How worthwhile is professional indemnity insurance?
Thread poster: Anne Lee
Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:28
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2003

Professional indemnity insurance, even with the discount of the Institute of Linguists, is still quite expensive, with a huge amount of excess to pay. I write on my quotes that my liability is restricted to a maximum of the sum quoted. Could I have some feed-back on how other free-lancers deal with the insurance issue?

Joanna Mimmack (X)
Joanna Mimmack (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
Translation disclaimer Jan 28, 2003

I add the following disclaimer suggested by G.Samuelsson-Brown in \'A Practical Guide for Translators\':

\'Although due care and attention has been given to this translation it should not be considered a legal document and the original language document takes precedence in any dispute over interpretation.\'
[addsig]

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:28
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not worthwhile Jan 28, 2003

Dear Anne,

This has been discussed several times and I am one of the staunch proponents of a very simple principle:

The translator translates.

The agency (or client) proof-reads.

The client takes full responsibility of what he publishes or hands over.

Period!

In discussions about possible errors in translation the maximum penalty can be the fee only.

Period!

This is not sha
... See more
Dear Anne,

This has been discussed several times and I am one of the staunch proponents of a very simple principle:

The translator translates.

The agency (or client) proof-reads.

The client takes full responsibility of what he publishes or hands over.

Period!

In discussions about possible errors in translation the maximum penalty can be the fee only.

Period!

This is not shared by some corporations but we do not have to accept it nevertheless.

A possible disclaimer could be:

\'Although due care and attention has been given to this translation I will not become the object of any legal proceedings based on the effects of the contents of my translation\'

To be added: On my seventh year translating professionally:

1. I have not had any discussion with any client about this matter at all.

Only three silly agencies have put so-called \"standard contracts\" with indemnity clauses in front of me. I have rejected them all and kept one agency with which I still work.

2. I have never heard of anyone in real life needing it, and although challenged to tell us (and members of several other lists) nobody ever produced any evidence.

3. Even those who have bought one have not reported any use. On the contrary: They have ceased to pay for it.

It all seems rather theoretical (based on very uninformed theory at that).

So, especially with a disclaimer, I think you can sleep well o\'night.

Best regards

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail: [email protected]

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-28 15:53]
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for the good advice! Jan 28, 2003

Relieved to read these messages. Many thanks!

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Disclaimers Jan 28, 2003

I agree with Matt 100%. I have been translating for 20 years now and I have never had a need of one.

Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
English to French
+ ...
I had to get one Jan 29, 2003

I bid recently for a public contract in France and was requested to provide professional insurance certificate as a translator. Otherwise they would not accept me as a candidate (I did and got the market, by the way !)

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Finnish to English
Not worth it Jan 29, 2003

1. I agree with these comments. I have never heard of any translator needing it. And, who, legally, is liable for using the translation - the end client, the agency or the translator?

2. I am a bit worried about disclaimers when working for agencies, however.

3. Another thing. If the translation is for publication the translator should always be informed anyway, as the translation decisions themselves might differ.

cheers

Spencer

Clive Wilshin
Clive Wilshin  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Thank you, everyone Apr 7, 2005

I found this thread most helpful. Excellent advice, thanks to all concerned.

Clive

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How worthwhile is professional indemnity insurance?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »