Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: more projects and more troubles....
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 13:26
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
now back to the top - what about your holidays, Brandis? Jan 27, 2008

Note Trados can turn into a hard-to-kick addiction (*) - I suspect T in ATF stands for it.

Regards

Vito

EDIT: * - and they keep changing the active substance (version 6.5, 7.1, 7.5 and now the latest), probably to evade legislation...

[Edited at 2008-01-27 08:32]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados makes you a great translator... Jan 27, 2008

Textklick wrote:

Why is it that so many of these threads mysteriously drift off course and become Trados moans?

I'm baffled

is that true?. Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well well... Jan 27, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

Note Trados can turn into a hard-to-kick addiction (*) - I suspect T in ATF stands for it.

Regards

Vito

EDIT: * - and they keep changing the active substance (version 6.5, 7.1, 7.5 and now the latest), probably to evade legislation...

Considering this aspect and the abilty, our group is now suggesting to go for other CAT tools as well, including DTP techniques. I am sure there are many out there that would like to consolidate translation, DTP and a CAT tool into one subject. My holiday will come when the first prototype book is out. Brandis

[Edited at 2008-01-27 09:20]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wow this is some statistics... Jan 27, 2008

I am baffled. about almost 2400 visitors to this thread and 32 most prominent prozians contributing actively and passively. This is a record I have not seen in ages. Apparently trados is a burning point, so why not just do it. In the evening after consulting my team that has been and collaborative and helpful all along over 22 years of translatorship and 25 years of creative work into documentation and publishing, we shall post more about the offing. Brandis / Gundula/ Martin/ Köning/ Elena / S... See more
I am baffled. about almost 2400 visitors to this thread and 32 most prominent prozians contributing actively and passively. This is a record I have not seen in ages. Apparently trados is a burning point, so why not just do it. In the evening after consulting my team that has been and collaborative and helpful all along over 22 years of translatorship and 25 years of creative work into documentation and publishing, we shall post more about the offing. Brandis / Gundula/ Martin/ Köning/ Elena / Stergius/ Ivonava / Gautam and the youngest Jörg fom Goteborg, ( very ambitious) and Joachim Dietrich who has just now shifted to england and contributing his to our effforts from his education (Masters in european linguistic) and from all of my older and newer team members.

[Edited at 2008-01-27 11:43]

[Edited at 2008-01-27 12:36]

[Edited at 2008-01-27 13:28]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you .. Jan 27, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

is it me, or is this the most surreal forum thread to hit ProZ in a while?

Makes me think I am probably not a member of the secret society who uses the code language used in this thread. I am amazed at the number of things I don't understand here, while others seem to understand very well...

Now, Brandis, the best thing you can do is basically what Amy says. However, I somehow get the feeling that your clients ask you to work again on things you have already finished. It seems they either twist your arm into helping them more, at no cost maybe, and you miss out on stuff because of this - or you are simply taking on too much work and you don't have the kind of capacities you think you have.

Make sure that when it says "deadline this Monday" on the calendar, that you really do send off everything to the client and invoice them while you're at it (usually, an invoice makes the end of work official - it means you have done everything you agreed to do and you are done with the project). Make sure EVERYTHING you had to do is done, and well done, so your client doesn't need to contact you again until they have new work for you. You have to learn the meaning of the word "finished", and use that word, and give yourself plenty of occasions to use it.

All the best!
vctoria I think that is a great offer. I shall all the work on mondays to you. That will atleast balance something for us both. Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you .. Jan 27, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

is it me, or is this the most surreal forum thread to hit ProZ in a while?

Makes me think I am probably not a member of the secret society who uses the code language used in this thread. I am amazed at the number of things I don't understand here, while others seem to understand very well...

Now, Brandis, the best thing you can do is basically what Amy says. However, I somehow get the feeling that your clients ask you to work again on things you have already finished. It seems they either twist your arm into helping them more, at no cost maybe, and you miss out on stuff because of this - or you are simply taking on too much work and you don't have the kind of capacities you think you have.

Make sure that when it says "deadline this Monday" on the calendar, that you really do send off everything to the client and invoice them while you're at it (usually, an invoice makes the end of work official - it means you have done everything you agreed to do and you are done with the project). Make sure EVERYTHING you had to do is done, and well done, so your client doesn't need to contact you again until they have new work for you. You have to learn the meaning of the word "finished", and use that word, and give yourself plenty of occasions to use it.

All the best!
vctoria I think that is a great offer. I shall send all the due on Monday work to you. That will atleast balance something for us both. Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still hard to assess... Jan 27, 2008

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Looks like you'll have plenty of work in the future if Trados continues to launch a new version every year. Judging by the number of Trados posts by Proz members, such a book will be a big hit. How much do you reckon you'll charge for it?

[Edited at 2008-01-26 15:55]
A book and or book + one video with 3 interactive sessions or a setup session. We have compared our work with that of trados documents issued originally, to ascertain we are concise and very compact reaching the goal. Any starter can start and get going. That is the thin principle of the design. More elaboration may follow in the later editions. But we have to have resonance to this effect, else everything will remain a consumer behavior. Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just checking... Jan 27, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

Regards

Vito

I went to the trados website just now and noted a range of newer labelled products, of which for example I have no idea. All these synergy and others, who would need them all? Is it not enough to know the workins of a freelancer, professional. lsp, and a TM server, then may be sdlx lite and sdlx big etc., surely there are many other tools out there, like Déjà vu, Catalyst, etc., I am closing for now ,tomorrow i have a big appointment with a new customer on a long term project in pharma. Wish me good luck Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the beaches are coming nearer now... Jan 28, 2008

The prototype book is going out in 2 weeks into india, the next composition is getting out in 12 weeks with some extented works. The initial book is priced at Euro 25,-, so that all that buy in this zone enjoy the extended books reduced pricing which is marginal. The book will not contain a video, comes extra just like the advanced editions and there is no trial edition for a probe. The jury has decided. You can reserve now within india, infact we are seeking remarkerts in other countries. Bran... See more
The prototype book is going out in 2 weeks into india, the next composition is getting out in 12 weeks with some extented works. The initial book is priced at Euro 25,-, so that all that buy in this zone enjoy the extended books reduced pricing which is marginal. The book will not contain a video, comes extra just like the advanced editions and there is no trial edition for a probe. The jury has decided. You can reserve now within india, infact we are seeking remarkerts in other countries. BrandisCollapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In our assessment.. Jan 29, 2008

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Hi Brandis,
How are you going to distribute your book? Do you have a publisher lined up or are you going to print, bind and mail copies yourself? I presume even password-protected PDFs are too dodgy. Which languages is it going to be published in?

BTW, I've been wondering, what is "for a shore"?
Brandis wrote:
each time when I wish to take a 2 week off for a shore

Cheers,
Jill

[Edited at 2008-01-26 13:43]
the indian market has a little over 25000 translating poplulation. We have now printed and the distribution will take of the rest. The initial size is 25000 books as a matter of initial launch size. The extended works will be made available once we see that the acid test works with the market. Brandis

[Edited at 2008-01-29 16:17]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We called the book.. Jan 30, 2008

Trados for hungry minds. Brandis

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
What a silly question! Feb 1, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

There is so much Trados support out there already, what makes this book so special?

It will be the most intelligible, of course.

Happy spacewalking and a good weekend to all...

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:26
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Registered Trademark Feb 2, 2008

Brandis wrote:
Trados for hungry minds. Brandis

Hungry Minds is a trademark of Hungry Minds. Inc.

Gianfranco

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

more projects and more troubles....

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »