Definition of an agency
Thread poster: williamson (X)
williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 00:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2002

How would you define an agency? Is a translator who outsources translations to other colleagues also an agency?

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 18:32
German to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 2, 2002

That\'s why \"outsourcer\" is the best term to use: it covers both.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why define...? Jan 2, 2002

Hi, and Happy New Year!

I guess the real question is why you want to make a dinstinction in the first place... I guess this will give you a good lead as to where you would need to \"draw the line\" (if at all).

If you check my profile, you will see me listed as an agency. Having said that, I translate some jobs myself (=freelancer?), whilst I organise project-specific teams to work on larger jobs (=agency?). My definition is being a \"virtual company\",
... See more
Hi, and Happy New Year!

I guess the real question is why you want to make a dinstinction in the first place... I guess this will give you a good lead as to where you would need to \"draw the line\" (if at all).

If you check my profile, you will see me listed as an agency. Having said that, I translate some jobs myself (=freelancer?), whilst I organise project-specific teams to work on larger jobs (=agency?). My definition is being a \"virtual company\", given the fact that teams for larger jobs are typically spread across three time zones, but then, even this term would probably get scrutinised in any discussion.

To cut a long story short: the definition really depends on what you see behind it.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 23:32
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Ralf: you are a translation company (incorporated or not) Jan 2, 2002

In the UK, the distinction is between an agency that subcontracts ALL the work it gets from end-clients, and a company that does at least a respectable part of it in-house.
[addsig]

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Draw the line Jan 3, 2002

Just asking because a while ago somebody used terms like \"you \'defraud\' your clients\" if you offers services, you yourself are not able to provide. No, I do not speak Chinese, but I know a bilingual Chinese (mother-tongue Chinese, but brought
... See more

Just asking because a while ago somebody used terms like \"you \'defraud\' your clients\" if you offers services, you yourself are not able to provide. No, I do not speak Chinese, but I know a bilingual Chinese (mother-tongue Chinese, but brought up and living in France since she was 10, now she is 24 y.o.). I have already asked her if she wanted to make translations? If I sent a translation from French>Chinese to Peking, does that makes me a \"fraudster\"? After all, the customer does not care \"who\" makes the translation. (S)he wants a readable quality product and it does not matter to him/her who produced that product.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Definition of an agency

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »