https://www.proz.com/forum/bosnian/31422-working_in_sarajevo_how.html&phpv_redirected=1

Working in Sarajevo. How?
Thread poster: Daniele Rinaldi
Daniele Rinaldi
Daniele Rinaldi
Local time: 08:45
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 18, 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm Italian, 32 y.o., and I'm a teacher of English, German and Spanish in my own country (students aged 11 to 20). I graduated and have experience as translator from/into the above languages as well as Russian and French. I have a basic knowledge of Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian.

I would like to move to Sarajevo. Can anyone suggest any reliable translation agencies I may contact considering that I couldn't translate from/into the local languages (at least for th
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm Italian, 32 y.o., and I'm a teacher of English, German and Spanish in my own country (students aged 11 to 20). I graduated and have experience as translator from/into the above languages as well as Russian and French. I have a basic knowledge of Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian.

I would like to move to Sarajevo. Can anyone suggest any reliable translation agencies I may contact considering that I couldn't translate from/into the local languages (at least for the moment)? Are there any special pre-requisites/degrees/certificates that (foreign) translators need to have in order to apply for a job?

Thank you in advance for your attention,

Daniele
Collapse

Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ
Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ  Identity Verified
Belgium
Bosnian to French
+ ...
good luck Apr 18, 2005

Daniele Rinaldi wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would like to move to Sarajevo. Can anyone suggest any reliable translation agencies I may contact considering that I couldn't translate from/into the local languages (at least for the moment)? Are there any special pre-requisites/degrees/certificates that (foreign) translators need to have in order to apply for a job?

Thank you in advance for your attention,

Daniele

Hello Daniela,

Unfortunatelly I cannot help you since I live in Belgium, but maybe it would be easier if you tell us if you intend to move on your own or with someone from there? I am asking this, because if you want to apply for a job it should be done in Bosnian, and unless you don't know someone from there who could help you to apply in Bosnian, it would be very hard to find a job. I don't want to sound negative, but if you intend to work as a teacher, you might be disappointed by the current wages. So I would suggest you to contact some foreign organizations in Bosnia and try to find a job there.

Of course, all degrees, certificates, etc are always helpful, so bring at least a formal copy of all documents you have.

I hope some of Bosnian translators living in Bosnia will provide you all the information you need.

Good luck, and if you go to Sarajevo, don't forget to go to Bas Carsija and eat some cevapcici (little kebabs) in a special, round, flat, tasty and yummy bread.

Almir Comor MITI
Almir Comor MITI  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Translation agencies... Apr 18, 2005

Hi Daniele,

I'm not sure if I undestood you correctly, but I don't think you'll be able to find any translation agencies in Sarajevo (if that's what you were interested in). Most of the translation work is done in house. There is a number of international organizations that have offices in Sarajevo (quite large offices in some cases) and there's really a high demand for translation skills. These offices also employ a large number of international officers. So you might want to check
... See more
Hi Daniele,

I'm not sure if I undestood you correctly, but I don't think you'll be able to find any translation agencies in Sarajevo (if that's what you were interested in). Most of the translation work is done in house. There is a number of international organizations that have offices in Sarajevo (quite large offices in some cases) and there's really a high demand for translation skills. These offices also employ a large number of international officers. So you might want to check a few intersting websites. There should be a few vacancies open at the moment for administrative and other positions (including translation) in these organizations, and you can apply as an international.
To apply for such positions, you will most often need a relavant degree and some experience. I'm sure it's worth a try.

Here are a few websites:

http://www.ohr.int/
(Office of the High Representative and EU Special Representative)

http://www.oscebih.org/oscebih_eng.asp
(OSCE Mission to BiH)

http://www.eupm.org/
(European Union Police Mission)

Good luck,
Almir, Sarajevo BiH

[Edited at 2005-04-18 22:00]
Collapse

Daniele Rinaldi
Daniele Rinaldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation agencies Apr 19, 2005

What I meant is that I'm basically looking for a job as a translator or language teacher in Sarajevo.

Are you sure that there aren't any Sarajevo-based translation agencies (either locally or internationally owned) that would hire foreign translators living in Sarajevo?

Thanks again,

Daniele

Natasa Grubor
Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
Work in Sarajevo Apr 19, 2005

I suggest you to check schools of foreign languages. There are lot of them, and for the beginning you could work as teacher or assistant. They often work as translation agencies. Anyway it is good for initial contact.

http://www.sus.ba/kursevi.htm
www.soros-school.com

Good luck

Daniele Rinaldi
Daniele Rinaldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 22, 2005

Thank you all for your suggestions,

Daniele

Sanjin Bilalagic
Sanjin Bilalagic
United States
Local time: 02:45
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Job in Sarajevo Jun 10, 2006

Daniele, you may want to check this web site out. It has plenty of job offers in Bosnia.
www.posao.ba

Sanjin

pmpregled
pmpregled
English
Job in Sarajevo Nov 16, 2006

Also check www.posaomarket.net

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Working in Sarajevo. How?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »