Thread poster: LucyPatterso (X)
MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 07:00
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
don't panick Feb 14, 2008

At ~ the same time last year I even checked if all is OK with my email I use to get some 100 emails per day and there were 2 days without a SINGLE email in the inbox folder. After a couple of days emails started popping in and after some time there was such a boost, that it was even difficult to figure out who ordered what. I think it is a typical slow-down period after the New Year and pre-/after-Christmas peak. I am sure that yo... See more
At ~ the same time last year I even checked if all is OK with my email I use to get some 100 emails per day and there were 2 days without a SINGLE email in the inbox folder. After a couple of days emails started popping in and after some time there was such a boost, that it was even difficult to figure out who ordered what. I think it is a typical slow-down period after the New Year and pre-/after-Christmas peak. I am sure that your clients (and their end clients) are now preparing new materials for new models of equipment, product updates, let alone there will be the end of financial year (all those reports, presentations, results), and so on. I'd relax, would take the possibility to have some rest and would prepare the "fortifications" for the most massive "job attack" that also lasts longest - till the summer holidays.Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
February Dry Patches Feb 15, 2008

Here in Brazil the same applies, January and February are generally bad months for translators because everything stops for the world-famous Carnival - a spectacle to watch and a great tourist event, but wreaks havoc on business in general. In Bahia the situation is even worse, because samba takes up most of the year.

In general, as mentioned, there is no general rule about frequency of translations, there seem to be cycles and, apart from the Carnival period as mentioned here, ther
... See more
Here in Brazil the same applies, January and February are generally bad months for translators because everything stops for the world-famous Carnival - a spectacle to watch and a great tourist event, but wreaks havoc on business in general. In Bahia the situation is even worse, because samba takes up most of the year.

In general, as mentioned, there is no general rule about frequency of translations, there seem to be cycles and, apart from the Carnival period as mentioned here, there is no specific pattern. You just have to hope for the best, then out of the blue someone comes up with a new assignment.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Work drying up

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »