Edited at 2018-05-16 00:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-16 00:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-16 00:40 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I consider your post as an expert testimony on the issue May 16, 2018

liviu roth wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

If you want to translate for US government agencies (DHS; DoD,DOJ, FBI etc) you must send a scanned copy of your US passport.

[Edited at 2018-05-16 00:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-16 00:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-16 00:40 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not always so May 16, 2018

Lian Pang wrote:

This never was and never will be a normal or common practice. Just blatant identity theft attempt.

Run as fast as you can !

Some of the best US based clients do require it.

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
And May 16, 2018

jyuan_us wrote:

Lian Pang wrote:

Run as fast as you can !

Some of the best US based clients do require it.

Companies in some countries require this and other documents so they can prove to their governments that these people they are paying are nationals from other countries who reside abroad.

Let's face it, sometimes we are asked to provide information we don't feel comfortable with. For instance, how do you prove you're a native speaker like you claim you are?

It's up to each of us to do our due diligence and consider who is making the request and what the benefits would be in complying with it. Big international company with lots of work? Probably OK. Major government agency? Probably OK. Dodgy dude online with a gmail address? Probably not.

Sharon James
Sharon James
Australia
Not to provide May 16, 2018

Its good that you are not providing the passport information. I have never seen any company asking for this information. So weather you are working with a private company, translation agency or doing work freelancer, this should be taken care by everyone.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a scan of my passport needed for potential collaboration

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »