Thread poster: Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Netherlands
Local time: 07:13
English to Dutch
Jan 10, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I have recently started freelancing and business is going remarkably well. I have worked on some projects that would look really well on my CV. Do you think it is acceptable to mention the client (ZYX Software, for instance) and the nature of the project (localisation of ZYX NOW! software package) on your CV, or should you ask permission from the translation agency that gave you this job?

Thanks,
Marion

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:13
German to English
I don't list clients on my CV Jan 10, 2007

On my CV I list current projects as well as those from the previous year. I've found that listing the type of project suffices (e.g., localization of graphics software package, or maintenance instructions for cardiac assist devices). Although you may feel there is some prestige attached to working on projects for well-known clients, potential customers are generally more interestd in what you've accomplished rather than whom you've worked for. In fact, I've refused to work for clients who wan... See more
On my CV I list current projects as well as those from the previous year. I've found that listing the type of project suffices (e.g., localization of graphics software package, or maintenance instructions for cardiac assist devices). Although you may feel there is some prestige attached to working on projects for well-known clients, potential customers are generally more interestd in what you've accomplished rather than whom you've worked for. In fact, I've refused to work for clients who want to know who my customers are.Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:13
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Confidentiality Agreement Jan 10, 2007

Hi Marion,

As far as I know, before working on a job, we must sign a confidentiality agreement. There, it is stipulated that the translator shall not disclose the client's identity information. Therefore, you should contact the agency first for their permission if you want to put the client's information on your CV.

Good luck.

Anne Wosnitza
Anne Wosnitza  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
latest references Jan 10, 2007

Dear Marion,

I started freelancing a little while ago, as well, and I think it is a good idea to put some references in your CV. Mine contains the latest three to four references but I don'tp but clients names in it. A short (really short) description of what the job was about should do.

Example:
Website translation En->De

Regards
Anne

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
Do not use names without the client's permission Jan 10, 2007

I think that you can make a mention of your work in general terms, such as 'Worked on several/20/ etc localization projects in 2006' Or something like: 'Extensive experience in working with several software packages/models'

What you should not do is mention the clients name or be very specific so that people may be able to identify the company and specific product by reading you CV.

And all in all, always obtain prior *written* permission before making any specific ment
... See more
I think that you can make a mention of your work in general terms, such as 'Worked on several/20/ etc localization projects in 2006' Or something like: 'Extensive experience in working with several software packages/models'

What you should not do is mention the clients name or be very specific so that people may be able to identify the company and specific product by reading you CV.

And all in all, always obtain prior *written* permission before making any specific mention.

I am not a lawyer so I don't know all the details for sure.

Perhaps one of our legal Prozians can shed official light on this.

Good luck!
Lucinda
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:13
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I never list clients' names Jan 10, 2007

My resume goes out to agencies who are not only my employers but also my competitors. Why send your competitors a list of potential clients?

I don't currently list past projects on my resume, but if I did I'd use the wise approach suggested above: describe the volume and nature of the work without specifying the client's name.

The exception is published translations with your name on them. If you've translated a book and there's no confidentiality agreement attached, by
... See more
My resume goes out to agencies who are not only my employers but also my competitors. Why send your competitors a list of potential clients?

I don't currently list past projects on my resume, but if I did I'd use the wise approach suggested above: describe the volume and nature of the work without specifying the client's name.

The exception is published translations with your name on them. If you've translated a book and there's no confidentiality agreement attached, by all means list it.

[Edited at 2007-01-10 18:07]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Mentioning big names against confidentiality agreements? Jan 10, 2007

I think Marion asks about stating clients' clients or end clients.

If you state that you translated HP texts through agencies, I don't think it is against any non-disclosure rule.
Any agency dealing with IT assignments will send you one day or the next a HP press release, a Microsoft leaflet or a Cisco fact sheet.

I do state a few relevant names on my profile page, and some time ago, an outsourcer looking to translate software from one of them was directed to my p
... See more
I think Marion asks about stating clients' clients or end clients.

If you state that you translated HP texts through agencies, I don't think it is against any non-disclosure rule.
Any agency dealing with IT assignments will send you one day or the next a HP press release, a Microsoft leaflet or a Cisco fact sheet.

I do state a few relevant names on my profile page, and some time ago, an outsourcer looking to translate software from one of them was directed to my profile. Probably from a search engine or keyword entry in proz.com. And I got a massive project and a regular customer.
So stating names is far from useless businesswise.

Of course I won't state my own customers, but as long as I omit a link in the clients' client's... foodchain, I don't feel I disclose any state secret.

Moreover, I think that simply stating Microsoft instead of "software vendor who develop, market and sell the most widespread consumer OS in the world" or Oracle instead of "software that powers the Internet" is more legible.

Greetings from Casablanca,
Philippe
Collapse

Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jan 11, 2007

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes Philippe, that was exactly what I meant. I would never mention the translation agency, my client. I agree with Steven on that.

I think Hipyan has a point as well. I have signed some confidentiality agreements (though not with all outsourcers) and I'll have a look at those before I add information to my CV.

Thanks again!

Marion

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Placing previous projects on CV

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »