Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What do they mean by \"sworn\" translation?
Thread poster: Mary Watson
Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 03:29
Romanian to English
+ ...
use your imagination ... Apr 8, 2014

I am not a notary, but at least in some states you cannot notarize documents for family. [/quote]

If the wife kept her maiden name or has a different name, who will find out that they

are family? Who is going to do an in-depth research to prove that? Where is the

practical benefit? )))))))

... or do what Jose Henrique suggested (hilarious- I love it!)

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
Local time: 08:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Broadly speaking in Argentina... Jul 23, 2014

in some provinces, legal translators have to enroll in a translator's association. One of the requisites to join is a public/sworn/certified translation degree issued by either a public or a private university. By being part of this association, translators can certify any type of translation. Translators who aren't part of this association or with a literary or scientific translation degree cannot certify any document.

There are some provinces which do not have this professional t
... See more
in some provinces, legal translators have to enroll in a translator's association. One of the requisites to join is a public/sworn/certified translation degree issued by either a public or a private university. By being part of this association, translators can certify any type of translation. Translators who aren't part of this association or with a literary or scientific translation degree cannot certify any document.

There are some provinces which do not have this professional translators' associations. In this case, translators have to contact their province courts of justice to be able to certify any document but again you need to have a public/sworn/certified translation degree.
Collapse

Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 02:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
A notary can notarize anyone's documents Aug 19, 2014

Jenn Mercer wrote:

lee roth wrote:

I think that the scenario is the other way: translator Joe Smith works also as a notary. It is illegal (conflict of interest) for him to notarize his own translation, but ... his wife can get a notary stamp & seal and notarize Joe's translations. )))))

I am not a notary, but at least in some states you cannot notarize documents for family.

I can't speak for all states, but as a New York State notary public myself I can tell you for a fact that I can notarize anyone's document and that includes my spouse, children or any other family member's document. My responsibility as a notary is to make the person swear an oath that the documents are true and correct and check their identity. That's it.

[Edited at 2014-08-19 03:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-19 03:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-19 03:48 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do they mean by \"sworn\" translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »