Anna Konar
Anna Konar  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2010

Dear colleagues,

One of my clients proposed me to write a textbook/handbook/manual for Bengali language learners. Something like "Teach yourself Bengali", but in Russian language. The book will be published in Russia. I would like to use some fragments of Indian writers' works in this t
... See more
Dear colleagues,

One of my clients proposed me to write a textbook/handbook/manual for Bengali language learners. Something like "Teach yourself Bengali", but in Russian language. The book will be published in Russia. I would like to use some fragments of Indian writers' works in this textbook. But I'm not sure if it is legal. Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_copyright_law it is said that duration of copyright for literary is sixty years from the beginning of the calendar year next following the year in which the author dies. Is that mean I can use any of Indian authors' work if the author died over 60 years ago?

Can you please advise me Bengali authors who died over 60 years ago and who wrote in a simple manner and in colloquial language. May be some short stories for children, some simple poetry etc.

Thank you
Collapse

Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:30
English to Bengali
+ ...
Why not try RN Tegore? Nov 30, 2010

Hi Anna,

It came into my as quickly as reading your apeal. Again, it was so abvious a choice that I even feel hesitant in suggesting the name. In fact, RN Tagore did some excellent job keeping in mind teaching Bengali language to the little children. In 'সহজ পাঠ' series, u will find many such simple and useful text portions for your use. And of course he died more than 60 yrs ago.

Sumit1970

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Indian copyright law

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »