Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
The translation business is the best!
Thread poster: SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Local time: 02:30
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2001

The translation business is the best one in the world. You don\'t think? Ok, look at these advantages:

1. The simplicity. The client contacts you and you\'re doing the translation job from home. Then you make a pdf-invoice that you send the client as an e-mail attachment, and the client PAYS you.

2. You can do this job anywhere in the world. Either you bring your laptop or goes to an internet café, you can easily check your e-mail and handle your busine
... See more
The translation business is the best one in the world. You don\'t think? Ok, look at these advantages:

1. The simplicity. The client contacts you and you\'re doing the translation job from home. Then you make a pdf-invoice that you send the client as an e-mail attachment, and the client PAYS you.

2. You can do this job anywhere in the world. Either you bring your laptop or goes to an internet café, you can easily check your e-mail and handle your business from there. When invoicing, you just ask the client to insert the money to your bank account, and then you can extract the money from any cashpoint in the world with your VISA.

3. Independency. You don\'t have a boss looking over your neck. Ok, you have your angry client, but it\'s not nearly the same.

4. Freedom. You don\'t have to get up early in the morning to meet your boring workmates. Instead you\'re going up exactly when you want, makes some tea, put some music on, and check your e-mail for incoming jobs. I love it!

5. Money. It\'s well paid. Not for everybody. You have to have good clients. If you have, you\'re lucky and don\'t necessary have to work that much.

6. Interesting calls. People from anywhere in the world contacts you and speaks with different english accents and dialects. Maybe the translation trade is a lonely one, but this is one thing that makes it worth it.

Do you now understand why I love this business? I\'m going to India soon for three months and I\'m of course gonna handle my translation projects from there. Translation rules!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-28 05:42 ]
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 06:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Better still Nov 28, 2001

Mattias,

Better than an agency, it is much more exciting and profitable to run a site like PROZ.COM.and have perfect satisfaction.

Alexander Medved
Alexander Medved
Ukraine
Local time: 03:30
English to Russian
+ ...
proz stinks Nov 28, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-28 06:16, telef wrote:

Mattias,

Better than an agency, it is much more exciting and profitable to run a site like PROZ.COM.and have perfect satisfaction.

Mattias, I woke up this morning with another hope that somebody sends me a translation via proz. I opened my box and as usually I saw a big fat zero in there. It was like the same yesterday, the day before yesterday the day b... See more
Quote:

Mattias,

Mattias, I woke up this morning with another hope that somebody sends me a translation via proz. I opened my box and as usually I saw a big fat zero in there. It was like the same yesterday, the day before yesterday the day before before before etc. So, me, with my skills and experience have to work for bullsh… (do I have to decipher?) here in this country. I guess, it is the same elsewhere worldwide. The buyers are so eager to get the best translation on time and for nothing, negotiating and bargaining every kopeika (or cent or penny or whatever). I believe you are lucky with your customers and I wish you the best. I have never seen the like before. Just pretenders who pretend to be the poorest ones. If they are poor, let them kiss my ass and hire someone else. But they do! They do hire those who are going to work for the crumbs they offer. Tell you what, PARDNER. For that reason I distaste proz.com as well. Is it normal that people jump up at every bid like a bunch of starving ones thus dumping the entire price? Proz, Im going to withdraw my name from your site. You are good for nothing.

Regards,

Alex.

Collapse

Isabel Peralta
Isabel Peralta  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
not many jobs either Nov 28, 2001

Hello, Matthias!

I am not as angry as Alex seems to be, but I have to say that I am happier to have another job at the same time as doing freelance translations. So far I have got a number of translations, always to be done very fast, and paid very slowly afterwards. None through proz, although I understand that I am not the best translator out there, and that it is a harsh world, and one has to fight in order to survive, and so on. I can see your point, the freedom, plus
... See more
Hello, Matthias!

I am not as angry as Alex seems to be, but I have to say that I am happier to have another job at the same time as doing freelance translations. So far I have got a number of translations, always to be done very fast, and paid very slowly afterwards. None through proz, although I understand that I am not the best translator out there, and that it is a harsh world, and one has to fight in order to survive, and so on. I can see your point, the freedom, plus the joy of working with languages, that only us, mad linguists can feel, and not everybody out of the business understands. But think how lucky you are, and don\'t take it for granted...not for everybody in the business, at least, as you might have to endure the anger and jealousy of some. It is grand, that you are doing so well! It gives me hope!

Isa
[addsig]
Collapse

Kate Persson
Kate Persson
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Wonderful? Nov 28, 2001

You are so right. I\'ve only got one job from Proz, as I DON\'t want to work for companies/agencies that only have one parameter: The price. I don\'t want to dump prices and I don\'t want to treated like trash! Nobody has ever bothered to give me an answer to my bids. How happy I am to have my wonderful client. I simply don\'t understand why profs want to submit bids at a lousy price - you\'ve worked hard to get where you are. It\'s wonderful, yes, to have your own customers you know!

... See more
You are so right. I\'ve only got one job from Proz, as I DON\'t want to work for companies/agencies that only have one parameter: The price. I don\'t want to dump prices and I don\'t want to treated like trash! Nobody has ever bothered to give me an answer to my bids. How happy I am to have my wonderful client. I simply don\'t understand why profs want to submit bids at a lousy price - you\'ve worked hard to get where you are. It\'s wonderful, yes, to have your own customers you know!

Get some and don\'t give up.

Kate
Collapse

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't agree Nov 28, 2001

Quote:

Mattias,

I really don\'t agree with you Telesforo. To run a website like ProZ.com is like any other stressful 9-5 job.

[addsig]

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Alex Nov 28, 2001

[/quote]Mattias, I woke up this morning with another hope that somebody sends me a translation via proz. I opened my box and as usually I saw a big fat zero in there. It was like the same yesterday, the day before yesterday the day before before before etc. So, me, with my skills and experience have to work for bullsh… (do I have to decipher?) here in this country. I guess, it is the same elsewhere worldwide. The buyers are so eager to get the best translation on time and for nothing, negotiat... See more
[/quote]Mattias, I woke up this morning with another hope that somebody sends me a translation via proz. I opened my box and as usually I saw a big fat zero in there. It was like the same yesterday, the day before yesterday the day before before before etc. So, me, with my skills and experience have to work for bullsh… (do I have to decipher?) here in this country. I guess, it is the same elsewhere worldwide. The buyers are so eager to get the best translation on time and for nothing, negotiating and bargaining every kopeika (or cent or penny or whatever). I believe you are lucky with your customers and I wish you the best. I have never seen the like before. Just pretenders who pretend to be the poorest ones. If they are poor, let them kiss my ass and hire someone else. But they do! They do hire those who are going to work for the crumbs they offer. Tell you what, PARDNER. For that reason I distaste proz.com as well. Is it normal that people jump up at every bid like a bunch of starving ones thus dumping the entire price? Proz, Im going to withdraw my name from your site. You are good for nothing.

Regards,

Alex.

[/quote]

Hello Alex.

I really agree with you. I think I\'ve got maximum two clients since I joined ProZ.com. Not much. And I understand that this business can be really hard too.

The thing to do is not to entirely rely only on ProZ.com. There is so much else you can do to promote yourself in this business:

* Send your CV to agencies.

* Call agencies.

* Proofread other websites, indicate the errors in a mail and send to the company.

* Translate other (small) websites as a service (even if they wont use it) to show your skill and enterprising spirit.

* Maintain a good website. Most translators websites doesn\'t look professional, and companies wont pay attention even if you\'re the best translator in the world.

* Advertise in the Yellow Pages. Here in Sweden, that\'s the most serious way to get companies attention.

* After you\'ve made your professional website, submit to search engines.

I hope you\'ve got some tips from this, and that you understand that you really don\'t have to rely entirely on ProZ to get good clients. Alex, I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Mattias Bergström

[addsig]
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 20:30
German to English
+ ...
Now, there's (finally) some good advice. Nov 28, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-28 12:32, Swedish-Tr wrote:

* Call agencies.

* Proofread other websites, indicate the errors in a mail and send to the company.

* Translate other (small) websites as a service (even if they wont use it) to show your skill and enterprising spirit.

* Maintain a good website. Most translators websites doesn\'t look professional, and companies wont ... See more
Quote:

On 2001-11-28 12:32, Swedish-Tr wrote:

* Call agencies.

* Maintain a good website. Most translators websites doesn\'t look professional, and companies wont pay attention even if you\'re the best translator in the world.

* Advertise in the Yellow Pages. Here in Sweden, that\'s the most serious way to get companies attention.

* After you\'ve made your professional website, submit to search engines.

Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
What about freelance programming ? Nov 29, 2001

Did you ever consider how much a freelance programmer earns ?

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
I agree with Matthias. Translation rules Nov 29, 2001

Maybe I\'m lucky and have good direct clients. I\'ve never won any bids on proz - but then I\'ve only ever entered two. The prices are just too low for me to even think about bidding.

I couldn\'t imagine ever doing anything other job than translating, and after working as an inhouse translator I\'m so very aware of the freedom freelancing brings - and I love it!

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 06:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
The damage is already done Nov 29, 2001

The damage is already done. Translators now are suggesting damage control measures.

Now, it looks like it is too late.

We all rushed like fools and see the consequences.

Alexander Medved
Alexander Medved
Ukraine
Local time: 03:30
English to Russian
+ ...
thanks all Nov 29, 2001

Thanks everybody: Kate, Mattias, WGP, and probably many others. I can’t say you’ve made my eyes water literally, however the moral support is that precious thing we all need from time to time. Thanks again. I do appreciate your advice and will certainly follow it. There’s one thing to be made clear: I am not starving, so there’s no need for sympathizing, e.g., not a Rockefeller but happy. My message’s purpose was to find out the entire opinion about the proz. bids and whether it is fea... See more
Thanks everybody: Kate, Mattias, WGP, and probably many others. I can’t say you’ve made my eyes water literally, however the moral support is that precious thing we all need from time to time. Thanks again. I do appreciate your advice and will certainly follow it. There’s one thing to be made clear: I am not starving, so there’s no need for sympathizing, e.g., not a Rockefeller but happy. My message’s purpose was to find out the entire opinion about the proz. bids and whether it is feasible to kick around this site at all.

Thank you guys, I owe you.

Alex

Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Low price bidding Nov 29, 2001

OK, some people really go for the bottom line, but far from everybody searching in ProZ is looking for the best price, rather for the best people to get the job done. Be the first one to bid and you\'ll often have the job, assuming you placed your bid professionally. I like ProZ as an industry portal. It\'s not my primary source for assignment, but it already got me some clients I do not want to do without.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Low price bidding Nov 29, 2001

OK, some people really go for the bottom line, but far from everybody searching in ProZ is looking for the best price, rather for the best people to get the job done. Be the first one to bid and you\'ll often have the job, assuming you placed your bid professionally. I like ProZ as an industry portal. It\'s not my primary source for assignment, but it already got me some clients I do not want to do without.
[addsig]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:30
SITE FOUNDER
Use ProZ.com as *one more* source of clients Nov 30, 2001

A survey taken last summer showed that ProZ.com users get only 10% of their jobs online. Indications are that this figure has risen...but no one should expect to get all of their work through ProZ.com. (Though there are a few people who do.)

ProZ.com should be one more tool you utilize to find clients. Many people complain of getting only one or two clients through ProZ.com. (One complained of \"only six\".) We are working hard to bring in more jobs, but unless you are very
... See more
A survey taken last summer showed that ProZ.com users get only 10% of their jobs online. Indications are that this figure has risen...but no one should expect to get all of their work through ProZ.com. (Though there are a few people who do.)

ProZ.com should be one more tool you utilize to find clients. Many people complain of getting only one or two clients through ProZ.com. (One complained of \"only six\".) We are working hard to bring in more jobs, but unless you are very aggressive and a talented marketer, you can expect to get a new client only every few months...maybe just one or two a year. (If you market yourself poorly, you may never obtain a client here.)

Platinum membership is not a guarantee of getting new clients. But it seems to help. Ask yourself if investing the $120 will result in finding one or more clients who, over the course of your relationship, will generate that much or more in income. If you are able to satisfy your clients´ needs on a long-term basis, there is no reason that one or two clients would not repay your investment many times over.

Note, too, that all the discussion about low rates is a bit overblown. Checking just now, I see that one client yesterday *asked* for a rate of 12 cents per word, and another for 9 cents. Many jobs are passed at these rates, and higher.´Half the battle is presenting yourself properly. The fact is the askers usually *do not* go for the lowest price. (Give them *some* credit!--these are professional people running agencies.)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The translation business is the best!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »