How good is Trados if it is compared with WordFast Pro?
Thread poster: Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:58
English to Bengali
+ ...
Aug 3, 2012

Hi Friends,

I have been using Wordfast for translating large texts. Recently I applied for a job that asked for having experience in Trados. I did not have Trados but I applied for that. Finally, when I was offered the job and I used WardFast Pro only for doing the job. I found no problem working with that.

Now, I am interested to know if Trados is truly a better CAT tool. Can any of our Bengali/Hindi translating friends give me some better idea about that?

Pinaki Talukdar
Pinaki Talukdar  Identity Verified
India
English to Bengali
+ ...
Trados vs Wordfast Nov 28, 2012

I use both Wordfast Pro and Trados 2011 studio regularly. In theory I find no difference between them. But considering practically WORDFAST Pro is better because:

1. Quick to open, manage and work with. Uses much less system resources than TRADOS.

2. Cheaper

3. Uncomplicated software and can be learnt within 1 hour.

4. Conversion back to translated file quicker and more correct than TRADOS

5. More customizable than TRADOS
... See more
I use both Wordfast Pro and Trados 2011 studio regularly. In theory I find no difference between them. But considering practically WORDFAST Pro is better because:

1. Quick to open, manage and work with. Uses much less system resources than TRADOS.

2. Cheaper

3. Uncomplicated software and can be learnt within 1 hour.

4. Conversion back to translated file quicker and more correct than TRADOS

5. More customizable than TRADOS

However TRDOS beats WORDFAST in one count, Trados has bigger acceptance and can handle more diverse and complex file types than Wordfast. But WF is catching up.

A FUN Fact: WORDFAST works in Windiws, Mac OS X and Linux. So using wordfast you do not have to have Windows (like trados which uses windows' native dlls).

I use and work regularly with WORDFAST in my linux machine.
I really cannot stand windows and its gaping security holes.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Pinaki Talukdar
Collapse

Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar  Identity Verified
India
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 19, 2015

Dear Pinaki
Your reply was revealing and very satisfying. I am also fond of linux. My WardFast is only a demo version. That possibly is the reason why I fail to work with all types of formats.
With best wishes
Sumit1970

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How good is Trados if it is compared with WordFast Pro?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »