Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Time management tips for fulltime freelancing mums?
Thread poster: Nesrin
Diantha Guessous
Diantha Guessous  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
Member (2002)
French to English
meal preparation Jan 13, 2007

Hi Nesrin,
There are a lot of great ideas posted already. I'll concentrate on food. As an empty-nester, it's a lot easier for me to work without interruption than for those of you with kids still at home, but being organized about meal planning has never been my strong point. If you have that under control, maybe these tips for the "what are we going to eat" days will be useful to someone else.
Do you have a freezer you can use for more than ice cubes and popsicles? I still too
... See more
Hi Nesrin,
There are a lot of great ideas posted already. I'll concentrate on food. As an empty-nester, it's a lot easier for me to work without interruption than for those of you with kids still at home, but being organized about meal planning has never been my strong point. If you have that under control, maybe these tips for the "what are we going to eat" days will be useful to someone else.
Do you have a freezer you can use for more than ice cubes and popsicles? I still too often find myself wondering at the last minute what to make, but at least for several years now, I've been able to find the nucleus of a meal or sides in the freezer and not have to run out to the shops.
- raw meats, poultry and fish wrapped so you can defrost only what you need.
- if you make things like soups, stews, gratins, chili, stuffed peppers, legume and various veggie-only dishes, even mashed white or sweet pototoes, + various sauces, cooked fruit desserts, etc. make plenty of extra (you're cooking anyway) and freeze for the extra-busy times in practical portions.
- Ditto for muffins, scones, crêpes, cookies(biscuits), bread. Baked goods in general freeze well. Surprise the family at a weekday breakfast with nice hot muffins made a few months earlier when you had no work.
- leftover cooked pasta, rice, couscous,etc. are great to have on hand to use as such, or combined with other stuff for a new meal.
- time consuming additions: chopped parsley, cilantro, celery, even grated garlic- sure not a nice as fresh, but great to have on hand when hurried; they don't take much space. A supply of glazed sliced or chopped onions, sauteed chopped or sliced mushrooms, bits of leftover drippings or gravy are handy. -
salad/fruit items: grated carrot and orange salad and (with some sugar syrup) sliced oranges, melon balls and cooked berries or berry syrups - but I suppose you can easily get those in the supermarket

-btw, if you like to wash salad greens ahead of time, putting a piece of paper towel in the zip-lock will keep them better.
All the best,
Diantha
Collapse

Maureen Wilkins (X)
Maureen Wilkins (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
French to English
+ ...
Great ideas Jan 13, 2007

Hi Nesrin
This is a really good topic with some great ideas from everyone. I've found some good ideas here, even though I don't have kids.

I like the idea of an answering service, so you can concentrate on a particular job. I also liked Diantha's meal preparation tips, especially the idea of making soups and stews and freezing them, when you've got a slack period so they can be used in busy times.

Best Wishes to everyone
Maureen

Claire Titchmarsh (X)
Claire Titchmarsh (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:03
Italian to English
+ ...
Very, very familiar! Jan 15, 2007

Your list of priorities is almost identical to mine Nesrin!

Until about six months ago I was in exactly the same position, I used to wake up in the morning and literally not know where to start first, I was irritable and the house was a complete mess. This is what I did:

1) Declutter and re-evaluate à la Trinny and Susanna, but not just wardrobe. Start with timewasting clients, jobs you don't want but took because you felt obligated, junk in the basement, attic or on
... See more
Your list of priorities is almost identical to mine Nesrin!

Until about six months ago I was in exactly the same position, I used to wake up in the morning and literally not know where to start first, I was irritable and the house was a complete mess. This is what I did:

1) Declutter and re-evaluate à la Trinny and Susanna, but not just wardrobe. Start with timewasting clients, jobs you don't want but took because you felt obligated, junk in the basement, attic or on your desk. Less is more.

2) I got someone to come and look after the children on a Saturday morning (they are tiny and keep trying to unplug the hoover) while I blitz the house. Cleaners are an excellent idea but I am the sort of person who would be constantly following them round pointing out bits they've missed (control freak). All other housework is kept to a minimum during the week.

3) Democratic approach to husband, i.e. if I got up 5 times the previous night to see to crying baby then next time it's his turn. Train him to put own clothes away, locate the laundry basket and hang coat up (this is the most difficult part of all). To his credit, he likes cooking so shan't complain.

4) Pretend you have a "real" job, i.e think how many hours you've actually worked this week and how many you'd be expected to work if you were in an office, kind of thing. This helps you avoid accepting unreasonable requests from clients. I always build in a "child allowance" to my deadlines, and 8 times out of 10 the clients will let you have a few extra hours which can make all the difference.

5) Book holidays or time off well in advance and write them in your diary. I'm going back to England for a few days off in March and the thought keeps me sane when things get a bit manic.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time management tips for fulltime freelancing mums?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »