Is it the mighty translator time? (MT coming, from any language to another in seconds)?
Thread poster: emhassan
emhassan
emhassan  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:45
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 16, 2007

Mighty translator:
I was thinking a lot actually before writing such an article but I will just agree with you that this is (a free writing no punctuation in here)
So just follow the ideas and let’s see if I could tell a nice story to you.
As u have seen from the address it is about the (mighty translator)
I remember when I was a child (and I am 30 now) that we were in Egypt (the computer and its idea) was very huge
Remembering also in high school time 91-92.i was
... See more
Mighty translator:
I was thinking a lot actually before writing such an article but I will just agree with you that this is (a free writing no punctuation in here)
So just follow the ideas and let’s see if I could tell a nice story to you.
As u have seen from the address it is about the (mighty translator)
I remember when I was a child (and I am 30 now) that we were in Egypt (the computer and its idea) was very huge
Remembering also in high school time 91-92.i was talking with a friend about a new 1 gigabyte hard disk and we were
Wondering how they could do that? That was a Miracle that time.
(Dark days we lived ….right) anyway, (it wasn’t of course last thing that time but that was what we heard).
Also remember that the programs are getting much easier that it doesn’t need anymore that genius eyeglasses guy to control a computer.
Now a small child can very easily go to the net, chat, chat in voice may be also buying some stuff.
Even hacking nowadays doesn’t need that experience while it came so easy.
While I was walking today I was wondering what we are doing to ourselves with the technology.
Will the day come soon that we humans look around and say (oh god ….. what I have done?).
Are we really benefitting from it right now while for example I bought my laptop three months ago and I feel already it is old tech?
The technology is jumping in an awful way nowadays that I really find it difficult to follow (and you don’t know how crazy I am?).
But the main idea in here “concerning us” that while we are all working now so fast in the translating all kind of texts and words.
Didn’t u get the feeling that this (new mighty watcher (Google)) is really getting the sense of thinking?
They have been developing now intelligent computers already and their minds are learning & growing now while you are reading this.
Now just let’s combine the formula again please of what is already here (super computer + mega memories + huge translation works + artificial intelligence)
Did you get the idea???? Try to guess before you read next line please!!!
That will result in a (mighty translator) which can translate almost and mostly any and everything from any language to another in a matter of seconds.
Someone now will come and say what about the structure and the sense of the sentences????
I say you are right (but give Google now a wrong sentence of three words or two and look what he is saying to you???
It will be of course nice while you pass by a computer in the office which is connected to the net and then you just put the microphone, talk to a Chinese guy on the other side of the world and your voice gets to him in his own language.
And that goes for all of other languages.
But whom do you think will hire a freelancer or translator after that???
Think of it that way:
1-You have a machine does the job in few seconds with not even one chance of making a mistake day or night
Doesn’t eat doesn’t get sick doesn’t have rights.
2-you have a fat guy sitting on his chair and have five days of work with working range of 8 hours a day with vacations with sickness.
What would you choose if you were the owner of a job??????
I wonder when (in this future) china will produce (as Chinese now does it all) give you a small machine like a watch in size that does it all….. . that was the start of my thought………. .
Please give me your opinions I would like to make a search about that and I would like to take all your opinions
Thanks and see you

[Edited at 2007-07-16 19:26]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-16 19:34]
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:45
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moved the topic... Jul 16, 2007

...to the forum Being Independent, since the Off Topic forum is for discussions not related to translation.

Best regards,
Özden

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hm. Jul 16, 2007

In a way, you answered your own question.

A good old typewriter and a good old brain would never have allowed you to write lines with 117 characters, which is a nuisance.

I am not quite sure about the translator / machine-thing here as you deprive us of punctuation and rendered your own text impossible to read.

Computers are dumb tools. You can put them to use as you wish.

Mine is capable of formatting text, which is a polite way to say: He
... See more

A good old typewriter and a good old brain would never have allowed you to write lines with 117 characters, which is a nuisance.

I am not quite sure about the translator / machine-thing here as you deprive us of punctuation and rendered your own text impossible to read.

Mine is capable of formatting text, which is a polite way to say: Hello, please read my text and I won't hurt your eyes!

[Edited at 2007-07-16 22:57]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:45
English to German
+ ...
Take Valerian Jul 17, 2007

..it helps to prevent nightmares..

As long as the immense gap between the natural sciences and the humanities won't be bridged, computers won't be able to see, think, or translate.

I am confident that this will take at least 100 additional years.

And as soon as we will have created this super brain, it will be able to tell us how we can earn more money for less work, without getting too fat..
... See more
..it helps to prevent nightmares..

As long as the immense gap between the natural sciences and the humanities won't be bridged, computers won't be able to see, think, or translate.

And as soon as we will have created this super brain, it will be able to tell us how we can earn more money for less work, without getting too fat..

[Edited at 2007-07-17 06:58]
Collapse

Iwona Szymaniak
Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I agree with Nicole Jul 17, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Mine is capable of formatting text, which is a polite way to say: Hello, please read my text and I won't hurt your eyes!

[Edited at 2007-07-16 22:57]

I tried to read your post. We had a similar discussion on our Polish forum not long and I was just curious to learn what people around the world think about it.
But I did not finish reading your message. I really cannot get through it, yes, through it, because it is like dense bush.
I got tired after a few lines without getting a clue of where you were coming from and heading to.

Cheers,

Iwona

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:45
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Life's just a computer game Jul 17, 2007

Harry Bornemann wrote:

At this point, however, there won't be much left for us to do, I imagine. Computers will do the work and tell each other who does what work, they will fight each other in wars and talk to each other. We won't be needed and will either have to...

- record the highscore and start again from the beginning,
- sit in the sun and do nothing until a sequel comes out,
- quietly leave this planet and find something else to play with.

That is, if we don't reach the 'GAME OVER' point before having created this 'super brain'.

Anyway, until then I will just enjoy life and be glad that I have found a profession for myself which I enjoy a lot.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language heroes Jul 17, 2007

Hi,

Your use of the expression "mighty translator" just reminded me of the profile of a fellow Prozian translator, which I noticed was featured yesterday on the home page.

His nickname, or rather, his marketing name is "Languageman".

As you will see here, http://www.proz.com/pro/105089 , his motto is "on a mission to save the word".

I think as long as we
... See more
Hi,

Your use of the expression "mighty translator" just reminded me of the profile of a fellow Prozian translator, which I noticed was featured yesterday on the home page.

His nickname, or rather, his marketing name is "Languageman".

As you will see here, http://www.proz.com/pro/105089 , his motto is "on a mission to save the word".

I think as long as we have languagemen/language-people or language heroes in this world, we can relax for the time being about translation machines taking over our jobs.

But I also agree with Harry Bornemann: it helps to take valerian to relax if you have nightmares about this. For example, in my case, my normal allergy pills always make me a bit sleepy, so I take one every now and then when I feel restless about a deadline...

Best,

Ivette
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it the mighty translator time? (MT coming, from any language to another in seconds)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »