Thread poster: Claire Titchmarsh (X)
Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 19:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
Would love to have this 'problem' Apr 4, 2007

Maybe it helps to see this from a different perspective, I still have occasional days without work when I would love to have agencies asking me even to do unprofitable work
So it really is a luxury problem, which I hope to have sometime but I do understand that I can be difficult.

Claire Titchmarsh (X)
Claire Titchmarsh (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:18
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already have phone number screening Apr 4, 2007

...but then the PMs phone on their mobiles which are not stored in my VoiSpeed memory.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, especially Jennifer's point about having to be the one who puts a value on my time. This is so true but easier said than done. But following the opening of this thread I have already raised my rates by 30% with the main low-rate "culprit" who is also the one that sends me most of the short fiddly jobs. I'm confident that they won't pay this rate but if the
... See more
...but then the PMs phone on their mobiles which are not stored in my VoiSpeed memory.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, especially Jennifer's point about having to be the one who puts a value on my time. This is so true but easier said than done. But following the opening of this thread I have already raised my rates by 30% with the main low-rate "culprit" who is also the one that sends me most of the short fiddly jobs. I'm confident that they won't pay this rate but if they do, then doing the fiddly jobs as well will be more than worth my while
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:18
Cut them loose Apr 4, 2007

I used to get LOADS of requests for one-liners, short phrases etc into Gaelic.

It was a devil trying to get paid for them, if I ever got paid for them at all. I refuse to do them now. I don't care, because they are more hassle than they are worth.

I still get the occasional teenager who wants some hardcore tatoo, but it is not my fault if they cannot read "I do not reply to requests for tatoos, one-liners, short phrases etc. from English into Irish Gaelic. Please go
... See more
I used to get LOADS of requests for one-liners, short phrases etc into Gaelic.

It was a devil trying to get paid for them, if I ever got paid for them at all. I refuse to do them now. I don't care, because they are more hassle than they are worth.

I still get the occasional teenager who wants some hardcore tatoo, but it is not my fault if they cannot read "I do not reply to requests for tatoos, one-liners, short phrases etc. from English into Irish Gaelic. Please go to this forum instead." in bold red writing.

Let's see how much they value you once you apply your new pricing scheme - good luck
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:18
risk Apr 4, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Maybe it helps to see this from a different perspective, I still have occasional days without work when I would love to have agencies asking me even to do unprofitable work

I understand what you mean, but the problem with unprofitable work is the fact that you run the risk of customers taking advantage of you and who wants that?

Orla

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:18
English to Russian
+ ...
say no Apr 16, 2007

Sonia Hill wrote:

... I have one agency who has been contacting me regularly and doesn't even say thank you! ...

Perhaps they think you like it, otherwise you would have said No to them?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Managing unprofitable work

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »